PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Backtracker and Backing up your ASUS factory Win8 Recovery Partition

cl-Albert
11-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Noticed there are people erasing their ASUS Win8 factory image and having trouble getting it back.
Often you will need to return the notebook to an ASUS service center to reinstall the original ASUS factory Win8 image if you have not backed up the recovery partition first.

If necessary, please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker software.
If you check the FAQ below, ASUS Backtracker is officially supported for your model only if you can find it under the downloads for your model.
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013622
(http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013622)
It may or may not work for other models and if you still want to give it a try, check the FAQ with the 64-bit and 32-bit Backtracker download links below.
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641/
(http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641/)
For those that are wondering as of 1/6/14 the latest version of ASUS Backtracker v3.03 still does not provide the option to back up to DVDs, so you will want to use a 16gb or larger USB drive for this and earlier versions.

ASUS Backtracker does not save any data, so back up other items separately if necessary, or find a third party program to back up your entire hard drive image instead if you prefer.

1. More info summarized below at this thread for those that are interested or still have questions: How do I use Backtracker? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40695-How-do-I-use-Backtracker&country=&status=)

I figured out the answer to my own question. Here it is for anyone else who wants to know.

Boot up the computer that you want to run Backtracker on. Download the Backtracker zip file to that computer, or copy it from another computer using a network, flash drive, or whatever you've got. Unzip it, run the setup, and it installs. It puts an icon on the desktop -- just run it.

2. Feel free to reply directly to this thread about using ASUS Backtracker on the newer G750 models that came with Win8.1:
Does Asus Backtracker work on Windows 8.1 for the G750JS-DS71? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48382-Does-Asus-Backtracker-work-on-Windows-8.1-for-the-G750JS-DS71&country=&status=)

3. If anybody has had problems booting from their USB drive after backing up with ASUS Backtracker, check post #3 at the thread below about deleting all existing partitions before using ASUS Backtracker:
Problems upgrading GL551JM with an SSD and using backtracker - solved (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60709-Problems-upgrading-GL551JM-with-an-SSD-and-using-backtracker-solved)

Skedar
12-16-2013, 02:46 AM
I live in South America, so i dont have a service center in my country :(

And if you guys make a Ghost Image ? its more easy...

(sry for my english)

cl-Albert
12-20-2013, 01:57 AM

Hopefully, it's not too late, but if you back up your image first using the ASUS Backtracker software, you will not need to send your notebook to a service center for reimaging.
Otherwise, you should be able to use the back up from somebody else with the same model if you can get it.

Unfortunately, don't believe Ghost is free, so guessing this is why we did not go this route. If you already have a copy of Ghost and a good Windows image, you can probably make your own back up?

Hope I understood your question correctly and my answers are clear.

jclrita
12-20-2013, 08:54 AM

(sry for my english)

You can try Easeus todo backup to ghost your system (http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/partition-backup/ghost-windows-7-hard-drive.htm).

Skedar
12-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Yes i understand cl-Albert,

i change my HD to a 7200 Momentus XT with i alread have...i try copy the partitions, but it is impossible...because my HD is 500gb, and i need a 1tb to do that...so i try another method, and its dont work....and because that i dont have the factory S.O anymore.

I will try make my own 8.1 its the only way.

jclrita -

i try Easeus, Partition Magic Live-CD, And a loot of another programs FREE, but if i make the ghost using a custom free space, its dont work..i dont know why, its only work if i use 1tb HD (and i did..but my other 1tb HD is the same, Samsung 5400rpm).

the most people hate the Factory SO, but i love =(

and again sry for my english..my "write" is terrible, but i understand and i can read everything.

Kantm
01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Erm, i added a SSD to run windows from, i have an iso image of Windows 8 OEM version, which should automatically add OEM Product Key only, which was embedded in our bios.

Then just put the ASUS disc in and get whatever driver/bloatware you want originally went with the thing.

If anyone need, just give a holler, i wont be up here a lot, so contact me at Kant.nguyen on Skype.

Angellus
01-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Erm, i added a SSD to run windows from, i have an iso image of Windows 8 OEM version, which should automatically add OEM Product Key only, which was embedded in our bios.

Then just put the ASUS disc in and get whatever driver/bloatware you want originally went with the thing.

If anyone need, just give a holler, i wont be up here a lot, so contact me at Kant.nguyen on Skype.

Off topic, how did you get that awesome signature?

Xclam
01-14-2014, 04:34 AM
Question, I noted that the download options for Backtracker include W8 but not Win8.1 will it work with 8.1 ?
Thanks !

cl-Albert
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I've been able to get ASUS Backtracker working on some Win8.1 64-bit upgraded notebooks, so it's worth a try in my opinion.

amitabhbansal
01-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Friends i am from India, i am going to buy G750jx-c069p in next 2 days, i saw this thread and curious to know one thing, like all the others laptops have a software by which when we start the lappy first time it ask us to create the recovery discs so that we can recover everything by those discs if the hdd gets damage or so, this laptop doesnt have this feature? Please let me know
Thanks

cl-Albert
01-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If you didn't already plan to, you may want to check/confirm with your store or local ASUS support from this contact page (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en).

Although the software may or may not be preinstalled on your unit, you can download and install ASUS Backtracker from the ASUS download site if necessary.
Also, the recovery partition is backed up to a USB drive instead of DVDs if it matters.

Hope this answered your question, but please let us know if it didn't.

amitabhbansal
01-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If you didn't already plan to, you may want to check/confirm with your store or local ASUS support from this contact page (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en).

Although the software may or may not be preinstalled on your unit, you can download and install ASUS Backtracker from the ASUS download site if necessary.
Also, the recovery partition is backed up to a USB drive instead of DVDs if it matters.

