PDA

View Full Version : Flash BIOS without battery?

fjollon
11-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi,

I have a G750JX with the 207 BIOS. I would like to upgrade it to 208. However, when I try to flash it I am told I need to have the battery inserted and it needs to be charged at least 20%. I have never charged the battery since I never needed it and that way it will be unused when I one day sell the laptop.

One can update the BIOS on any stationary computer without a battery so why not a laptop? Is there a way to bypass this insanity?

Thanks!

juggar
11-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Sometime I wonder why people do certain things.... Anyway, the solution is simple, use the battery pack(charge it up first though). Im not sure why you think the battery wont degrade when not used. Its actually quite the opposite. And the fact that it has never been charged isnt going to help things.

Read this: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/lithium-ion-battery2.htm

"Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important."

I have found the above statement to be true from my own experiences. Just put the battery pack in and be done with it.

Pitcher@asus
11-25-2013, 06:42 AM
what toos do you use? i think it is win flash, can you try use ez flash in BIOS?

fjollon
11-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Oh, and I thought I was saving the battery for later.

Well, thanks for educating me. :)

It's the same regardless of method I use to flash the BIOS. It detects there is no battery and that's the end of the procedure. Time to charge. :)

simoyomismo
11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
there a tip; but for DELL laptops
it always works for me,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFnBLW4Uwpk
This switch, "/forceit", allowed the BIOS update to proceed anyway!
good luck,

fjollon
11-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind when the battery is dead (if it works for Asus)

Anyway, this battery necessity is a neat trick to sell batteries.