PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Look? (Vbios, Overclock) 765, 770 and 780m

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.

**Link Removed for Safety Please Request If Interested**

In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.
(link removed at abeepak1's requst)
In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.

""Hey Guys, so I like found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and I thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop..."" :)

None of those vbios listed are specific to the G750 series, likely as not flashing one will "melt down" or "brick" your GTX card.

Perhaps if someone finds a stack of spare GTX7XXm cards sitting around we can all light fuses until we find one that works?

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:12 AM
abeepak1, I found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop... just saying... :)

LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:16 AM
Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.

abeepak1, we will wait while you make 5 posts and are eligable to download them yourself, then we will wait for your report, and instructions on how to upgrade our vBios's successfully, safely too if you can arrange that :)

Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful.

Perhaps a photo of the look on your face when you realize you bricked your laptop too, and just for reference take one now with that innocent look of excitement at the potential improvement in performance promised by the effort.

You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired. :)

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:16 AM
There is actually one vBios listed for the G750JX if you look closely in the attachments scott.

"Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip (124.8 KB, 0 views) "

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:22 AM
LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.

abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop :)

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail... :)

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:23 AM
There is actually one vBios listed for the G750JX if you look closely in the attachments scott.

"Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip (124.8 KB, 0 views) "

When does "0 views" indicate a well tested vbios? :)

Where are the instructions, the recovery procedure, reports on how it helped performance... anything? There are hundreds of postings in that thread about dozens of laptops from many different brands. Which are the ones that apply to the Asus G750 series?

It is irresponsible to suggest others try something that you are unwilling to do yourself, hoping they will take the hit of failure instead of you.

At least do enough research first and find something to share that is useful, and avoid sharing something so raw and unsafe, and potentially dangerous and costly to an unsuspecting enthusiast.

I know you simply didn't think it through, and you didn't intend that anything bad would happen to someone else, but it could easily happen to anyone simply downloading the tools for flashing and then trying their luck on a couple of vbios that have the right name/numbers associated with it.

Thanks for the heads up on the link :)

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:31 AM
abeepak1, we will wait while you make 5 posts and are eligable to download them yourself, then we will wait for you report, and instructions on how to upgrade our vBios's successfully, safely too if you can arrange that :)

Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful.

Perhaps a photo of the look on your face when you realize you bricked your laptop too, and just for reference take one now with that innocent look of excitement at the potential improvement in performance promised by the effort.

You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired. :)

Not sure if it is just me, but I find your post rather rude. Earlier when I just purchased my G750JX and was overclocking, me and a few others were looking for such options of a modded vBios. Which of course wasnt available, or known by me to be available at the time. And thus, stumbling over this today, and remembering that there are a few others out there interested; I decided to bring the bone home to share with the others. Whether they feel comfortable to do it or not is completely up to them, and quite frankly put it out there that I have yet to gain full understanding of vBios flashing, and yet have gotten the five posts.

I was willing to overlook the first coarse reply, but this is pushing it. You might be having a bad day, or you may just be plain bored, but all Im doing here is sharing my findings. Overclocking is of course not covered by warranty, and any who would like to proceed know the risks full well. Many with understanding and patience are willing to go through with it, and this vBios flashing is indifferent; only requiring a greater depth in understanding of such areas. Yet, I have seen no one making replies such as "You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired. :)" or "Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful. " Since most going into it knows the risk and are willing to attempt it.

If you are unable to make a meaningful reply, other than to take a sarcastic jab at the post for your own pleasure, then please by all means have a go at 4chan. I am merely sharing my findings, take it or leave it.

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:45 AM
abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop :)

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail... :)

I may have been unclear in my choice of words for that post you quoted, thus I apologize in that regard. I was not pointing out that you "hmscott" does not know how to do it, but was pointing out to the general audience if you will, that "if you do not know how this works or have the expertise, DO NOT attempt it". So I do share your sentiments in that regard.