Hope this answered your question, but please let us know if it didn't.

Thanks Albert for the information, today i bought it and found that there is no pre-installed any software by which we can create a recovery disc or so, i contacted customer care and they told me to use BackTracker for it and it will only create a restore pen drive not disc, well i am facing some issues on it so will try it later, right now the problem is, when i started it first time it started giving me some kind of error and restarted, then again it happen so i recovered it, this notebook has 750GB+750GB HDD and in explorer it was showing 4 drives of 350GB each, after recovery when it started the 2 drives dissappear and only C and F was showing, i contacted customer care they told me to recover it again (RESET PC FULLY) i am doing it, from 5pm till time 8pm only 49% is completed, waiting for the result and hoping for the good.
Thanks

Edit by cl-Albert: amitabhbansal, hope it's okay to reply in your post and that everything turns out okay. If you're still having problems with the partitioning though, please start a new thread about the problem, so that it will be easy for others to find it who have the same question, and we also keep this thread just about backtracker issues. Thanks!

jmindrup
01-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Posting an alternative link i found, it seems the primary link in this thread does not want to work quite correctly.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=asus+backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Edit by cl-Albert: Thanks for the notice and updated my original link.

Destructis
02-06-2014, 02:24 AM
First post..

I have been reading here for the last couple of weeks. I recently bought the G750JX - DB71. I want to put a Samsung EVO 840 500 gig http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147255&ignorebbr=1 I want to use it as my primary boot drive and move the 256 SSD to make it an extra storage drive. The Samsung comes with it's own migration software but I worry that it might not pick up my restore portion off the 256. If I back up the 256 with the ASUS Backtracker, and then use it to try to install the OS on the Samsung, would that work?

If anyone has any experience with the migration software from Samsung and can tell me if it will make a complete clone, then I would be good with that. I have only had the G750 for a couple of weeks, so I am going to restore it to factory before I try to make the transition. There won't be much that I will need to reinstall. I am just trying to think everything through before I make the change, so any advice would be helpful.

So change the drives and then boot and install from ASUS Backtracker or use the Samsung migration tool? Which would be the easiest and cleanest?

One last question, is the restoration on the C Drive with the OS or on the partitioned F Drive since the 256 is split?

Sorry I am still learning about SSD's and about the G750 (which I love so far)

Nehmia
02-07-2014, 11:09 PM
so if I have backed up my recovery partition to an external 16 GB USB Flash Disk

How do I restore it should the need arise?

cl-Albert
02-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Just boot to your USB drive back up and follow the screen prompts. It's very straightforward.
Hopefully you have a second or spare drive you can test it on in case something goes wrong, but I haven't heard of many problems with this so far.

Not too sure if the size of the second hard drive will make any difference if it's not the same as the original hard drive, but guess we may find out.

Nehmia
02-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Just boot to your USB drive back up and follow the screen prompts. It's very straightforward.
Hopefully you have a second or spare drive you can test it on in case something goes wrong, but I haven't heard of many problems with this so far.

Not too sure if the size of the second hard drive will make any difference if it's not the same as the original hard drive, but guess we may find out.

thanks man, just wanted to make sure it's not the F9 key I have to enter but rather just boot to the USB

cl-Albert
02-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Yes, as long as your hard drive is still okay, the ASUS Backtracker USB back up can reinstall the original ASUS factory image with recovery partition, or in other words, you should be able to install it on a blank hard drive.

Yes, thanks for the reminder, but you might also want to try 'F9' first to see if your recovery partition is still working and skip using the USB back-up.
May not make too much difference although you should have the option to 'refresh' as well as 'reset'/recover if 'F9' works, so I would probably try to 'refresh' first if possible.

Nehmia
02-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Yes, as long as your hard drive is still okay, the ASUS Backtracker USB back up can reinstall the original ASUS factory image with recovery partition, or in other words, you should be able to install it on a blank hard drive.

Yes, thanks for the reminder, but you might also want to try 'F9' first to see if your recovery partition is still working and skip using the USB back-up.
May not make too much difference although you should have the option to 'refresh' as well as 'reset'/recover if 'F9' works, so I would probably try to 'refresh' first if possible.

no im good bro, i deleted the recovery partition after I created a backup

What stops me from using the factory installed OS is the myriad of driver updates I have to do to get it up and working that's why I prefer to do a clean install so I don't get any driver files or registry entries remnants.

Additionally, even if I use the McAfee Removal Tool, if I search the registry, I still find some entries for McAfee so clean install works best I guess.

cl-Albert
02-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Yes, it's really up to you of course how you want to run the system.

At least you have a back up of the factory image if you ever need it.

gazzacbr
02-27-2014, 04:30 AM
...Additionally, even if I use the McAfee Removal Tool, if I search the registry, I still find some entries for McAfee so clean install works best I guess.

haha, i tried to remove the pos McAfee with that tool and my laptop never restarted. also it would not recover from the built recovery partition.
the most satisfying thing i did was a complete format of the hard drive and a clean install.
"are you sure you want to format the disk?" oh yes, i really am :)
"all your data will be lost" ok, so that's the good news then..

no bloat/crapware and no problems since (with wndows :p )

Antronman
02-27-2014, 04:38 AM
haha, i tried to remove the pos McAfee with that tool and my laptop never restarted. also it would not recover from the built recovery partition.
the most satisfying thing i did was a complete format of the hard drive and a clean install.
"are you sure you want to format the disk?" oh yes, i really am :)
"all your data will be lost" ok, so that's the good news then..

no bloat/crapware and no problems since (with wndows :p )

On a scale of 0-100, 0 being the worst and 100 being the best.
McAfee is the 0 of antivirus software, Norton is the 100.

