PDA

View Full Version : my new gtx 770 crashes with all games

Frins
11-23-2013, 01:34 PM
i installed my new gtx 770 on my desktop 3 days ago, i downloaded the lates drivers but when i play any game, from dota 2 to crysis 3, it crashes after a few minutes, i after clean instaled the drivers from the cd hoping those work, but they had the same problem, reintaled windows(8.1 pro) didnt work, then i tryied on windows 7 ultimate, didnt work, i dont know what to do and the nvidia forums arent helpfull, i already try all the possible fixes from there, but nothing. so i hope maybe someone here can help me, all the other parts from the pc are new, here are the specs:
I7-4770k
asus maximus serie 6 extreme
asus gtx 770 dcoc II
g.skill 4x4gb 2400mhz
asus blueray combo
thermaltake evo_blue 2.0 850w psu
120 ssd hyperx 3k + 2tb WD black
thermaltake whater extreme 2.0
i have 4x120mm fans and great air flow

if someone can give me step by step intrucctions it would be awesome, thanks in advance :)

Arne Saknussemm
11-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Frins

When you say 3 days ago....do you mean the system was working with another GPU until then?

Are you running everything at stock or are you OCing? If you have the system at stock and have clean installed and then installed the latest driver then quite frankly the card should just work....I presume the system worked and still works with whatever GPU you had before?

If you want to experiment you could download Afterburner or Precision X and downclock the card. Remove, in effect, the factory OC and see if the card works at a lower core frequency...if it does then maybe the factory OC is unstable and the card should go back.

Main point...if the system was and is stable with your previous GPU then just RMA the card

Frins
11-23-2013, 03:52 PM
hi
i was on the integrated hd 4600 from the i7, now im on the 770 but with standar windows vga drivers(stable but cant play), with nvidia driverd i have no problems until i go into a game, i dowloaded afterburned and underclockd, but didnt work. after seaching in nvidia forums im almoust sure the card is ok, a lot of people have the same problem even after rma the card. the problem is software related that why i posted on this section :), maybe i have to change some sething or something but i dont know maybe someone had the same issue and can help :)

Arne Saknussemm
11-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Hmm OK I get you...

By the way what RAM have you got there...a single kit or two kits of something? If two kits have you tried removing one of them to see if the same thing occurs...sometimes multiple kits don't play nice together...even though that platform seems pretty forgiving as far as mixing kits goes...

Frins
11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
it was a single 4 stick 4 gb each kit, dont think is the hardware i was playing AC:Blackflag on the hd4600 with no problems before the 770

Chino
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Just to discard it being a memory issue, can you please do 1 or 2 cycles of Memtest86+ on your RAM for me?

Arne Saknussemm
11-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah single kit should work fine...though you could test the RAM.

I myself would have less confidence in the card being fine, by this point...It should just work out of the box...the core is GK104 the same silicon as the 680 so it's not like teething problems on a new chip release. The drivers should be mature enough by now and if it still crashes on fresh installs of two different OSes I can't imagine it is a software thing

Have you tried an older driver like 314.xx?

Frins
11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
ok memtest86 said is all good :) i had run the windows memtest but this one seems way more pro
i did try with 314.22 but it dosnt support gtx 770 so i follow a guide to mod, but it even in the thread of the guide said it would only work to go around windows, not for gaming, some guys with this issue cant even log into windows because their drivers crash, i at least can. in the forums it said this have been happening for around 9 months and the drivers crash for many reassons, they said nvidia is solving them with each new driver. the problem happening in two OSes isnt that strange in my opinion since the driver is the same, but i dont really know much about the subject.

Duke of Alinor
11-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Have you disabled the integrated video?
This is a known bug if you have not, many games on changing scenes throw up a picture and the computer changes or tries to change to integrated video to save power.

Frins
11-23-2013, 10:33 PM
while i was testing i used a bios setting to use the gtx 770, i think that should have done it, but im no sure, if there is a way to do it in windows pls let me know and il try that :)

Frins
11-23-2013, 10:44 PM
now remembering something when i installed the card the first time i played cod ghost before instaling the latest drivers and it worked(windows8.1 comes with some nvidia drivers dont know the number) ill try installing win 8.1 again an test if it works with that, i remember i played online some teamdeathmaches, almoust sure it was more than 10-20 mins, maybe those drivers work
ill reply with the result :D

Duke of Alinor
11-23-2013, 11:34 PM
You are correct, has to be done in the BIOS

HiVizMan
11-24-2013, 01:47 PM
while i was testing i used a bios setting to use the gtx 770, i think that should have done it, but im no sure, if there is a way to do it in windows pls let me know and il try that :)

Yeah it is in the BIOS and very easy to do.

Second thing I have seen the same thing on another forum, the default drivers that came with the Win 8.1 install worked for that lad, and the others did not. So yeah if you can bare it do a clean install again.

Frins
11-24-2013, 09:00 PM
ok it didnt work i dont know what i did to be able to play cod ghost but while i was on windows standar driver all was good(coudent play but games didnt crash there was just massive lag) as soon as i instaled nvidia drivers(less than 2 mins after restart the drivers crashed and the screen turn black for like 10 sec) so im almoust sure it is software related(useless nvidia drivers), im still gonna send the card to the local asus tech support to see if they can see any problem with the card if they think everything is ok ill tell them ok then here is my pc make it work then, you think i can do that?

HiVizMan
11-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Please try the early drivers for that card, think it is v320.49 that was the first driver for your card.

Frins
11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
i already did :/ non of them work

Frins
11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
some were better but they all crash

HiVizMan
11-25-2013, 09:15 AM
RMA the card and your motherboard in for testing please mate.