PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance G55 vs G75

Mister_S
11-29-2013, 04:56 AM
I am about to buy a new notebook and I am pretty much settled on a ROG, either the G55 or the G75.

I would prefer the G55 for its smaller size and lower weight but I have read a lot about the G55 being very user-unfriendly when it comes to maintenance. From previous notebooks I know how often I have to clean out the fans and it seems like the G55 must be completely dismantled (which voids the warranty...) while the G75 has a handy maintenance hatch. What is your experience? Is that difference reason enough to go for the G75?

rewben
11-29-2013, 08:03 AM
i own a g55, and i find it more tedious to clean on the regular basis. note, it's tedious, not difficult. like you said, it's a total dis-assembly to access the fans. to clean up the vents and fans thoroughly, i guess you can only do it by voiding warranty if you're not careful with the little yellow sticker on one of the screws to secure the cpu heat sink.

if you care for the warranty, a better way to do the cleanup and maintenance is to send it to the service center and let them do it for you.

Mister_S
11-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback! That was what I was afraid to hear. I do care for the warranty but sending the laptop to the service center for a week or more every now and then is not an option because I also need it for work.

Is there anyway to keep the fans clean from the outside? E.g. blocking the fan with a wire and then using compressed air and/or a vaccum cleaner from the outside? I somehow can't picture everyone owning a G55 sending it back every couple of months. That would be such a major design flaw!

Clintlgm
11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a G75 and maintaince is simple 2 screws and a pencil to keep from over revving the fans. Note this does not apply to the G750 series.
Really if you need something really portable the G55 is it. The G75/750 are really desktop replacements. My Case is At Home, At work, on an offsite location I'm mostly always hard wired plugged in set up on a hard platform. I'm not likely to pull this big boy out on a Flight I get a large screen for Auto Cad Photoshop movies etc. And I can take it with me. I use a roller bag to transport it.

rewben
11-29-2013, 02:25 PM
yeah if there is a lot of incoming service requests, it will take longer. normally it's a 2-hour job (including replacement of thermal pastes). the design of g55 fans is all-in-one (both cpu and gpu fans in one piece). every time you do the cleanup you need to replace the thermal pastes for both cpu and gpu.

yes, many are using compressed air for cleaning purposes. i guess it works for many, too. however, i think we are blowing dusts into the laptop. it sounds a bit funny.

Mister_S
11-29-2013, 03:23 PM
I saw on a youtube video how easy it is with the G75, I can't believe they did not implement the same hatch on the G750...

I currently have a 15.6'' that weighs about 3 kg and I work a lot with a laptop cushion on my lap. I think the G55 would still be OK but the G75 might just be too heavy for that. Otherwise I would love to have a bigger screen!

TotalONE
11-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I have G75and had no issues of cleaning fans. Some people say its not portable where I think its is. I purchased backpack for it and got wireless mouse, headphones and key board. No wires no issues... SO, don't worry about portability of a laptop.

I would say G75 is easier to maintain then g55. But that's just my opinion.

Mister_S
12-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Thanks guys! All the feedback was very helpful - though not what I wanted to hear! The maintenance issue is a pretty big factor in my opinion so I just went and bought the G75. It is awfully heavy but not as bad as I thought. So far I like it a lot! Will have to figure out next how to install win 8 on the SSD... ;)

rewben
12-03-2013, 06:03 AM
sweet :)

for gaming purposes, it's better to go for larger laptops (17" or more). it has more rooms for cooling and a more powerful gpu.

Clintlgm
12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I think this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)will help you clean install win 8 or better yet 8.1 on your SSD. Also the EightForum (http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/) has lots of information on installing 8 or 8.1.
I would recommend that you first create the AI Recovery disk set, just incase you some time in the future you want put your notebook back to factory shipped state!!
I would also recommend that you download all the latest drivers from Asus Support Download (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/#support_Download) for your specific NB. Latest Chipset, IRST and IME along ATK Package WiFi LAN Bluetooth Video. Some of the drivers needed for 8.1 will be in the Win 8.1 section The other driver can come from the Win 8 page, however they should all be in the Win 8.1 section