UltimateKyo
02-27-2014, 05:21 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm currently using Windows 8.1 and have not used backtracker at all before, so I would like to clarify a few doubts I had.
I had purchased a Samsung 840 Evo SDD to upgrade my G750JX, but because my current condition of the laptop was super slow despite showing that my processing speed and Ram all these are working normally. I suspected that it might be a cause of my 5400RPM HDD therefore I intend to change them, but I am also afraid there's some sort of registry problem which are causing the lagness on my pc, so just to check if the backtracker will only back up the pre-installed asus image with windows 8/8.1 or do the software backup my entire system up?

In addition, do you guys recommend me to do a reinstallation of windows 8 then 8.1 instead of using backtracker? Please assist me in my problems, I would really appreciate them.

cl-Albert
02-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi,

If your unit came with Win8 originally and you upgraded to Win8.1, ASUS Backtracker only backs up the original Win8 factory recovery partition.
After you restore the ASUS Backtracker back-up, your computer software will be the same as when you first bought it.
If your notebook came originally with Win8.1, I haven't tried ASUS Backtracker on these units yet, but should work the same way.

You need to save your data separately and reinstall all your programs, or find another utility to back up your entire hard drive image if you prefer.

I don't get involved with upgrades much, so you may want to hear from others about your other questions, search for earlier threads about it, or maybe start a brand new thread about it.

UltimateKyo
02-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Hi cl-Albert,

Thanks for replying me, you actually answered 80% of my queries. So now I will use the backtracker to store my backup, as for restoring, I should wait till my SSD is fixed in to the system before I do it right? I wonder if I restore from the default factory image, can I choose to put the image in my new SSD or do the system just recognize the original HDD and put them there?

Hi,

If your unit came with Win8 originally and you upgraded to Win8.1, ASUS Backtracker only backs up the original Win8 factory recovery partition.
After you restore the ASUS Backtracker back-up, your computer software will be the same as when you first bought it.
If your notebook came originally with Win8.1, I haven't tried ASUS Backtracker on these units yet, but should work the same way.

You need to save your data separately and reinstall all your programs, or find another utility to back up your entire hard drive image if you prefer.

I don't get involved with upgrades much, so you may want to hear from others about your other questions, search for earlier threads about it, or maybe start a brand new thread about it.

cl-Albert
02-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi UltimateKyo,

This may be the point you want to get more opinions or start a new thread if you run into problems since I don't follow upgrade issues as much, but from what I recall in previous threads there are people who have reported both success and failure trying to restore the ASUS Backtracker image to an upgrade SSD drive.

Unless you have a better way to install Windows, it's probably worth a try.

If you haven't seen it though, rewben has some good information about G55/G75 upgrades that can probably help for your situation, but also has a lot of information related to clean installs that you don't need to worry about right now:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=

As far as restoring the image goes, you may be able to disable your normal hard drive in the bios before installing the ASUS Backracker image to your upgrade SSD, but I'd probably just pull out the normal hard drive temporarily when you install the SSD drive to avoid the possibility of any 'accidents'.

Good luck!

Dbillman
03-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Albert, I've done the unthinkable and failed to backup the 480 MB partition which I believe is necessary for restore. I don't know why I didn't check it for backup but I didn't. Where can I get just the files needed for that partition? I backed all the others.

G750VW

cl-Albert
03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Dbillman, sorry to hear that and you may want to first confirm your model under the notebook since we have both G75VW and Win8 G750JW models, but no G750VW model, and if it is the G75VW, also confirm if it came with Win7 or Win8 (feel free to edit your post if you prefer and I may edit mine afterwards about this).

Not sure how easy it will be to rebuild the partition (others may know better than I since I haven't fooled around with this), but unless somebody else has a back up (do you know anybody else with the same model or a local store willing to let you back up the image?), the notebook normally needs to be sent back to ASUS to be re-imaged unfortunately.

Well, once you confirm your model, hopefully we can find a better solution or somebody else has better ideas.

If your current image is working fine though, consider backing up the entire disk image and using it instead if you ever need to reinstall Windows?
This may even work better and save you some time rather than erasing everything and going back to the original factory image ('reset' in Windows terminology) although Windows 'refresh' is probably not working either.

Dbillman
03-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Albert,

The model is G75VW and the partition sizes are:

System
FAT 32 300MB Basic GPT

Recovery
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 600MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

OS (C:)
NTFS 94.51GB Basic GPT

--------
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 450MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

APPS (D:)
NTFS 122.1GB Basic GPT

Restore
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 20.1GB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

It was very late at night when I backed up the partitions using Acronis and just can't figure out why I didn't do the 450MB with all the others. I'm figuring that's where the problem is having deleted it and now I can't restore it. Could it be as simple as it missing it's partition name?

I don't know anyone who has one of these to get the partition copy from and know of no service centers in the Eastern US. This is a real problem with service, even the smallest issues become nightmares because we can't get service on machines made in Asia.

Any help anyone can give to put me back to where it's factory with all the partitions would be so greatly appreciated!

cl-Albert
03-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Dbillman, unfortunately, I don't ever repair disk partitions myself and probably will not be able to help you a whole lot with this which I assume is a Win8 G75VW system.

If you're interested, you may want to post a new thread about this in the G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks section to try to get more help from those owners, or maybe check with your local ASUS support, but not sure how much they can help with this:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you haven't done anything else to your original hard drive, I know there are third-party utilities out there to undelete files, but not sure if they can undelete a partition if you want to look into this.

Otherwise, you probably already know you can always contact ASUS support to send back your system for re-imaging if it's really necessary, but you will need back up all your data first.

