PDA

View Full Version : New with W8 or Refurb with W7

Bubba
11-29-2013, 06:05 PM
I am sending in my G55vw to be replaced. It has already been replaced once but was replaced with a refurbished unit that has had multiple issues from the start.

My options are a new replacement with Windows 8 and an upgrade to the processor from a I7-3610QM 2.3GHz to a 17-3630QM 2.4 GHz. Or a refurbished unit with the 3610QM but it has Windows 7. What would you guys do? I do not really want another refurbished unit, but on the other hand I cannot stand Windows 8. I have only used W8 a few times so it may be that I have not given it a chance but I do not want to go this route and then regret it later. Do some of these programs that make Windows 8 look and act like 7 work good? How similar to 7 do they make it? Which ones work the best?

Thanks

EnthusiastBuild
11-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey Bubba

I would go with W8! And download something like Start8, StartIsBack etc. to make it look like W7!

First i was skeptic about W8, but now i really like it!

Cheers

chrsplmr
11-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Bubba, Welcome to ROG.

For my 2 cents .. I'd go with the upgraded cpu .. I wouldn't be troubled with the way the OS 'looks' ..
how does it run would be my question and from All accounts here .. it is better.
It seems to be a matter of getting use to something new .. mask it with another layer of software it you wish.

Best of Luck. Keep us 'posted' .c.

brkkab123
11-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Go wuth the faster cpu/Windows 8 one. As soon as you have it run Windows Update until none are found. Then go to the Windows Store and get the free Windows 8.1 upgrade and then let it install. Run Windows Update again until none are found. Then go to www.stardock.com and purchase Start8 for $4.99. It gives you a real start menu. Then open the Windows Store click on the top right corner of the Charms Bar and click on App Updates and then check for updates. Let it install what it finds. Now go about installing and configuring your other software. P.S. Some of the Windows Store apps from 8 won't work in 8.1.

Bubba
12-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks Guys

Went with the Windows 8 system. They have agreed to give me a "new" replacement, should get it sometime this week.

billyray520
12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Great news. Who is doing your replacement? The vendor or Asus?

Bubba
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Great news. Who is doing your replacement? The vendor or Asus?

Asus

chrsplmr
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM
awesome .. hang in there Bubba.

billyray520
12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Asus

Reps to Asus! :cool:

Zygomorphic
12-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Good to hear. I would recommend the Win 8, because it is faster, and better speced under the hood. As long as you can get that start menu back, you'll be good.

Bubba
12-10-2013, 12:54 AM
A little wrinkle in the plan. I just got an email today from Asus saying that they discontinued the G55vw in July and they have no new stock. They are offering a refurbished unit in its place. The last refurbished unit they sent me had multiple problems, hence the reason for the replacment. What would you guys do?

Antronman
12-10-2013, 01:32 AM
File a complaint and see if you can't just find somebody who would buy it.
And then I would buy a JW750.

Bubba
12-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Oh believe me, I have filled a complaint, numerous times. That is why they finally agreed to send me a "new" replacment. The refurbished unit they sent me had numerous issues. It had broken plastic pieces inside the case, it made some kind of electrical popping or snapping sound at times, random power offs, the keyboard would intermittently stop working... This is just a few of the problems. This is why I am not up to accepting another refurbished unit.

Antronman
12-10-2013, 06:27 AM
File another complaint. Ask to live chat with an employee. Demand better customer service.