PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Asus G750jh

rutek
11-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi,

Simple questions guys. I am thinking about Alienware 18 and Asus G750jh. I don't know if I am right there but it is not possible to upgrade GPU on Asus where it is possible on Alienware. Also, SLI was not implemented in Asus rog series where Alienware is compatible with SLI and Crossfire X. Am I correct?

This will affect performance and shorten Asus' life in terms of gaming. Alienware 18 will allow you to upgrade whatever you want - up to the resonable point of course.

Please, enlighten me!

Cheers!

Shawnnepc
11-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Simple questions guys. I am thinking about Alienware 18 and Asus G750jh. I don't know if I am right there but it is not possible to upgrade GPU on Asus where it is possible on Alienware. Also, SLI was not implemented in Asus rog series where Alienware is compatible with SLI and Crossfire X. Am I correct?

This will affect performance and shorten Asus' life in terms of gaming. Alienware 18 will allow you to upgrade whatever you want - up to the resonable point of course.

Please, enlighten me!

Cheers!

Correct. No SLI & the GPU is not upgradeable.

Just because the Alienware is upgradeable doesn't mean it makes economic sense to do so. Aftermarket parts for the Alienware units are intentionally inflated by Dell in order to drive the user to purchase a new model instead of upgrade.

The ASUS units are also engineered for the parts inside of them.. They have excellent stability and cooling

villiansv
11-26-2013, 03:49 PM
G750JH has no SLI option.
CPU is soldered on the motherboard - you'll never upgrade that.
GPU is a custom-design mxm module. You can't upgrade that either, unless the future Asus G series laptops have the same design AND you find a spare card for them being sold anywhere. Very unlikely and in all probability prohibitively expensive.

You shouldn't compare the 18" alienware with the Asus, they are not the same type of laptop (SLI vs no SLI). In the end, with Alienware (even the 17" one, which you should be comparing the JH to) you're paying a lot more. Part of this is brand premium (a-la Apple), part is the upgradability, part is fancy design (childish in my opinion, but to each their own). It's up to you to decide where you want to spend your money on. Personally I'd go for the Asus, being cheaper, and invest the extra money in a large SSD, or nice headphones, or a trip somewhere. If you absolutely must have the SLI performance, then obviously the Asus isn't a contender. Though if you plan on upgrading the SLI setup in a year, be prepared to shell out a LOT of money (500 minimum, depending on what cards you choose).

Prostar Computer
11-26-2013, 07:14 PM
You're correct in that the ROG series provides no SLI or CrossFire option, or ease of upgrades with the GPU. With the G750JH providing a GTX780M, what more would you want to upgrade to? To be fair, not every game/piece of software is developed to utilize dual GPUs. It's akin to purchasing a R8 Spyder in L.A. and driving it in rush hour traffic 75% of the time. :p

The most upgrade friendly laptops tend to be Clevo systems.