PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-BBK8 screen upgrade help please

yieldtothepj
11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Good afternoon we had an accident involving a puppy, a glass of water, and my girlfriends G74SX. Water got underneath the screen bezel and two very large marks have formed on the screen. We opened the back panel, removed battery and let the unit dry out for a few days. She booted the unit back up and the two large water marks are there and she says the screen flickers at times. I am hoping it is just the screen that needs to be replaced. I have searched the forum and read about the instructions on how to replace the screen, but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. I would like to upgrade to a 1920x1080 panel instead of the stock 1600x900. I have seen a few online retailers that have a possible solution but when I inquired the person said I may need to upgrade the video cable also, is this true? I know not to get the 120hz 3D model is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for? Is there any other upgrades that need to take place to make the screen work? I'm not worried about voiding the warranty as it has already expired. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Pitcher@asus
11-22-2013, 03:53 AM
i thnk if you want to change LCD by youself, it have high risk, if you don't wanna send to asus service center, you can find computer shop to replace it.

Deathisgod
11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Did the water just hit the screen or was it in the whole comp wet?

How comfortable are you with taking the computer COMPLETELY apart?

If its just the panel size you are changing... all you need is the panel, the cables, and if that screen didnt come in a g74 you probably dont want to go down that road...

I have 2 acer's slapped together, its a 15" body with a 17" wide screen... looks messed up, but it works.

*edit* try to find a display driver for the screen you want first.

yieldtothepj
11-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see any water in the computer but i did see it was wet between the plastic bezel and the screen. I am not changing the size it's already a 17.3" inch screen, I just wanted to change the resolution and make it a full HD screen. Right now the native res is 1600x900 and if I need to put a new panel in i was wondering if it was just buy a new 1920x1080 panel and connect it. I was wondering if the video cable will handle the higher resolution and if there were any specific panels I should be looking into? Thanks again

Deathisgod
11-22-2013, 09:07 PM
I wouldnt think there would be any issues, as far as I know we all have the same mobo's, with the same outputs. - can someone confirm this for the op please.

I would try to grab the cables for the 1920x1080 screen to be safe.

Zygomorphic
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see any water in the computer but i did see it was wet between the plastic bezel and the screen. I am not changing the size it's already a 17.3" inch screen, I just wanted to change the resolution and make it a full HD screen. Right now the native res is 1600x900 and if I need to put a new panel in i was wondering if it was just buy a new 1920x1080 panel and connect it. I was wondering if the video cable will handle the higher resolution and if there were any specific panels I should be looking into? Thanks again
The cable should handle the higher resolution, provided that it is a standard LVDS cable. If not, then the cable should come with the display panel. As @Pitcher mentioned, it is a risky operation, because it involves taking the computer completely apart - like down to the individual screws and circuits, and removing the motherboard.

Deathisgod
11-23-2013, 01:45 AM
^ bah, i say... (at the risky operation part) I dont think the mobo needs to come out... ... now im gonna pull mine apart to check.

*edit* just pulled mine apart, no need to take the base apart. 27 screws, 6 rubber stoppers the clips around the bezel and the LVDS cable. (why is there a magnet sitting on top of the screen?)

OP
it comes down to what you are comfortable doing. yes, there lots of screws, yes it is plastic and it does break easy, yes it is glass and also breaks easy, yes you can fry any number of things on your mobo with static electricity... ... ...

If you have never taken any computer apart... it may not be wise to start with a computer that is still repairable/ worth money.

But if you feel up to it and you take your time, do some research and above all ask questions if you have any concerns or cant get something apart (please dont pry anything, nothing on a computer needs to be pried apart) you shouldnt have any issues.

yieldtothepj
11-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I went ahead and ordered a 1920x1080 panel last night. Thanks for all your help, I saw a youtube video on how to replace it I'm not worried about it, it seems pretty simple to do. Thanks again!

Zygomorphic
11-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I went ahead and ordered a 1920x1080 panel last night. Thanks for all your help, I saw a youtube video on how to replace it I'm not worried about it, it seems pretty simple to do. Thanks again!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :)

yieldtothepj
12-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Got the replacement in and took about 20 minutes to replace. The screen looks so much better, and I can't believe the difference in the viewing angles of the new screen. Thanks for all the help.

Zygomorphic
12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Got the replacement in and took about 20 minutes to replace. The screen looks so much better, and I can't believe the difference in the viewing angles of the new screen. Thanks for all the help.
Congratulations! Good to know that it works! :)

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 12:20 AM
^ x2

Now you can try upgrading the GPU... ... ... do it... ... ... ;)

Zygomorphic
12-07-2013, 02:31 AM
^ x2

Now you can try upgrading the GPU... ... ... do it... ... ... ;)
Is that a dare?? XD

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Yes... yes it is...

I take no liability for broken motherboards or fried GPU's

SHADO
12-07-2013, 03:05 AM
(why is there a magnet sitting on top of the screen?)

There is probably a reed switch in the same position under the palm rest. When you close the lid, the magnetic field of the magnet actuates the reed switch, shutting off the display. :)

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 04:07 AM
hmm... i did not know this... ingenious these Chinese (or what ever country g74's are made in)

SHADO
12-07-2013, 04:11 AM
hmm... i did not know this... ingenious these Chinese (or what ever country g74's are made in)

Actually, the Chinese had nothing to do with it, LOL. The reed switch has been around since 1936, and was invented at Bell Telephone Labs. :)

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 05:17 AM
I meant the implementation in the G74

SHADO
12-07-2013, 05:32 AM
I meant the implementation in the G74

Sorry. My bad. :( Don't quote me, but I believe reed switches have been used in laptops for shutting off the display since the early days of "modern" laptops. :)

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Could be, I only noticed the one in the G74 because my screw driver kept sticking to it when I took the screen apart.

SHADO
12-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Now that you mention it, I didn't even notice if there is one in my G75 when I replaced the screen. But I guess there probably is...