PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging stuck at 87%

z0rn87
11-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi guys,

i bought a new g750jh from amazon.de and i have a little problem with my battery. Everything runs find accept of this. My battery isn't charging above 87 % . When i unplug it from power it will drain but when i plug the power in i only charges till 87% and never above. Does anybody have an idea why?

Thanks a lot for hints and solutions and excuse my English :).

hmscott
11-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,

i bought a new g750jh from amazon.de and i have a little problem with my battery. Everything runs find accept of this. My battery isn't charging above 87 % . When i unplug it from power it will drain but when i plug the power in i only charges till 87% and never above. Does anybody have an idea why?

Thanks a lot for hints and solutions and excuse my English :).

Mine sometimes hangs around 94-98%, and stops charging, but I haven't seen it maintain that low of a charge - 87%. Right now it is at 99%.

Have you tried charging with the G750 shutdown? Let it charge overnight with the laptop powered off (not sleeping) and see if it will come to a full charge.

You could also try running the laptop on battery until it warns you to plug in, and then adjust those power settings lower to let the battery discharge as low as possible before charging again while the laptop is powered off (but plugged in!).

With lithium ion you don't want to discharge completely, making the polarity reverse (this isn't Doctor Who! :) ), so be careful to watch the capacity reading and when you get down near 5-10%, plug it back in to charge.

I haven't seen this problem for a while, but I recall using a battery conditioning program from Asus way back when, but I don't see one available now. It would essentially do the same thing I said above, run down the battery as far as possible and then recharge to full - repeating 2 or 3 times - to get the capacity up on the battery life.

If you can't get the battery to charge fully, report this to Asus so they can replace the battery for you. They may ask you to send in the laptop and AC adapter, as it might be a problem with the charging hardware.

If you have a friend with a G750, or a nearby store that stocks the G750, you could ask to swap your battery / AC adapter with theirs and try to isolate the problem to the battery or laptop or ac adapter.

z0rn87
12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I tried to calibrate the battery but it didn't work. The little programm "battery care" shows a wear level of 28 % for this battery. A new one should not have more than 5 % .
I guess in this case, the battery is broken. So i contacted the asus support in germany and they will replace it.

hmscott
12-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I tried to calibrate the battery but it didn't work. The little programm "battery care" shows a wear level of 28 % for this battery. A new one should not have more than 5 % .
I guess in this case, the battery is broken. So i contacted the asus support in germany and they will replace it.

I guess that is what a bad battery does... thanks for coming back and following up z0rn87... let us know if the new battery charges ok.

z0rn87
12-15-2013, 08:43 AM
hi, i just want you let to know, that i yesterday received my battery replacement. It has a wear level of 8% but it charges to 100 % :). I guess a wear level of 8% is ok because i will never get a new produced one. Thanks for your help!

hmscott
12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
hi, i just want you let to know, that i yesterday received my battery replacement. It has a wear level of 8% but it charges to 100 % :). I guess a wear level of 8% is ok because i will never get a new produced one. Thanks for your help!

Where are you seeing the wear level displayed?

I doubt Asus would send a used battery...

At least it charges to 100%.

Let us know what the battery testing results are, like how long does the battery last on normal usage?

mrrbearxd
12-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your reply.

This is awesome, THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!
My battery is exactly stucked at 87%, and on battery care it also states 26%.
Based on your result, you called asus and they sent you a new one?
And once you received your new battery everything seem fine right?
If so you have gave me the answer ive been looking for the past 2 days.

z0rn87
12-15-2013, 11:01 AM
This is awesome, THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!
My battery is exactly stucked at 87%, and on battery care it also states 26%.
Based on your result, you called asus and they sent you a new one?
And once you received your new battery everything seem fine right?
If so you have gave me the answer ive been looking for the past 2 days.

Yes i contacted the support in germany and i send them the broken battery. After about one week i get my replacment. It sounds like that you have the same issue. The asus support will surely help. i'm glad that i could help :).

z0rn87
12-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Where are you seeing the wear level displayed?

I doubt Asus would send a used battery...

At least it charges to 100%.

Let us know what the battery testing results are, like how long does the battery last on normal usage?

It doesn't have to be a used battery maybe it stays a little long in stock. A battery also can get a higher wear level by don't using them. As i wrote above i used the little program "battery care" for reading the wear level. Here yo can get it: http://batterycare.net/en/index.html .

hmscott
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
It doesn't have to be a used battery maybe it stays a little long in stock. A battery also can get a higher wear level by don't using them.

z0rn87, nice program - just be aware the default install installs an unnessesary browser plugin - Custom install allows you to disable the install of the plugin.

I have a similar wear level, 2.17% and my laptop is only a couple of weeks old, and only run on full battery cycles 3 times. These batteries only came out with the G750 in June so shelf time wear should be minimal.

What is significant about this BatteryCare program, is that it lets you set override Power Plans on battery and AC - this might be useful to allow Asus Power4Gear to remain installed and use BatteryCare to switch to Windows Balanced when you want to - Power4Gear forces it's plans to override the Windows Power plans when Power4Gear is installed.

hmscott
12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
It doesn't have to be a used battery maybe it stays a little long in stock. A battery also can get a higher wear level by don't using them.

z0rn87, nice program - just be aware the default install installs an unnessesary browser plugin - Custom install allows you to disable the install of the plugin.

I have a similar wear level, 2.17% and my laptop is only a couple of weeks old, and only run on full battery cycles 3 times. These batteries only came out with the G750 in June so shelf time wear should be minimal.

What is significant about this BatteryCare program, is that it lets you set override Power Plans on battery and AC - this might be useful to allow Asus Power4Gear to remain installed and use BatteryCare to switch to Windows Balanced when you want to - Power4Gear forces it's plans to override the Windows Power plans when Power4Gear is installed.

Also nice are the settings to disable things while on battery like Windows background Services, Aero, Gadgets.

z0rn87
12-15-2013, 09:10 PM

I'm happy that you like that program. I used it since a couple of years and never had problems. I have it installed on all my notebooks and it runs very well and reminds me to calibrate the battery. I seems that you have get a better battery then my with 8 % wear level :).

z0rn87
12-15-2013, 09:13 PM
A nice little hint: If you run batteryCare in AdminMode it also will show you the temperature of your cpu and hdd :).

hmscott
12-15-2013, 09:25 PM
A nice little hint: If you run batteryCare in AdminMode it also will show you the temperature of your cpu and hdd :).

Thanks, found it :)