Though whether or not enough head room is provided or whether or not this will be remotely useful to the community is ultimately up for the user to decide.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:54 AM
abeepak1, again, please come back and share your findings when you know what you are talking about and know what you are doing.

When you have something that we can use, like G750 specific instructions on how to upgrade the vBios safely on the G750, and well tested G750 specific vBioses, and have tested those instructions and vBios yourself please do post about vBios again.

Until then please try to resist posting potentially dangerous suggestions that you haven't checked out or vetted.

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 03:55 AM
When does "0 views" indicate a well tested vbios? :)

Where are the instructions, the recovery procedure, reports on how it helped performance... anything? There are hundreds of postings in that thread about dozens of laptops from many different brands. Which are the ones that apply to the Asus G750 series?

It is irresponsible to suggest others try something that you are unwilling to do yourself, hoping they will take the hit of failure instead of you.

At least do enough research first and find something to share that is useful, and avoid sharing something so raw and unsafe, and potentially dangerous and costly to an unsuspecting enthusiast.

I know you simply didn't think it through, and you didn't intend that anything bad would happen to someone else, but it could easily happen to anyone simply downloading the tools for flashing and then trying their luck on a couple of vbios that have the right name/numbers associated with it.

Thanks for the heads up on the link :)

I did not intend to let someone else take the hit of failure instead of me, and I agree doing so is irresponsible; though I am merely providing the material to be used at the user's own discretion. I concur that I may have not stressed it enough in the first post I made, though I do believe I have put the point through in the followups that one is not to attempt doing this unless they know what they are doing. I would also expect that anyone who is interested, follow the link and actually do post in the thread with their inquiries and such, thus it is why I provided the link to the thread and not wait until I simply do the five posts and post the upload link to the raw vBios here. It is expected for them to read the material and ultimately decide if they are going to pursue it.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 03:58 AM
I may have been unclear in my choice of words for that post you quoted, thus I apologize in that regard. I was not pointing out that you "hmscott" does not know how to do it, but was pointing out to the general audience if you will, that "if you do not know how this works or have the expertise, DO NOT attempt it". So I do share your sentiments in that regard.

Though whether or not enough head room is provided or whether or not this will be remotely useful to the community is ultimately up for the user to decide.

It's a lot easier for the user to decide whether to try it or not when they get reports on how well it worked for someone else. Without instructions and the results of OC'ing using those instructions / vbioses it isn't information that is safe to share openly.

The people that know what they are doing are already aware of this, and the ones that don't know are very likely to get into trouble trying it - thinking it is "no more difficult than flashing a motherboard BIOS."

Having seen the results and sad faces on such disasters I thought it helpful to point out that now might not be the best time to experiement with vBioses for the G750's.. maybe next week, or tomorrow, but so far - not today :)

hmscott
11-30-2013, 04:04 AM
I did not intend to let someone else take the hit of failure instead of me, and I agree doing so is irresponsible; though I am merely providing the material to be used at the user's own discretion. I concur that I may have not stressed it enough in the first post I made, though I do believe I have put the point through in the followups that one is not to attempt doing this unless they know what they are doing. I would also expect that anyone who is interested, follow the link and actually do post in the thread with their inquiries and such, thus it is why I provided the link to the thread and not wait until I simply do the five posts and post the upload link to the raw vBios here. It is expected for them to read the material and ultimately decide if they are going to pursue it.

abeepak1, I know you were innocently wanting help getting this solved, as you would like a working solution, there just isn't one yet that is widely in circulation - likely because it isn't fully tested, useful, or safe yet.

And, I was having some fun, but it wasn't meant to do anything more than grab attention away from the dangerous shiny object that might brick someone's video card.

