PDA

View Full Version : Display weirdness

elceedub
09-07-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm having an issue with my brand new G74SX (bestbuy model). Every now and then (quite often) the screen exhibits some phenomenon I'm not sure how to describe. Almost like every other pixel dropping out, except that it appears to move (the dropping pixels, not the image on the screen), then it stops and everything is solid and sharp again. It is very fine, and not obvious unless I have reading glasses on. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be normal - I've been using laptops and LCD displays for years and I've never seen this, much less know if I should be returning the laptop before the return period is up, or if it's some setting somewhere. Any thoughts?

xeromist
09-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Is there any chance this is something that could be caught on camera? I'm quite sure it isn't normal but it's nothing I've ever seen before. On the timing are we talking at regular intervals like every 30 seconds, or does it seem to be triggered by something like opening an application?

My thoughts would be to make sure that you have the latest graphics card driver and to run a stressing benchmark like Furmark to see if any more noticeable artifacts appear.

Area 66
09-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Is it only pixel size or bigger ?

elceedub
09-07-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't think I have a camera that could capture what I'm talking about. It seems more related to refresh rate or something. Here's another way to describe it: if you're old enough to have had a tube television, and have ever put your face up close to the screen and seen the spaces in between the lit bits of picture, that's what this looks like, but from normal viewing distance. I don't notice any pattern to when it happens, but it only seems to happen when I move my head, or even chew food. It sounds dumb, but I've never noticed it on any other display - I sit in front of a dual 22" monitors all day long at work and eat, move, etc., and I only notice this on this laptop display.

:confused:

elceedub
09-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Btw, I ran FurMark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_score_180.php?id=38bd85e231dd08ffec0459441 4207738

Didn't notice anything extra during the test, but I could see what I'm describing above.

xeromist
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
This sounds like some sort of hardware issue. Possibly the display cable is loose or damaged. If it happens often enough to replicate on demand I would take to to BB and show them so that you can ask for an exchange. Given the description of the problem I don't think there's much you can do yourself without voiding the warranty.

elceedub
09-08-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm thinking it may be caused by SpeedFan. I installed it just to look at the GPU/CPU temps to make sure I wasn't cooking anything with everything cranked on borderlands. Anyway, I got into the habit of leaving it running, but today I left it off and noticed the weirdness wasn't happening. So I turned it back on, and started seeing the problem again. I shut it off, and the problem continued until I rebooted. Perhaps it leaves some device in a weird state that affects some timing somewhere? Dunno, but for now it seems to be isolated to that. :confused: