PDA

View Full Version : G46VW successor?

Messerschmitt
11-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Is there going to be a successor soon for this G46VW?

First the G46 apparently is OOS in most locations. The hardware is also quite old. But the main problem is that this laptop is pretty much OOS everywhere.

I need a laptop before 2014 April, and I have been looking at either MSI or ASUS, and I liked the 14" factor. However, I'm not to fond of the keyboard layout of the MSI 40G, however, the specs are better than the G46. Hence why hoping for a new release.

rewben
11-26-2013, 01:25 AM
imo, it's better to get asus than msi. note that these are just my findings so it's entirely my opinion regarding laptops from msi.

msi laptops (even the highest end) has a funny configuration: power. their power bricks are usually imo underpowered (for instance, GT70 Dragon Edition 2 Extreme that comes with the extreme edition of cpu and 780m, guess what's the stock power brick capacity? 180W). they have to use battery to supply more power to the laptops when necessary. i am not really sure if that technology is good for both the power bricks and the battery in terms of the respective lifespans.

of course the wear and tear of such components depend on usage, and the additional components that you are going to put into the laptop (more ram's, more hdd's, more things usb, etc.).

ok maybe i am wrong. i didn't go deeper after this because it's just not for me.

Zygomorphic
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the forum, @Messerschmitt!

I'm hoping for a refresh, and it wouldn't surprise me if we see something when Intel's newest chips come out. The G46 is around the time where ASUS normally refreshes the system. I would recommend ASUS over MSI, since ASUS has better reliability, better customer support, and the system is better built (generally).

Messerschmitt
11-27-2013, 05:36 AM
So would you think the refresh to be by end of April next year?
I did really liked the keyboard layout and feel and built design. Maybe they can also give it more open slots for the components to change HDD or add ram like in the other G notebooks.

rewben
11-27-2013, 08:16 AM
afaik there is no news about new releases yet.

Zygomorphic
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
So would you think the refresh to be by end of April next year?
I did really liked the keyboard layout and feel and built design. Maybe they can also give it more open slots for the components to change HDD or add ram like in the other G notebooks.
I would expect there to be a redesign the end of this year, or early next, whenever the next generation of Intel chips comes out.
I doubt they will make the system more open, since the market fad right now is thin and sexy fashion accessories, not powerful computers for work and play.

Messerschmitt
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Then I shall wait until the beginning of next year to see what components they bring into the new G46 (if any comes out). As of now I am eyeing another brand due to their components being newer and similiar priced.

One other thing with ASUS laptops. Is it possible to fully wipe the system that it comes with and install my own using USB? Basically I want to format the entire HDD it comes with, use USB to install my Win 7 copy, and then install everything else from scratch from there. Therefore, does ASUS keep their components updated for their laptops? (Like ethernet, mobo chipset, etc).

I never keep the default OS and software laptops come with and don't care about recovery disks. Even with my current, very old laptop, I have wiped out everything and re-installed everything, just like I do on my home built PC's

Shawnnepc
12-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Then I shall wait until the beginning of next year to see what components they bring into the new G46 (if any comes out). As of now I am eyeing another brand due to their components being newer and similiar priced.

One other thing with ASUS laptops. Is it possible to fully wipe the system that it comes with and install my own using USB? Basically I want to format the entire HDD it comes with, use USB to install my Win 7 copy, and then install everything else from scratch from there. Therefore, does ASUS keep their components updated for their laptops? (Like ethernet, mobo chipset, etc).

I never keep the default OS and software laptops come with and don't care about recovery disks. Even with my current, very old laptop, I have wiped out everything and re-installed everything, just like I do on my home built PC's

Yes but it's likely that there will be no driver support for Windows 7 on any new ASUS laptops.

As far as refreshes go please visit : http://www.asus.com/us/News/ about upcoming / newly released ASUS products.