Dbillman
03-26-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks, I'll post in the other forum, try to restore the partition and maybe call ASUS. I know of several occasions where the recovery media was purchased and it didn't even work. There's nothing worse than having a $2000.00 brick because something in Windows is corrupt and the restore/recovery didn't work. It sucks that we can't have recovery media anymore without paying additional money or that service means two months of waiting for the laptop to return.

hmscott
03-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Albert,

The model is G75VW and the partition sizes are:

System
FAT 32 300MB Basic GPT

Recovery
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 600MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

OS (C:)
NTFS 94.51GB Basic GPT

--------
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 450MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

APPS (D:)
NTFS 122.1GB Basic GPT

Restore
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 20.1GB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

It was very late at night when I backed up the partitions using Acronis and just can't figure out why I didn't do the 450MB with all the others. I'm figuring that's where the problem is having deleted it and now I can't restore it. Could it be as simple as it missing it's partition name?

I don't know anyone who has one of these to get the partition copy from and know of no service centers in the Eastern US. This is a real problem with service, even the smallest issues become nightmares because we can't get service on machines made in Asia.

Any help anyone can give to put me back to where it's factory with all the partitions would be so greatly appreciated!

When this happened to me I was still able to use Asus Backtracker to build a recovery USB drive. Then I backed up all my data to an external drive. Pulled out the 2nd bay drive - Backtracker will erase it before building the boot drive - and also disconnected the USB drive just in case. And, after the Backtracker restore, I had all my partitions back as original.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=asus+backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

But, IDK if Asus Backtracker is supported on your system. Mine is a G750.

I needed a 16GB drive, an 8GB drive did the job too, but Backtracker backed up less stuff, so I went with the 16GB - Backtracker used 12GB of it.

And, yes you can put the SSD in the 1st bay and Backtracker will restore to it, making it the boot drive.

Let us know how you work it out. :)

Vastari
04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm going through this whole SSD upgrade process, too.

I'm going to use Backtracker to restore to the SSD. So, I can remove the HD it came with just to make sure Backtracker doesn't kill it (i want to keep it intact in case anything goes awry).

My main question is there ANY reason to switch the position of the HD and SSD? The HD comes installed on the left side (when the laptop is upside down) so the newly installed SSD was placed in the open SATA slot on the right. Is there any significance to the physical connection in terms of boot and/or drive letter?

hmscott
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm going through this whole SSD upgrade process, too.

I'm going to use Backtracker to restore to the SSD. So, I can remove the HD it came with just to make sure Backtracker doesn't kill it (i want to keep it intact in case anything goes awry).

My main question is there ANY reason to switch the position of the HD and SSD? The HD comes installed on the left side (when the laptop is upside down) so the newly installed SSD was placed in the open SATA slot on the right. Is there any significance to the physical connection in terms of boot and/or drive letter?

Vastari, the BIOS settings and security settings are setup to match Bay 1, where the boot drive is. You can spend time resetting everything from scratch, or just swap places with the existing boot drive.

At least that is the way it was the first time I tried it all myself. You could experiment and try doing it with the drives in different locations, and let us know how that works out for you.

As with any cloning of a boot drive, you should pull the original boot drive before booting after the cloning, otherwise it will likely not boot on the SSD and continue booting on the HD.

Vastari
04-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Vastari, the BIOS settings and security settings are setup to match Bay 1, where the boot drive is. You can spend time resetting everything from scratch, or just swap places with the existing boot drive.

At least that is the way it was the first time I tried it all myself. You could experiment and try doing it with the drives in different locations, and let us know how that works out for you.

As with any cloning of a boot drive, you should pull the original boot drive before booting after the cloning, otherwise it will likely not boot on the SSD and continue booting on the HD.

I was able to transfer the OS to the SSD using ASUS Backtracker. I pulled out the HD so that only the SSD was available and it created a new C: boot drive on the SSD. I didn't have to swap positions of the HDD/SSD or alter any BIOS settings to do so. I re-formatted the original HD to make it a data disk and now the system is as quick as I'd hoped now that everything is running off the SSD. I have to say, the factory HD is really slow.

Thanks for the help, hmscott.

hmscott
04-11-2014, 04:22 AM
I was able to transfer the OS to the SSD using ASUS Backtracker. I pulled out the HD so that only the SSD was available and it created a new C: boot drive on the SSD. I didn't have to swap positions of the HDD/SSD or alter any BIOS settings to do so. I re-formatted the original HD to make it a data disk and now the system is as quick as I'd hoped now that everything is running off the SSD. I have to say, the factory HD is really slow.
Thanks for the help, hmscott.

Cool, so the Backtracker Recovery fixed the boot options, good to know - thanks Vastari!

It would also be nice to know if cloning alone would also work, pulling the HD after cloning to the SSD in bay 2, and if the system would boot on the SSD. Or, if changing the boot options manually would be required.

Vastari, did you happen to copy down the original boot options and compare them to the boot options in the BIOS after doing the recovery to the new SSD in Bay 2?

Vastari
04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Cool, so the Backtracker Recovery fixed the boot options, good to know - thanks Vastari!

It would also be nice to know if cloning alone would also work, pulling the HD after cloning to the SSD in bay 2, and if the system would boot on the SSD. Or, if changing the boot options manually would be required.

Vastari, did you happen to copy down the original boot options and compare them to the boot options in the BIOS after doing the recovery to the new SSD in Bay 2?

I didn't keep track of the boot options, but the BIOS was never something that got in my way during the upgrade.

As for cloning, before I used Backtracker as described above I originally cloned the HD using Easeus Backup to transfer the image to the SSD since the application will optimize for SSD and reconfigure partitions to match different sizes. Now, I know a lot of people have success going this route and I thought it would be the most direct method of getting the factory image onto the SSD, but when I cloned the drive and forced Win8 to boot using the SSD, I had all sorts of problems (probably due to the SSD boot drive being "A" and the factory HD being drive "C" and windows being very confused which was which).

