PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for 2 month old g73sw

jabba77
09-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I have a new g73sw and something weird started happening today. My screen goes black then comes back with the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered", I'm really worried! It's not temp related as I have checked with hwmonitor. Can anyone help? What shouls I do?

xeromist
09-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Do you have the latest video driver installed? Also, does it seem to happen when you are doing anything in particular? Browsing the web, playing a game, randomly when doing nothing at all?

jabba77
09-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Don't think I have the latest driver. Just the ones out of the box. seems to happen when I click on anything like opening my browser or watching a movie. Stuff like that. Just finished playing crysis 2 and far cry 2 a week ago with no problems. Just started recently.

xeromist
09-07-2011, 01:35 AM
OK, first make sure that you have the latest drivers. You can either check the ASUS website or look in Chastity's sticky thread in this forum. You can also look at the Windows Event log to see if there is something indicated there regarding the errors.

jabba77
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Got the latest drivers. Didn't help. Still showing error message. Don't know how to check event log? Anyone else have this problem? Who an I call?

xeromist
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Here's the info on opening it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

If you decide that you want to talk to ASUS there is contact information in the Warranty/RMA section of the forums. Note that we have others that are very good a notebook troubleshooting but they may take a day or two to respond. One is in the middle of moving. So it's up to you if you'd like to wait for other replies but I can't guarantee it will help. :)

JRd1st
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Got the latest drivers. Didn't help. Still showing error message. Don't know how to check event log? Anyone else have this problem? Who an I call?

You could try doing a Windows System Restore to a time before the problem started.

jabba77
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
There is no system and maintenance under control panel for my windows version win7 prem 64bit. only system and security?

JRd1st
09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
There is no system and maintenance under control panel for my windows version win7 prem 64bit. only system and security?

Restore is under Control Panel > System > System Protection then press the System Restore button. You probably have a lot of restore points there. Read the Windows help for more on this. ;)

xeromist
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
The link was for Vista, oops. I've updated the one above and the correct link is also here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

jabba77
09-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately nothing worked. Called ASUS tech support and while we were setting up remote help my browser started going crazy with different colors and lines popping up with the text unreadable. Tech told me it was my video card and needs to be replaced. Told me to call customer service to set up RMA. Very frustrated. This actually the second laptop I have returned for video problems. Hope the return doesn't take long. Funny part is after all the stuff that happened with my laptop last night, it hasn't acted up at all today. Very confused! Maybe it only acts up after being on for a while. Usually acts up at night.