PDA

View Full Version : ODD HD problem

dfpnw
11-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I have a g750jh and will likely never use the blu ray drive so I bought an optical drive hard disk caddy and have noticed something seriously wrong. When the odd hd caddy is plugged with or without a hard drive the main system cpu loads 1 core at 100 percent and other 3 cores are normal. Anybody know a fix for this?

dfpnw
11-29-2013, 08:25 AM
If there is a disc in the blu ray drive it also loads 1 core 100 percent even if the disc is spun down and not being accessed. The second I eject the disk cpu drops back to normal.

rewben
11-29-2013, 02:29 PM
maybe you should check that what app is running in background that causes this weird behavior. task manager might give you some hints.

dfpnw
11-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Its not an app, its system usage, its something to do with drivers or bios implementation. My desktop running same Intel storage drivers doesn't do this so I'm inclined to think its the main bios.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Its not an app, its system usage, its something to do with drivers or bios implementation. My desktop running same Intel storage drivers doesn't do this so I'm inclined to think its the main bios.

dfpnw, did you use an external USB 3.0 or 2.0 case? Is it a powered case? Plug it in to a power source and see if you have the same problem - either a 2nd USB cable to another USB port for more power or plug in an external AC power source.

If I were you, I would put the ODD back into the case. It doesn't draw power unless being used, and unless you have extreme storage requirements beyond 4TB which can fit in the other 2 bays, you aren't improving anything and are adding another external dongle to leave at home and then you find you need it where you are instead.

The ODD is very convenient where it is, and it deftly plays Blu-ray movies which look quite nice on the HD screen. Try it, you might like it :)

dfpnw
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Would rather have another hd in the odd bay. There standard sata ports so it should work and not have this problem.