Now, if I had cloned the drives and then physically swapped them inside the laptop I may have been okay.

hmscott
04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Now, if I had cloned the drives and then physically swapped them inside the laptop I may have been okay.

Vastari, yes that is the way that works the easiest. Remove the original boot drive, and put the SSD in it's place.

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Dear Albert, thank you for yur support. But you, just like a lot of the documentation, support text, need to be careful when writing!
You say in oroginal post "ASUS Backtracker does not save any data"... which made me wonder what it saves and how usefull it might be. You obviously mean "personal data" (pictures, documents), but Backtracker saves a lot of DATA: about 12 GB!!!!!

I would really love if Asus' software interfaces, manuals, websites, would show clearer and unambigous text, because dark sentences are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I work in the localization business and am maybe oversensitive, but.... Please consider this thinking in the end-users.

CapnKerk
05-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Noticed there are people erasing their ASUS Win8 factory image and having trouble getting it back.
Often you will need to return the notebook to an ASUS service center to reinstall the original ASUS factory Win8 image if you have not backed up the recovery partition first.

If necessary, please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker software at http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=asus+backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa before erasing it.

For those that are wondering as of 1/6/14 the latest version of ASUS Backtracker v3.03 still does not provide the option to back up to DVDs, so you will want to use a 16gb or larger USB drive for this and earlier versions.

ASUS Backtracker does not save any data, so back up other items separately if necessary, or find a third party program to back up your entire hard drive image instead if you prefer.

More info summarized below at this thread for those that are interested or still have questions: How do I use Backtracker? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40695-How-do-I-use-Backtracker&country=&status=)

Can that be backed up to asus cloud storage?

cl-Albert
05-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Can that be backed up to asus cloud storage?

No, unfortunately, ASUS Backtracker only backs up the ASUS recovery partition to a USB stick.
There should be third-party back-up utilities out there that you want to look into as well if you're trying to do something else.

SeattleROG
06-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Hello,

I bought my G750JZ from GenTech PC. As part of the order options, I had them create a backup disk and perform a clean installation. Now when I run ASUS BackTracker I get this message:
I haven't peeked at the disk they created for me (oops), but i'm imagining (hoping) that it is the Win8 Recovery Partition. Thoughts on this anyone?

E

cl-Albert
06-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I bought my G750JZ from GenTech PC. As part of the order options, I had them create a backup disk and perform a clean installation.

Hi,

You probably want to confirm with your reseller later, but if you say they did a clean installation, this may mean they also deleted your recovery partition since this normally would only come with the ASUS Windows image.
Checking Windows 'Disk Management' should tell us more about this.

Yes, you might need to check or ask about the backup the reseller provided for you, but it might just be a back up of your current 'clean installation' since ASUS Backtracker will only back up to external USB last I heard, but haven't checked into it recently.

If you confirm you have this and don't mind this arrangement of clean install with back-up of the original clean install image, it should be okay, but one other thing you may want to check is if you are able to 'refresh' or 'reset' Win8/8.1 (if that is what is installed?) if it matters since they normally don't work if the recovery partition is missing.
It's possible the disk they gave you may allow you to 'refresh' or 'reset' (well, the 'reset' just erases everything and reinstalls Windows, so if you have a back-up, it's the same thing) from within Windows, but if this is the case, you might also want to find out if you can still reinstall Windows with your disks as well, or figure out how you should normally do this.

Well, I'm not as familiar with the clean installs, so I'm getting a little out of my area and we may want to get more opinions from others, but you probably want to do a little more investigating and talking to the reseller too later.

Hope you find this helpful.

SupaFaztG
06-11-2014, 12:02 AM

If necessary, please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker software at http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=asus+backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa before erasing it.

More info summarized below at this thread for those that are interested or still have questions: How do I use Backtracker? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40695-How-do-I-use-Backtracker&country=&status=)

Hello cl-Albert!

Got my new G750 JX-TB71 and installing the Samsung 840 EVO like lots of us and had a fairly simple question of confirmation on the USB flash drive to use for Backtracker.

I keep reading that a 16GB stick is correct and will work perfectly but I also read that the Win8 32-bit system will use about 12GB+ BUT that Win8 64-bit, which is what a lot of us have, needs 20GB of space to create the Backtracker image.

Even you say "...please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker..."

Will 16GB be enough to create a PERFECT backup?, cuz I got a fast 16GB Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 (190 Mb/s!) coming that I bought specifically for this.

Some were saying even an 8GB stick had worked "for some reason" but I want to make sure 16GB will work and NOT because it's just not copying 4GB of some sort of "non-essential" files just to get it backed up.

Could you please confirm for sure yea or nay on the 16GB USB drive, please.

Thanks! :confused::)

rathaROG
06-12-2014, 04:21 AM
Done for my G56JR! :cool:

cl-Albert
06-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Will 16GB be enough to create a PERFECT backup?, cuz I got a fast 16GB Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 (190 Mb/s!) coming that I bought specifically for this.

Some were saying even an 8GB stick had worked "for some reason" but I want to make sure 16GB will work and NOT because it's just not copying 4GB of some sort of "non-essential" files just to get it backed up.

Could you please confirm for sure yea or nay on the 16GB USB drive, please.

Thanks! :confused::)

Hi SupaFaztG,

Sorry for the delay.

Haven't done a whole lot of ASUS Backtracker testing on a lot of models recently, but was able to back up to a 16GB USB drive on the G750JW with ASUS Backtracker v3.03 successfully, so expect a 16Gb USB drive would be enough usually.

Actually, if you run ASUS Backtracker, it will tell you how much space is required before you even plug-in the USB drive, so you can probably try this.
As far as I can tell, the space required may vary from model to model (and image to image?), but usually is under 16Gb.

