PDA

View Full Version : G73jh DVD-RW drive causing overheating?

KC0GRN
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I've noticed a trend now on my G73jh where if I'm playing a DVD and surfing the web (normally I would try to play a DVD on a tv, but in certain situations, all I have is the laptop), after about a half an hour, the system locks up, and even rebooting causes locks until the laptop has had a chance to cool down.. say.. half an hour. I keep my system clean, so I don't think that is the issue.

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone else encountered this? I don't know if there's an actual problem with my laptop that would warrant having it repaired, or if the excessive heat is just inherent with the DVD drive being used continuously.

If the latter is more likely, I think my workaround would be to get a small external DVD drive, since my web tasks are a bit too much, and my internet connection isn't fast enough to support them and streaming media.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

xeromist
09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Have you monitored the temperatures of the CPU and GPU at all to see if it is in fact a heat problem and which component is causing the shutdown? Also, are the fans running at full speed?

KC0GRN
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I have checked the GPU temp, it runs around 50 degrees Celsius. Have not verified CPU temp, but good one to check on, I can say the processor isn't being overworked, I rarely see more than 50% utilized on any one core. I also need to find a good way to monitor fan speeds, as I cannot really tell if the fans are running full speed or not. For the most part, the laptop runs pretty quiet, even with the fans running.

I can say there is a decent amount of heat shedding from the two large vents on the back of the laptop. I haven't measured it with my infrared thermometer yet, but will try that as well.

xeromist
09-06-2011, 05:44 PM
If heat isn't being moved away from the CPU properly or it is being heated by nearby components it may not need to be overworked. Let us know what you find on the CPU temp.

KC0GRN
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Well this is bizzare. Two nights in a row of monitoring, and I can't get the problem to replicate.

I know I've had the same situation twice in the past, watching a DVD, it plays for about a half an hour, I split screen it, and have a few browser sessions open on the opposite side, some running flash games, a few multiple tabs, etc. After a half an hour, the system locks, and even after rebooting, the system would lock somewhere during the bootup process.

For the last two nights, I've run the same scenario, now monitoring temps on the GPU, CPU and Hard drive sensors via hwinfo32, as well as the fan speeds (which bounce between 1800 and 2800 rpm, not sure what full speed is on them, does anyone know?). Nothing has gone over 60 degrees C, and I haven't had a single lock even after 3 to 4 hours playing DVDs.

Perhaps about the only other thing I haven't replicated is if my laptop sits for a while while I'm off doing other stuff around the house, then come back to it. I have sleep mode shut off (in fact I disabled it and hybernation in windows), but the screen will black out and require you to hit a key to continue.

Is it possible after coming out of a dormant state that the fans aren't spinning up to full speed? I did leave it alone last night for 20 minutes and came back, everything appeared to be ok, no temp spikes or fan issues.

xeromist
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Odd. Then again it could be something really esoteric like a specific version of a specific web page that you had up in the background caused things to crash. Or maybe you have a fan that gets stuck periodically. Some rare problems can be really difficult to pinpoint. I guess all you can do is keep an eye on it.

KC0GRN
09-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Ok, tonight I booted up my laptop, which had not been plugged into a power source for 24+ hours, and right away had issues.

All CPU/GPU temps were in the 40-50 degree C range, nothing abnormally high. Fans were operating normally.

What appears to be happening is this, I have an SSD and the HDD both installed. SSD is a 64GB Microcenter branded Adata S599, Sata II. Once in a while, when I boot up, I'll notice the laptop boots off of the original HDD. I'll reboot, go into the bios, and notice the Hard Drive BBS Boot Priority has changed to make the HDD the 1st priority. I'll change it back to the SSD being first, and boot into the OS fine. This is now the 3rd time that I've noticed after an issue like this, I'll boot off the SSD, and roughly 15-30 seconds after bootup, the system hard locks. Multiple reboots produce the same problem, and it appears that if I let the laptop sit for 5 minutes and then boot up again, the issue is gone (as evidenced, I am up and running on it now).

With tonight's scenario, I think I have ruled out a thermal problem. As for upgrades on the laptop, I have installed an extra 4gb stick of Ram (samsung branded, matches the factory installed ram specs) and the SSD. I am going to check for any firmware updates for the SSD, I assume Asus hasn't released any Bios updates recently?

I think the DVD overheating issue also doesn't make sense at this point. The only scenarios I can think of would be some communications issue with the SSD, or possibly there is an issue with the Ram?

xeromist
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree on the communications issue with the SSD. It's almost like something needs to warm up first in order for it to detect the SSD properly. Definitely check for an updated firmware but you might also want to try exchanging the SSD if possible.