PDA

View Full Version : Recent heating problems on g53sw a1

jamesgillre
11-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I recently had a DC jack replacement repair carried out on my g53sw. Since getting it back the temperatures on my laptop have been noticeably higher. Also it has autoshutdown twice because the temperatures got so high under load. If I have it plugged in and system settings set to high eg. no power saving settings then the temperatures will easily go to anywhere between 70-80C. If I load a game it will reach 85-90. I don't think it was ever like this before the repair.

My question is what should I do to narrow down what is causing the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Update: even with it not plugged in, if it is on "kill the planet" power settings the temperature will rise to 70C+ on idle. This is obviously not normal. Does this suggest the technician messed up the contact between the cpu and heatsink?

Deathisgod
11-22-2013, 01:33 AM
who did the repair? joe blow or a reputable computer shop?

First thing I would do is check to see if the fans are blowing, they may not have been reconnected.

If they are blowing get cpuid and nvidia inspector/ some gpu monitoring software, see if one is ridiculously hot or if they are both running hot.
Check the voltages on both, if they are jumping all over the place the repair was not done properly and will burn out your chipsets, if this is the case, stop using your computer if you are on it now, come back on another device.

Let us know your results.

Pitcher@asus
11-22-2013, 03:45 AM
you mean when you repair back occur overhigh? i think if you jsut replace DC jack, it will not touch CPU or heatsink.

Deathisgod
11-22-2013, 04:06 AM
^ I could be wrong, but isnt it a lot easier to replace the dc jack by taking the mobo out of the case.

jamesgillre
11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Firstly it was carried out by a local reputable repair company although having opened my machine up myself to inspect they have not reinstalled all the screws. I see some holes without their screws. So perhaps they aren't as reputable as I once thought.

The motherboard was completely removed to access the DC Jack.

How would I inspect the fans functioning? I Have CPUID installed and the Nvidia prog, but I don't have any readings on the fans. It could well be that fans were disconnected though. It seems consistent with the problems.

In terms of the voltage which was your next question - looking on CPUID, I monitored the CPU voltage power over a 3 minute period on idle (just web browser open) and it fluctuated between 5.3W - 7.52W. I don't know if this is normal or abnormal. Battery voltage stays constant @16.7W, so seems it is charging appropriately.

Any further advice would be appreciated on how to get more info on the fans.

Thanks in advance!

Zygomorphic
11-22-2013, 11:08 AM
^ I could be wrong, but isnt it a lot easier to replace the dc jack by taking the mobo out of the case.
Yes it is, and everything has to be disconnected in order to do this. If the company didn't replace all the screws, then they're not what I would call reputable, if you ask me.

Deathisgod
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
^ I agree, but I've seen it a lot in reputable shops, whether it be a computer shop, automotive shop... ... thats why I learned to do it myself.

OP - Sorry I should have been more specific

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Deathisgod/vcore_zps9a1f2f82.png (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Deathisgod/media/vcore_zps9a1f2f82.png.html)

the vcore is what I was looking for. Try not to have anything running while cpuid is running, it will give you a different reading. If the vcore is jumping while nothing is running just have a look at the core speed and see if it is moving with the vcore. ie, vcore goes up, clock speed should go up.

In Nvidia inspector same deal, voltage on the left hand side. See if it moves up and down for no reason.
Same as the cpu, the 'current clock' and voltage should move relative to one another.

At the moment, to check the fans just put your hand on the exhaust port and see if you can feel them blowing.

jamesgillre
11-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that Deathisgod.

Okay in response to your enquiries:

1. The Core VID (ROG CPUZ) fluctuation varies depending on what power setting I have enabled.
(a) on my power saver mode its pretty constant around 0.760-0.780V.
(b) on my half power saver half performance mode it fluctuates a little more between 0.891-1.226V.
(c) on kill the planet mode (everything full performance) it floats around 0.776-1.226V. (similar to b).

N.B. All readings were taken when laptop was plugged into power plug. Also I observed that Clock speed does reduce in parallel to the Core VID increasing and vice versa. Perhaps this is normal operation like you explained in your post.

2. Nvidia inspector voltage is constant @ 0.820V.

3. Checking the fans: I can feel a definite fan blow on the right hand side outward. I believe the left hand one is functioning as well just doesn't seem as obvious.

As well as that I went to by computer repair shop again yesterday after calling them. The guy took my laptop overnight and I reluctantly passed it over. I got a call this morning and he repasted the cpu and gpu. He also replaced the screws that he failed to replace the last time.

The temperatures do seem lower now: I have turned it on left it at idle while performing these readings and it is approx 45 celcius average for the cpu cores. (This is with all power settings set to max performance and plugged in.)

Should I try stress testing it with a game to see if it can handle it?

jamesgillre
11-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Update: Just ran a game of BF4 and temperatures are maintained at 75C. So maybe I guess it just needed repasted?

Deathisgod
11-23-2013, 02:27 PM
seems like its fixed, he probably used the heatsink to pull the mobo out of the base and moved the heatsinks.

Its not overheating at 75c, but I would be saving up and looking for a computer tech that knows what they are doing to have the heatsinks repasted again with a good quality thermal compound. But thats just my opinion, and im slightly nuts...

If you are happy with the results, leave it.

jamesgillre
11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Yea I suspect he must have pulled the mobo out by gripping the heatsink. Although, I have been using the laptop for 2 years so perhaps it might have just needed repasted. I don't really know how frequently it needs done.

I am happy enough now though the temperatures are significantly lower.