PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Asus g750jw

FurVik
11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Hmmm i'm considering to buy this laptop because of the beautiful design it has but I have some questions, if possible can
they be answered? :) Thanks alot

1. Is the Asus g750jw's GPU upgradable say to a 770? I've been looking around and people said Asus likes to use its own custom MXM GPU's?
2. How hard is it to access those fans..... As a cautious gamer I love to clean my fan and repaste the thermal paste but In the
g750 series im not seeing an opening at all....
3. How long will this model last in terms as how long before you have to replace this?
4. How long does a laptop last before repasting the thermal paste and cleaning the fans? I heard someone say laptops can go
7 years without that type of maintenance
5. Do you think this laptop is good for a college student? Is it too heavy or ok?
6. I've heard there have been some reports of LCD flickering? Is this a problem with every model or just a driver error?
7. Can the g750JW model be upgraded in terms of added a SSD, possibly a new Wireless card (Killer gaming ones)

(8. Do you recommend this laptop? :) )

Thanks a bunch
Sincerely a newb Gamer

villiansv
11-21-2013, 12:50 PM
1. As you said, Asus uses custom GPU models, so theoretically you could upgrade to a 770M IF it was Asus-made, for a G750 laptop. Whether G750's successor will use compatible cards is anyone's guess. 780M will likely not work, the G750JH was slightly redesigned to accomodate the card. CPUs are soldered on the motherboard and aren't replaceable at all.
2. You can blow compressed air regularly through the grilles in the back as a standard maintenance. Actually getting to see the fans requires you to remove the keyboard panel. Getting to repaste means you have to really get dirty and take out the entire motherboard. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html has pics which can help. It's not that easy, but does get easier the 2nd time around :).
3. Very subjective, depends on what quality you like to play games at. For school work/browsing/media it will last as long as the hardware lasts. Gaming, I'd say in 2 years you'll be playing the new games on low (really a guess, nobody can answer this)
4. Once again, depends on the quality of the original job. A good rule of thumb is to measure your temperatures and then if in a year they've raised by more than say 5 degrees, it's a good idea to repaste. Personally I repaste my laptops once a year.
5. You'll be hard-pressed to find a heavier 17" laptop. This doesn't mean you can't carry it around, of course - but if you have to carry a few hefty textbooks as well, it may get inconvenient. A small and light notebook + a gaming desktop or a console + tv may be a better bet, if you want the best of all worlds. Again, consider your specific needs and budget.
6. I didn't have any, but other people have had issues. I believe they've been sorted out by either uninstalling the asus splendid utility, or by manually setting a refresh rate >60hz. Plenty of threads about it.
7. Yes, it has 2 bays. You can use any 2.5" drive in them. As for wifi - the laptop has 2 antennas connecting to the wifi card (it's a half-height card, btw). You can definitely change the wifi card, but if the killer card needs 3 antennas you may end up with issues. Perhaps you can install a 3rd antenna yourself, I am not an expert on this. Refer to the disassembly guide I linked earlier for pics, you can find the wifi card directly to the right of the CPU (smaller) fan - the black and white wires connecting to it are the antennas.
8. Yes. I have the JX, and am absolutely loving the silent operation. This is the single best thing about the machine.

Hope I helped with this, good luck in your choice (even if it's not the Asus).

LeonardoTan
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
the design worth the trouble dude

FurVik
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
1. As you said, Asus uses custom GPU models, so theoretically you could upgrade to a 770M IF it was Asus-made, for a G750 laptop. Whether G750's successor will use compatible cards is anyone's guess. 780M will likely not work, the G750JH was slightly redesigned to accomodate the card. CPUs are soldered on the motherboard and aren't replaceable at all.
2. You can blow compressed air regularly through the grilles in the back as a standard maintenance. Actually getting to see the fans requires you to remove the keyboard panel. Getting to repaste means you have to really get dirty and take out the entire motherboard. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html has pics which can help. It's not that easy, but does get easier the 2nd time around :).
3. Very subjective, depends on what quality you like to play games at. For school work/browsing/media it will last as long as the hardware lasts. Gaming, I'd say in 2 years you'll be playing the new games on low (really a guess, nobody can answer this)
4. Once again, depends on the quality of the original job. A good rule of thumb is to measure your temperatures and then if in a year they've raised by more than say 5 degrees, it's a good idea to repaste. Personally I repaste my laptops once a year.
5. You'll be hard-pressed to find a heavier 17" laptop. This doesn't mean you can't carry it around, of course - but if you have to carry a few hefty textbooks as well, it may get inconvenient. A small and light notebook + a gaming desktop or a console + tv may be a better bet, if you want the best of all worlds. Again, consider your specific needs and budget.
6. I didn't have any, but other people have had issues. I believe they've been sorted out by either uninstalling the asus splendid utility, or by manually setting a refresh rate >60hz. Plenty of threads about it.
7. Yes, it has 2 bays. You can use any 2.5" drive in them. As for wifi - the laptop has 2 antennas connecting to the wifi card (it's a half-height card, btw). You can definitely change the wifi card, but if the killer card needs 3 antennas you may end up with issues. Perhaps you can install a 3rd antenna yourself, I am not an expert on this. Refer to the disassembly guide I linked earlier for pics, you can find the wifi card directly to the right of the CPU (smaller) fan - the black and white wires connecting to it are the antennas.
8. Yes. I have the JX, and am absolutely loving the silent operation. This is the single best thing about the machine.

Hope I helped with this, good luck in your choice (even if it's not the Asus).

THANKS ALOT! for the long and detailed answer ^^ you said you repaste every year? When you do, do you disassemble the laptop yourself? Or do you just bring it to ASUS stores etc?

the design worth the trouble dude

one word.. TRUE... The only reason im constantly looking back at this laptop is because of the beautiful
design it has... Right now im looking at the
-Lenovo y510p
-MSI gx60 3
-Asus n750
-Asus g750jw

and I keep coming back to the jw because of the beautiful design :)

villiansv
11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Regarding the repaste every year - I meant that in general (did it for my previous laptops). I haven't had this one that long, and as to whether I repasted it myself when I got it... let's just say I wouldn't admit to voiding the warranty on the official forums :) .

Maxter
11-21-2013, 06:36 PM
The laptop runs pretty cool... no need for re-pasting truly.