PDA

View Full Version : I need some Win8 Pro features, will Asus sell a BIOS flash or can I change the key?

Duke of Alinor
11-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I know some non-reading idiot will respond with how I can put in a key and bypass the BIOS one....

The question is how I can change the BIOS so I can reinstall Win8.1 Pro and not have to put the key in every time. One of the features of the new system is that we will not lose out keys.

Some other idiot will ask why I need Win8 Pro....

HiVizMan
11-23-2013, 07:53 PM
No idiot will ask anything like that.

:D

This idiot will see to it that you get the information you need.

I do have one question however but first some back ground. I change stuff in my bios often, I change motherboards often, I even change CPUs and I always use the same Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1 - yeah I have to do the activation manually each time but my copy is legit and I only have one instance of Windows running so no worries there. Now my question why do you need to enter your key each time?

You can reinstall WIn 8.1 pro with which ever key you have, if you have bought a new key then there should not be any problems. If I have misunderstood please do try and expand further.

Maybe if you list your hardware, or if this is a notebook let me know and I will move it to the right section.

JimmyH
11-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Hey HiVizMan, I only purchased Windows 8 Pro and updated for free. I usually do the UEFI install. Is there anyway if I do a rebuild that I can install Windows 8.1 straight up? I tried the shortcut here. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only but it does not seem to work.

HiVizMan
11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Mate I am not sure that you can without the media to be honest. I have the media on my USB stick so all my installs are like that. What I can do is put a new SSD in and see how it goes. But that method you listed is only possible via an existing OS.

Classic_GOD
11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey HiVizMan, I only purchased Windows 8 Pro and updated for free. I usually do the UEFI install. Is there anyway if I do a rebuild that I can install Windows 8.1 straight up? I tried the shortcut here. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only but it does not seem to work.

Go here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
And download both installers.
Run the installer for Windows 8 enter your key and wait until the download gets to 1% then pause it and close the application.
Run the installer for Windows 8.1 - it will say the download ended incorrectly (or something like that) and will close the installer.
Reopen the installer for Windows 8.1 it will download Windows 8.1 ISO.
After it finishes it will allow you to create USB drive or DVD wit the OS.
Go here and obtain generic Windows 8.1 Pro key: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx
During the OS installation when asked for a key enter the generic WIndows 8.1 one.
When OS finishes installing and you get to your desktop go to Control Panel > System and click Activate - it will ask you for your key, enter your original Windows 8 Pro key and you're done.

Duke of Alinor
11-25-2013, 03:54 AM
I appreciate all the input, does the final 8.1 Pro install change the key in the BIOS so subsequent installs do not need to have the key entered?

Classic_GOD
11-25-2013, 09:17 AM
I appreciate all the input, does the final 8.1 Pro install change the key in the BIOS so subsequent installs do not need to have the key entered?I don't think so - there is no way to install clean Win 8.1 with Win 8 key so the only way to make clean install of Win 8.1 with Win 8 key that I know of is the method I gave you in the previous post and that requires entering the key twice. The only other way is to install Win 8 and update to 8.1 from the MS Store.

Nodens
11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
The part of the license that is saved in the BIOS/UEFI can not be altered by software. If you buy a new version of Windows, you are using the Retail channel and not the OEM one. Meaning the BIOS/UEFI is now irrelevant.

Installing directly 8.1 has no ramification or complication as both 8 and 8.1 use exactly the same license except for the Enterprise editions (which can not be bought..they are available on specific Microsoft channels only). Think of 8.1 as a Service Pack because that is what it is essentially. It's just Microsoft changing their OS development scheme to one that resembles Apple's. Nothing more.

Duke of Alinor
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks much for the information, I was Shanghaied by my company for a while so I could not answer promptly.
Looks like the 750JX notebook will only do Win 8, never Win 8 Pro in the BIOS key and Asus has no plans to sell a BIOS for that version of Windows. Now I know what software to take when I head out to strange places where IT support is non-existent.

Nodens
12-20-2013, 11:33 PM
No company sells BIOS chips to upgrade OEM licenses. You have to buy retail. This is how it works globally.