PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 clean installation

mhn10
11-21-2013, 07:49 AM
hi,
I just bought the g750jx along with a Samsung 840 evo 128gb ssd that I would like to setup as my boot drive . but I have got doubts on how to clean install windows 8.
1) so the laptop comes with the product key embedded in the bios. and will it retain the product key by itself during installation?
2)I heard that I need to download the windows 8 OEM version. if so,from where can I download this?
3) if I find the installation to be too difficult ,can I clone my hard disk to ssd. what are it disadvantages ?(TRIM support )

can someone post step by step procedures to be done.
thank you.

Pitcher@asus
11-22-2013, 09:41 AM
1. yes, it is embedded in BIOS,but i think it is ok install to new HDD.
2. you can find iso in microsoft website
3. i think is is easy way to install, you can download ASUS Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Knowledge) utilities and ghost to new hdd.

mhn10
11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
What does back tracker actually do? Is it a cloning software?

cosmicmango
11-24-2013, 04:39 PM
What does back tracker actually do? Is it a cloning software?

If you're don’t want to do a clean install of Windows 8 the easiest way to load the SSD is with Asus Backtracker, you can download from the link below.

Download and install the program, you will need a 16GB flash drive, if there’s data on the drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process.

When its finish shut down your system and swap out the HDD with the SSD, plug in the flash drive and the installation will start. When it is finish it will put everything as it was right out of the box.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

gazzacbr
11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
"everything as it was right out of the box"
yes, including all the asus crapware and trial junk...

mhn10
11-25-2013, 09:04 AM
What about hard disk partition alignment, TRIM support? Any issues? I heard it's better to fresh install onto an ssd than cloning a HDD to ssd.

Nehmia
11-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I would never wanna have that ASUS crapware and bloatware that they include. Even if you uninstall them, they will leave registry remnants still causing issues sometimes and less performance.

nothing ever beats a clean install