Bricking a video card sucks enough when it is a removable video card in a PC, but really is a disaster when it is a custom laptop video card that requires the entire laptop be sent back to Asus for repair.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 06:01 AM
Ask this guy if he is happy that he flashed the vBIOS in his laptop using the thread you posted:
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4996-%5Bhelp%5D-possible-brick-vbios-flash.html

At the end of that post, another victim posts, and isn't heard from again:
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4996-%5Bhelp%5D-possible-brick-vbios-flash-3.html#post72833

"I'm facing the same problem as you. But i dont have enough posts yet to download the attachments and try to recover it how can i remove the keyboard so that i can remove the cmos battery?"

My guess is for every single brick post, there are a dozen others too embarrassed to admit they messed up.

Try searching for brick, or recover, or cmos...

Yes, many people have success. But plenty are unhappy.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 06:16 AM

Lovely, a little searching, and I found that the vbios modder confirms using the posted Asus 770m vbios will likely brick a G750JX, specifically:

Contributor, cleaning out the vbioses asks the modder if the Asus 770m vbios can be used on the G750JX
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-2.html#post68684

Modder answers, "That will most likely cause a brick, Asus uses a different (to be more precise crippled) board. I'll see that I can put up the Asus stuff tomorrow."

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-3.html#post68690

That was back on 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Nvidia 770m - 80.06.51.00.0F 'OC edition' - rev02.zip (130.4 KB, 1 views)

Then I track it here:
@[r.]GimP
Here's the vbios, Bios will follow soon.
Let me know if all is fine.
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-3.html#post69047

[r.]GimP is the willing guinea pig, and ready to buy a new card should it get bricked - he disappears by the way not seen on that board since 10-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Again, @svl7, thank you for the vBIOS for my machine as well. Still looking on that mxm adapter but its bad times lately. I saw the one on ebay but it was only for type I and II, getting the 3a/b I'm coming up with nothing man =\
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-4.html#post69664

But, before that:

Quote Originally Posted by svl7 View Post
@[r.]GimP
Here's the vbios, Bios will follow soon.
Let me know if all is fine.

Flashes, boots, then fails at the driver level.

Bang in device manager permanently, occasionally says it requires a restart,

"windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems, code 43"

Tried adjusting a bit in bios, no go, clean install on drivers, different versions, nothing working.
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-3.html#post69092

Asus G770m vbios/bios (you need both) moves to another thread:

10-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Whoops, my bad, this should fix it.

EDIT: Asus 770m vbios (G750JX) moved to the Kepler mod thread.
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-3.html#post69099

After that I haven't found any update or info on anyone trying (successful or not) the Asus 770m vbios (G750JX) :
I don't know if this search for Asus 770 is shareable beyond my login, but you can do that search for yourself on the thread link:
Search
http://forum.techinferno.com/search.php?searchid=382957
Main thread of 307(!) pages to search:
http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html#post23432

The good news is I found a G750JH thread (notice how I responsibly don't post the link). Please excuse me while I go and try to melt down my new G750JH :)

hmscott
11-30-2013, 07:20 AM
The good news is I found a G750JH thread (notice how I responsibly don't post the link). Please excuse me while I go and try to melt down my new G750JH :)

No such luck, I found a thread with a G750JH 780m OC vBios/bios patched to "unlock" everything. One guy that tried it couldn't get past +135, and another guy got these results:

Firestrike "Stock" 5026: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
Firestrike +150 5515: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
Firestrike 1034mhz 2600mhz 5697: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
Firestrike 1045mhz 2700mhz 5810: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
Firestrike 1045mhz 2800mhz 5880: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
Firestrike 1045mhz 2900mhz 5943: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

The best he was able to get on Firestrike was 5943, and I already get 5872 at +135/6300 using stock BIOS/vBios:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1225472

3Dmark 11 Scores
Stock Super P8125: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA
1045mhz 2900mhz P8646: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Here he gets 8646 and at +135/6300 I already get 8593
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7577257

Not worth risking bricking my 780m, or getting stuck on an old modded system Bios to get a slightly higher score.

It looks like the results vary based on the OC potential of the 780m/card, so like that one guy I might get stuck at stock speeds anyway.

abeepak1
11-30-2013, 09:05 AM
According to your findings, it does indeed look like it isn't in a shareable state right now. Not for download atleast. I'll remove the link to the thread in my opening post for the time being, in case there are those who are reluctant on reading all the posts in here and decides they would like to go ahead and try.