Even you say "...please back up your ASUS Win8 recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive using the ASUS Backtracker..."

Was trying to say that you could use a USB drive larger than 16Gb if you wanted to, and not that it would be necessary (it might be for some models or situations that I'm not aware of though?).
Anyway, if you trust the Backtracker software, just run it to see how much space it asks for.

Got my new G750 JX-TB71 and installing the Samsung 840 EVO like lots of us and had a fairly simple question of confirmation on the USB flash drive to use for Backtracker.

I may be worrying too much, but not sure how well Backtracker will always work restoring to other hard drives instead of the original/original sized drive, so something we may need to keep an eye on.
There are newer Backtracker versions available though if anybody wants to try them.

Hope this answers your questions, but feel free to get more opinions if you wish.

xcaetano
06-29-2014, 08:31 PM
the laptop does not come with some recovery DVD of the OS?

hmscott
06-29-2014, 11:50 PM
the laptop does not come with some recovery DVD of the OS?

xcaetano, most laptops don't come with a DVD any longer, they come with a recovery partition on the boot disk. The Asus Backtracker lets you create a bootable Flash drive to restore in case of emergency - it restores the laptop to exactly like you received it out of the box. It doesn't back up personal files or application installs / updates done afterwards.

A 16GB USB 3.0 (fast) flash drive is a good first purchase, and then do the creation of the bootable recovery flash install first thing when you get the laptop - before making changes.

PanikAtak
08-02-2014, 05:13 PM
hello friends
Asus G750 JX erased my laptop replacement? I can not do what you need?

One member of this link and have given the recovery partition?
I wonder if these files useful?

G-Guy
08-02-2014, 08:12 PM
All of this was very heplful for the future

DuffmasterFresh
08-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Once the backup image is created by ASUS BackTracker, can the file on the USB drive be moved to a hard drive for storage and then put back on a blank USB drive once it is needed?

Can I still install all of my programs and use BackTracker later? I know BackTracker doesn't save programs and files which is fine with me but I haven't loaded anything to the computer yet and I really need to put programs on here. I don't have a backup USB drive yet, which is why I'm asking if I can perform this later, even after I have been using the laptop normally.

EDIT: I just used a super slow horrible 32GB SD card to run ASUS BackTracker. It took about 3.5 hours to make it and it took up 18.4GB on the SD Card. It renamed the SD Card "RECOVERYHDD". I don't know what't in that 18.4GB but I know my windows 8.1 recovery partition is 20GB on my G750JZ

cl-Albert
08-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Once the backup image is created by ASUS BackTracker, can the file on the USB drive be moved to a hard drive for storage and then put back on a blank USB drive once it is needed?

You may want to check with others since I have not tried it, but don't believe you can do this since working with bootable USB drives always seems to be a bit tricky.

Can I still install all of my programs and use BackTracker later? I know BackTracker doesn't save programs and files which is fine with me but I haven't loaded anything to the computer yet and I really need to put programs on here. I don't have a backup USB drive yet, which is why I'm asking if I can perform this later, even after I have been using the laptop normally.

Yes, you can run BackTracker later on, but just in case it doesn't work and something in your software is related to the problem, it's better to get this done before you install too much stuff. I may worry too much, but just something to consider.

EDIT: I just used a super slow horrible 32GB SD card to run ASUS BackTracker. It took about 3.5 hours to make it and it took up 18.4GB on the SD Card. It renamed the SD Card "RECOVERYHDD". I don't know what't in that 18.4GB but I know my windows 8.1 recovery partition is 20GB on my G750JZ

Not sure that you can actually boot to an SD card with the G750JZ, so try to test it out if you can to find out if that backup is any good to you.

haha541
08-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi, i used ASUS G750JW Model OEM , i recently updated from WIndows 8 to Windows 8.1 and had been receiving lots of problems and i just could not find a way to restore to factory settings and it just prompt that i can't do it. I do not have any recovery backup to restore. Any idea how to fix this issue? This update is really causing a huge fps lag in games.

FalconFX
08-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Hey, I just want to ask, I have 2x750GB 7200rpm drives in my JH, and i'll swap one of them for a SSD soon, i want to know if i can still use the recovery img that i made in the USB drive, and will it wipe all the data in the 750GB drive that i will keep using beside the SSD ??

hmscott
08-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey, I just want to ask, I have 2x750GB 7200rpm drives in my JH, and i'll swap one of them for a SSD soon, i want to know if i can still use the recovery img that i made in the USB drive, and will it wipe all the data in the 750GB drive that i will keep using beside the SSD ??

FalconFX, yes, so don't forget to pull out the 2nd bay drive before doing the restore - otherwise the recovery restore will re-partition the 2nd bay drive as part of the restore and you will lose all of your data!

Congrats on getting the SSD for a boot drive, you will notice a big difference in performance. Which SSD did you get?

Let us know how it works out :)

FalconFX
08-19-2014, 08:47 PM
FalconFX, yes, so don't forget to pull out the 2nd bay drive before doing the restore - otherwise the recovery restore will re-partition the 2nd bay drive as part of the restore and you will lose all of your data!

Congrats on getting the SSD for a boot drive, you will notice a big difference in performance. Which SSD did you get?

Let us know how it works out :)

Hey, no i didnt get it yet, im kinda broke :D, but ill tell you how it will turn out when i get one.

Do you have any recommendations for a 250gb one ?

hmscott
08-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Hey, no i didnt get it yet, im kinda broke :D, but ill tell you how it will turn out when i get one.

Do you have any recommendations for a 250gb one ?

