PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 G750JW help finding drivers

GonzaP
11-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello guys, I just bought the ASUS ROG G750JW. The machine its beautiful and all but I really dislike Windows 8. The problem is that on Asus oficial support page there are no drivers for Windows 7, only W8 and W8.1.
I'm afraid that Ill loose the USB 3.0 ports, also WiFi and sound (video is the easy part).

So, does anyone know where to download Windows 7x64 drivers for ASUS ROG G750JW ?

villiansv
11-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Google "g750jw clean install windows 7" (the actual link isn't allowed on these forums for some reason). It's really just installing the Win8 drivers though.

That being said, I do recommend spending a few weeks with 8.1. You can boot to desktop, you can set the start screen to always show all programs, so other than having a fullscreen start menu it's not really different. And it's not as if you're multitasking >>while<< browsing the start menu.

And while I agree that Metro apps are not that great on a non-touch device, you can find good uses for them. Treat them as useful widgets, for example. Set the laptop on the kitchen table, load up the Food & Drink bing app, start its handsfree mode, and you have a really useful cookbook that you don't have to touch and get dirty. There are of course many other apps that you can find useful, and the fully-functioning desktop is only a Win+D away.

GonzaP
11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Thank you very much good sir. I was not googling the correct words. The answer was a ********** forum thread.
Thanks again.

cl-Albert
11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Hello guys, I just bought the ASUS ROG G750JW. The machine its beautiful and all but I really dislike Windows 8. The problem is that on Asus oficial support page there are no drivers for Windows 7, only W8 and W8.1.
I'm afraid that Ill loose the USB 3.0 ports, also WiFi and sound (video is the easy part).

So, does anyone know where to download Windows 7x64 drivers for ASUS ROG G750JW ?

Also, you may want to consider backing up the original ASUS Win8 factory image to a 16GB or larger USB drive before you erase the ASUS Win8 factory image since there is no easy way to get it back once it's gone.
You can use the ASUS backtracker software (doesn't save data or anything else) from this page http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download

You probably will not be too interested in this, but for others that have more things installed in Win8, they may want to consider backing up the entire hard drive image instead with other software.

That being said, I do recommend spending a few weeks with 8.1. You can boot to desktop, you can set the start screen to always show all programs, so other than having a fullscreen start menu it's not really different. And it's not as if you're multitasking >>while<< browsing the start menu.

And while I agree that Metro apps are not that great on a non-touch device, you can find good uses for them. Treat them as useful widgets, for example. Set the laptop on the kitchen table, load up the Food & Drink bing app, start its handsfree mode, and you have a really useful cookbook that you don't have to touch and get dirty. There are of course many other apps that you can find useful, and the fully-functioning desktop is only a Win+D away.

Yes, agree with villiansv that you may want to consider spending a little more time with Win8/8.1 if possible to get familiar with it since it does take some time to get comfortable (but possible to get comfortable at least as long as all your applications work okay?).

From the Win8 'start screen' right-click the bottom left-hand corner to see a menu for many desktop items, or just start typing from the Win8 'start screen' to start searching for items you're interested in.
You can change the default programs in Win8 to use the desktop programs you are familiar with instead of the Win8 apps (for photos, music, etc.).

villiansv
11-25-2013, 07:29 PM
From the Win8 'start screen' right-click the bottom left-hand corner to see a menu for many desktop items, or just start typing from the Win8 'start screen' to start searching for items you're interested in.
You can change the default programs in Win8 to use the desktop programs you are familiar with instead of the Win8 apps (for photos, music, etc.).

Or use Win+X. On a laptop you tend to be closer to the keyboard anyways (due to touchpad), so keyboard shortcuts are quite nice. It's pretty much why the start screen was never an issue for me. Win key for start, then start typing name of app, then Enter. Worked in Win7, works in Win8. Plus the added benefit of Win+W for direct control panel search (can't recall if you could actually do that in Win7).

cl-Albert
11-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Or use Win+X. On a laptop you tend to be closer to the keyboard anyways (due to touchpad), so keyboard shortcuts are quite nice. It's pretty much why the start screen was never an issue for me. Win key for start, then start typing name of app, then Enter. Worked in Win7, works in Win8. Plus the added benefit of Win+W for direct control panel search (can't recall if you could actually do that in Win7).

Good point villiansv, and although I still haven't memorized or use many of the keyboard shortcuts myself, there is a list on the Microsoft website below for anybody that is interested (check under the 'Windows logo key keyboard shortcuts').
Win+C might be somewhat useful to open the 'charms' bar, but you can really swipe in from the right-side of your edge-sensitive touchpad as well.
Win+R opens the 'Run' dialog box for those that know their commands.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

For anybody interested in entering the bios holding the shift key while you restart Win8/8.1 to get to the 'advanced startup' screen comes in handy for me sometimes if you don't want to use the other ways.

royengland
03-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Has anyone found a better driver other than the generic monitor driver or Nvidia driver for the GTX 765M? The drivers is border-line pathetic. Display aint great at all.

The Jackal
03-04-2014, 01:24 AM
best to always use ASUS drivers from your laptop's support / drivers download page and do not install GeForce Experience otherwise it will auto update to the latest nVIDIA ones