Anyhow, if anyone wants the link to the thread for an educational sake, or if they would like to go ahead and contact Tech Inferno's thread OP and get your bios worked on, post a reply in this thread and I will send you the link via PM.

Thanks hmscott, for digging the thread up. Initially I had read quite a bit as well, but it was from several pre-existing threads relating to the main kepler and vbios modding, thus it seems like I missed out on the portion you investigated, though all we need is a little followup from Gimp and we might be able to pursue this further.

On a slightly related note, I have heard words going around of a Bios that would allow the 4700hq to be run at 3.8Ghz, Any idea on the applicability to the G750?

P.S. Scott, please edit your first reply to remove the link from the quote you made, thanks.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 09:24 AM
According to your findings, it does indeed look like it isn't in a shareable state right now. Not for download atleast. I'll remove the link to the thread in my opening post for the time being, in case there are those who are reluctant on reading all the posts in here and decides they would like to go ahead and try.

Anyhow, if anyone wants the link to the thread for an educational sake, or if they would like to go ahead and contact Tech Inferno's thread OP and get your bios worked on, post a reply in this thread and I will send you the link via PM.

Thanks hmscott, for digging the thread up. Initially I had read quite a bit as well, but it was from several pre-existing threads relating to the main kepler and vbios modding, thus it seems like I missed out on the portion you investigated, though all we need is a little followup from Gimp and we might be able to pursue this further.

On a slightly related note, I have heard words going around of a Bios that would allow the 4700hq to be run at 3.8Ghz, Any idea on the applicability to the G750?

P.S. Scott, please edit your first reply to remove the link from the quote you made, thanks.

Thanks for hanging in there abeepak1 :)

As requested I removed your original link.

I think the follow up links are useful to inform about what can happen if things go wrong when flashing a vbios / Bios to OC a video card beyond OEM spec. For now, unless you object , or someone else objects, I will leave those in place - they are deep enough in the thread that someone will have a good sense of what they are looking at when they follow the links.

adamsyes
11-30-2013, 09:42 AM
The unlocking process is different on the G750 series.

I've unlocked my GPU clocks as well as Vbios on 765m (g750jw) The unlocking can only effect the GPU Boost 2.0, most desktop 700 series are also having issues. although highest I got without Vbios, is 1070 core clock turbo boosted. with Voltage to 1050 instead of 1012 I can achieve 1150 core clock. both max temp 67-72.

I would go for 1300 Core clock /1.1 voltage but im good with stock atm since I am not playing demanding games.

I'll post screenshots/pics soon

PM me if you are interested.

hmscott
11-30-2013, 09:59 AM

I've unlocked my GPU clocks as well as Vbios on 765m (g750jw) The unlocking can only effect the GPU Boost 2.0, most desktop 700 series are also having issues. although highest I got without Vbios, is 1070 core clock turbo boosted. with Voltage to 1050 instead of 1012 I can achieve 1150 core clock. both max temp 67-72.

I would go for 1300 Core clock /1.1 voltage but im good with stock atm since I am not playing demanding games.

Please post your benchmarks for 3dmark series on highest OC too :)

Nice to see you around again adamseyes, I haven't been around much lately either. :)

adamsyes
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
hah needed a break from posting around here :) and will do, perhaps tomorrow if I got time.

sasuke256
11-30-2013, 11:03 PM

How ? Help us ;)

adamsyes
12-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Sorry guys, took a while. but here is a pic:

(g750jw - 765m)
I only overclocked the GPU Boost 2.0 to 1110 Core clock. and 6000 (3004) Memory clock, and voltage to 1,050 instead of 1,012 in order to reach 1k core clock. these are without the need of a Gpu software OC.
I can only increase the basic core clock of P00 States (when it hits max load minus the gpu boost) to lets say 1k instead of 997 for example. but I will still be limited with the 135+ slider.