FalconFX, my C drive is 2 x 128GB, 256GB total, and it is too small, so my first recommendation would be to get a 512GB or larger SSD :)

I use a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro as my D drive, and install all the big stuff there - not on the C partition, so that helps. I tried using the 512GB SSD as a boot drive, and it was fast, but not as fast as the RAID0 - and it was noticeable enough I reassigned the drive functions and am back to the 256GB RAID0 as the C drive.

I waited for about 3 months or so to watch for the 512GB 840 Pro to go on sale, got it marked down from $499 to $425, a great price at the time :)

There are lots of new SSD's now, and more coming, so do us a favor and go out and find the reviews out there, and get a list together of the best of the best - and look for sales on those to get a larger one affordable, then report back and let us know what are the current best choices :)

Wulff
08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
On a scale of 0-100, 0 being the worst and 100 being the best.
McAfee is the 0 of antivirus software, Norton is the 100.

Wait, what? for me those 2 are both the wotrst of the worst there is :D.

Im using eset nod antivirus here, try that as well perhaps if you have to choose between them.

Karl78
09-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Hy guys. Have you ever tried Backtracker 3.0.7? Is it only for Win 8.1? Because on my 750JX with Win 8 crashes. No problem instead with Backtracker 3.0.3

hmscott
09-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Hy guys. Have you ever tried Backtracker 3.0.7? Is it only for Win 8.1? Because on my 750JX with Win 8 crashes. No problem instead with Backtracker 3.0.3

Karl78, thanks for letting us know.

I haven't used Backracker since I created my USB 3.0 16GB Flash Recovery drive, and I think it was v3.0.3 that I used - long since uninstalled.

Did you also try 3.0.4 or 3.0.6?

The main Backtracker support area only has Windows 8.1 32/64 bit installers for Backtracker, v3.0.3, v3.0.4, v3.0.6, v3.0.7

The JX support area only has Windows 8.1 version 3.0.7, so Asus thinks it should work on the JX. In the JX support area there is no Backtracker download for Windows 8.0 in Utilities or Others - so I would assume v3.0.7 is the one to use on the JX.

You might want to file a complaint / bug report to Asus via a Technical Inquiry with the details of the problem you found.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with the problem details.

Let us know what Asus says :)

Karl78
09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi. Me too, i used 3.0.3 many times ago for flash recovery, but sometimes i check if there's something new (not drivers only) on Asus site. My 3.0.3 is Win8 version, but i downloaded 3.0.3 Win 8.1 and it's the same (i think: same files and dimensions too). It's right, now the only versions of Backtracker on Asus Download area are Win 8.1, but a couple of months ago there were also Win 8 versions (not 3.0.7, it was only under Win 8.1 section, if i welll remember). I didn't try 3.0.4 and 3.0.6. I have my USB recovery, so i have no need to use Backtracker 3.0.7 (and i can use 3.0.3), just curiosity :) Anyway, i would like to do a factory reset soon and the win 8.1 update, so i will also check 3.0.7 on Win8.1

hmscott
09-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Hi, i used ASUS G750JW Model OEM , i recently updated from WIndows 8 to Windows 8.1 and had been receiving lots of problems and i just could not find a way to restore to factory settings and it just prompt that i can't do it. I do not have any recovery backup to restore. Any idea how to fix this issue? This update is really causing a huge fps lag in games.

haha541, it looks possible to re-set the recovery info in the upgraded Windows:

Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition - Solved
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39197-unable-use-built-asus-recovery-partition-2.html

Nicely stated in post 1, solution starts in post 12, if you get it sorted out after reading the thread, please post the instructions with images here so others can benefit too.

samboy87
09-17-2014, 04:22 PM
hello Asus/Rogfans! i got an G750JS model and wonder if i need to use Asus Backtrack , and make an recovery if i already have an recovery on my SSD, that was build in with my laptop? i havnt changed drives. and when i press ''F9'' i get a menu that says that i can recover..

and 2: question is, if i can do a normal recovery that i got with this Pc, can i do the fresh install or does it just recovering from how my laptop was when i first bought it?

thx in advance!

hmscott
09-21-2014, 03:31 PM
hello Asus/Rogfans! i got an G750JS model and wonder if i need to use Asus Backtrack , and make an recovery if i already have an recovery on my SSD, that was build in with my laptop? i havnt changed drives. and when i press ''F9'' i get a menu that says that i can recover..

and 2: question is, if i can do a normal recovery that i got with this Pc, can i do the fresh install or does it just recovering from how my laptop was when i first bought it?

thx in advance!

samboy87, it is a backup in case of the disastrous inevitability of a disk / ssd / raid0 failure - it is a must have investment - when you lose the recovery partition / disk you lose any chance of recovery unless you have that Flash recovery drive created and sitting on the shelf waiting for disaster. It may never be needed, but if you have a loss of the recovery partition - it is your only recovery alternative to RMA back to Asus.

I recommend making that back up first thing after unboxing the laptop, just in case.

16GB, or 32GB, the Asus Backtracker program only creates an up to 20GB partition, and get a fast USB 3.0 flash drive - and lastly, do a recovery test run on a spare 2.5" drive - maybe your secondary drive - the 2nd bay drive - just to make sure your Flash drive backup is working.

You don't get a set of DVD's anymore, you need to create your own flash drive :)

aidilashari
09-26-2014, 06:20 AM
how to back up recovery partition windows 8.0 Rog 750jx, I want change HDD to SSD drive...? Iam trying asus backtracker but not working.

hmscott
09-26-2014, 08:41 AM
how to back up recovery partition windows 8.0 Rog 750jx, I want change HDD to SSD drive...? Iam trying asus backtracker but not working.

aidilashari, what isn't working? Are you able to use Asus Backtracker to create a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, or does that fail? Some USB flash drives aren't compatible. Some create ok, but fail during the recovery to the SSD. Is that the failure?

