PDA

View Full Version : G75vx, problem with HDD. Sometimes not respondng!

Konstantin77
11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I have the following problem. My HDD is 750gb Hitachi which, for no reason that I am aware of, it maxes out and the computer becomes unresponsive. Usually, I have this problem with YouTube, or watching a video clip in vlc or mpc (both in latest editions) or even just hearing music, or watching a movie. What I observed is that disk utilization (task manager - processes) goes up to 100% and the computer stales (for some time,up to 1 min).

The laptop did the same before updating to win 8.1, so I thought that a fresh install of win 8 and upgrading to 8.1 would solve the problem. But no!!! Now I have very few programs installed, so I don't think it come from there. The task manager itself down show Disk 100% but does not verify any process that does actually consume the bandwidth. So I am left in the dark.

I can only hear a sound like modem when this happens. I initially I though that it came from the speakers, but I muted them and the sound persist. It comes from the HDD.

I read in the Intel RST that the data transfer rate is 3gb/s . should not that be 6gb/s? I installed Hard Disk Sentinel and the surface of the disk is fine (though health is 70%). When I did a read test, the HDD speed started from 130gb/s down to 65gb/s at the end of the test.

latest Intel drivers installed.

What else to verify before going for RMA?? maybe a driver issue? or motherboard problem? Any other test could give me an insight?

Thank you in advance.

TokoDude
11-21-2013, 04:06 PM
You"re HDD is probably 3GB/s because it's SATA 300

use this scans with CMD

Sfc /scannow
chkdsk /b /f /v /scan c:

And is it always on 100% even while doing nothing?
Check at task manager which programme uses the most disk %

What power plan are you using?

Konstantin77
11-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Q:"What power plan are you using?"
A: plan Power4Gear performance

Q:"And is it always on 100% even while doing nothing?"
A: Not exactly. When it start leveling up to 100% I am usually doing something, but then stay to 100% for some seconds to 1 min. during this time, I cannot do anything. Computer is completely unresponsive.
edit: It not known in advanced when the laptop behaves like this. I mention before the usual task that provoke such a reaction.

Q:"You're HDD is probably 3GB/s because it's SATA 300"
A: I never thought that they could use a sata2 HDD in a brand new laptop but I guess you are right
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-hard-drive-review,3270-2.html
I will check it in more depth right now, but still this does not explain the misbehavior of my system. I am using computer the last 20 years, I mean I know the difference if something goes wrong (I am not an expert tough)

edit: task manager does not mention which process consumes the bandwidth. it is refreshed regularly (task manager does not stall), the disk shows total usage 100% but the processes beneath usually do not add up to extreme numbers. I don't know why.

Clintlgm
11-21-2013, 06:51 PM
read in the Intel RST that the data transfer rate is 3gb/s . should not that be 6gb/s? I installed Hard Disk Sentinel and the surface of the disk is fine (though health is 70%). When I did a read test, the HDD speed started from 130gb/s down to 65gb/s at the end of the test.

Health at only 70% would be a red flag to me? I think I would put another hard drive /SSD in and see what happens

Konstantin77
11-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Low health is usual to Hard Disk Sentinel. It usually come from (in my case as well) from relocation event count. It is not an actual fault.

Clintlgm
11-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Unless i'm mistaken relocation events are caused by data trying to be moved out of bad sectors. a true sign that a hard drive is deteriorating. when your boot data happens to be in one or more of those deteriorating sectors it takes a long time for the hard drive to find the data somewhere else or not find it and a failure to boot or taking a long time to boot up. I have no experience with Sentinel I use HD Tune and I have RMA a ton of WD Black hard drive for this very reason over the last few years.

Konstantin77
11-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Still, watching you tube, should not involve HDD. My opinion is that something else is going on.

Konstantin77
11-24-2013, 09:19 AM
this may have to do with Firefox (waterfox) and/or flash player. But there other ways to reproduce that (as I said before vlc or music). Also, you can clearly see that there is no application that consumes the bandwidth. Nothing at all.

edit: the result with IE 11 the same, but I installed Chrome x32 and everything is running smoothly up to now. I will update for anything unusual.