More details are needed :)

The latest version of Asus Backtracker can be downloaded here, it should work for Windows 8.0 as well. v3.0.7 has worked for many people, I think v3.0.3 works fine as well.

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

aidilashari
09-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Yaaa... app can't asus backtracker way, the message appear in the windows 'has been stopped working' I still use USB 2.0 32 GB. do i need to replace the flash drive support usb 3.0 ?

hmscott
09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Yaaa... app can't asus backtracker way, the message appear in the windows 'has been stopped working' I still use USB 2.0 32 GB. do i need to replace the flash drive support usb 3.0 ?

aidilashari, I have used a USB 2.0 16GB drive, a recent issue from Sony, so it isn't so much USB 2.0 vs 3.0 as it is compatibility - try a new USB 3.0 16GB that should work fine.

Did you try it a couple of times, in different USB slots?

aidilashari
10-10-2014, 05:19 PM
hmscot, thanks for answer
I trying usb 2.0 or 3.0 remained the same result. after googling some forums I found the application to clone hard drive "Reflect", because the main purpose I use the SSD with windows orgnal.After I clone the HDD to the SSD and have installed Asus Backtracker then running normally usiing usb 2.0

hmscott
10-10-2014, 07:39 PM
I trying usb 2.0 or 3.0 remained the same result. after googling some forums I found the application to clone hard drive "Reflect", because the main purpose I use the SSD with windows orgnal.After I clone the HDD to the SSD and have installed Asus Backtracker then running normally usiing usb 2.0

aidilashari, thats good news :)

You might want to do a test restore from the recovery flash drive you created with Asus Backtracker - at least one person had a successful creation, erased their disk, then did a restore - which failed - leaving them without a recovery mode - so be sure an test the restore from that flash drive before blowing away the original disk :)

Have fun :)

Chacet17
11-13-2014, 02:14 PM
So my friend has the G750JH and it came with windows 8 and he upgraded to windows 8.1 and know it says him recovery partition is missing we tried backing up his partition on a usb drive and it is not working. will this be able to fix his issue? Thanks

hmscott
11-14-2014, 04:05 AM
So my friend has the G750JH and it came with windows 8 and he upgraded to windows 8.1 and know it says him recovery partition is missing we tried backing up his partition on a usb drive and it is not working. will this be able to fix his issue? Thanks

Chacet17, reading aidilashari's reinstalled Asus Backtracker after using Macrium Reflect to clone from the HDD to an SSD, and after re-installing Asus Backtracker, was able to run it successfully.

It sounds like your friend could try uninstalling Asus Backtracker, and then installing a new version downloaded from Asus - that is what I would try. At the time Asus Backtracker was originally installed on his G750JH Windows 8.1 wasn't out - try a new version of Asus Backtracker built for use on Windows 8.1.

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Please come back and let us know if this works for your friend :)

Protervis
02-15-2015, 06:01 PM
I am thinkng just to reset my laptop to its factory state by using F9. I dont need and dont mind about the files (music,movies). Do i have to do any of those steps? If not will i be able to have the laptop as i first purchased? Thanks in advance for responses

hmscott
02-15-2015, 08:59 PM
I am thinkng just to reset my laptop to its factory state by using F9. I dont need and dont mind about the files (music,movies). Do i have to do any of those steps? If not will i be able to have the laptop as i first purchased? Thanks in advance for responses

Protervis, reset gives you an out of the box config, you do lose all your changes / stuff, so back up everything you want saved before doing the F9 reset.

Justink
03-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info, I wish I would have seen this before I messed up my G750jm..

hmscott
04-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info, I wish I would have seen this before I messed up my G750jm..

Justink, I would think Asus would do well to include a preloaded USB flash drive with an Asus Backtracker backup already on it, or at least provide the flash drive and prominent instructions on how to do the Asus Backtracker Backup. But, for some reason they don't, so we try to pick up the slack here and recommend using Backtracker first thing when you get your laptop, before doing any thing else - as you say before something happens.

anrky
04-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Good Day

About last year Feb, I bought a G750JH, never made recovery disks for it as I figured it was a similar setup to the G74 I had before this. Having Win 8, I straight away did the upgrade to 8.1. A couple months down the line, I feel the need to do the factory reset and of course there is no more recovery files in the partition. So up until now I still have not done a factory reset. I have now downloaded ASUS Backtracker Ver 3.08.
I realise I would need the 16gb or larger flash drive. My question is, can I run backtracker now and if so, what will it be backing up. Is this process best to do while having internet at hand (Im travelling and internet is very poor) for driver downloads?
All Im trying to do now is get a fresh start without having to send my machine to a repair centre or something.

Thank you very much

rodhagler
04-30-2015, 02:33 PM
someone who has the G750JS model could create one link to download the recovery ? restored my G750JS and gave problem , I'm from the south america do not have to submit to restore my system .

Sk3daR
05-22-2016, 01:34 PM
I need the backtracker for my G750, but no one links are working !

you guys PLEASE, have the program to share with me?

upload in some mirror site or in a drive.

i dont know whats happening but no one links to download the backtracker are working.

cl-Albert
05-23-2016, 04:27 PM
You may want to tell us which G750 model you have, but I see ASUS Backtracker posted under the 'utilities' section of some of the G750 Win8.1 64-bit downloads if you want to check it again.

Otherwise, if ASUS Backtracker is not posted for your model, it's not officially supported on your model if it matters, but you may still want to give it a try.
The links for the original post (post #1) have been updated if you still need a way to download ASUS Backtracker, but if you have any troubles finding it, please let us know. Thanks.

gcm_rukawa11
06-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Any bro here has a factory default image for G75VX? Thanks in advance.