3DMark 11 Score :5241 (I've reached 5400~ before at a higher clock, just don't remember)
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7588770

I've pretty much reached a 770M performance ladder.
Although, 1110 core clock and 1,050 voltage bump is nothing its about 10% increase compared to the max limit you can do without bios gpu tweak and is barely putting any pressure on the performance clocks of what the card can achieve. also max temp 64c for that 3dmark, the card (depending on the ASIC Quality) can perform better with less voltage increase.

I can safely say 1070 Core clock without volt bump is the reasonable increase for the 765m without breaking a sweat or risk of overheating.

1110-1150 requires voltage increase to 1.050mV (stock 1.012mV)
although those clocks are perfectly safe for the 765m. it will lead you above 5300 + in 3dmark and of about 30% performance increase to stock clocks.

if anyone wants their 765m to obtain these clocks PM me. I cannot safely say what clocks are needed for 770m or 780m since I do not have those :p unless some one is willing to test (I take no responsibilities) then pm. ill see if I can make a guide in the future. I still recommend the safest overclocking process that anyone can do is from my guide over here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Performance-for-CPU-amp-GPU.&country=&status=

anything that has to do with unlocking gpu core clocks/vbios etc leads to warranty void and risk of bricking the motherboard (but that is rare now with the 700 series

adamsyes
12-01-2013, 12:26 AM
How ? Help us ;) I can help, but I cannot post a guide here. it requires to download tools and this will lead to my account to be banned and the link will probably be removed. why do you think no one even bothers posting things here with bios guides ? :p also the only reason I take precaution on posting guides is because, I've bricked my G75VX during summer. and I do not wish anyone to go through that process of nightmare.

adamsyes
12-01-2013, 12:46 AM
the highest possible clocks the 765m can achieve is probably 1500 clocks which will make it reach 7k. But this will lead to at least 75c and who knows how much voltage increase is needed to reach that.

hmscott
12-01-2013, 02:32 AM
the highest possible clocks the 765m can achieve is probably 1500 clocks which will make it reach 7k. But this will lead to at least 75c and who knows how much voltage increase is needed to reach that.

Thanks for the detailed info adamseyes, what settings do you run with every day? Do you bump up for certain games, or run at OC all the time.

I run at +135 and 6200 most of the time, and only bump up to 6300-6400 for certain benchmarks. Interestingluy, those are about the same values for the JW and JH... the JX would only do about 5250 mem +135

adamsyes
12-01-2013, 02:57 AM
1050 core clock 6000 mem clock. I can go 6400 but I get artifacts after 3+ hours of play. and this for any game I play (bf4, total war rome2 etc)

abeepak1
12-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Currently I have the core clock at 900 Mhz memory at 5500 Mhz completely stable with no voltage bumps, I can however seem to extend the core clock to 932, which in turn would give about 997 Boost clock on 1025~ mV stable, though I seem to get some stuttering and FPS drops while in BF4 in heavily congested situations. Initially, I understood that this is a symptom of an unstable overclock and the card is stumbling, however as I upped the voltage to stabilize the clock as I would usually do in a normal situation, the stutter becomes more apparent. I concluded that the stutter duration and number will increase along with each voltage bump; more voltage, more stuttering. This seems very counter intuitive, especially when the temps check out and never exceed 72 degrees.

These symptoms dont show up in 3DMark either, it runs fine with no stuttering, crash nor errors whatsoever. Thus it seems to be that it is stable.

Any ideas?

adamsyes
12-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Currently I have the core clock at 900 Mhz memory at 5500 Mhz completely stable with no voltage bumps, I can however seem to extend the core clock to 932, which in turn would give about 997 Boost clock on 1025~ mV stable, though I seem to get some stuttering and FPS drops while in BF4 in heavily congested situations. Initially, I understood that this is a symptom of an unstable overclock and the card is stumbling, however as I upped the voltage to stabilize the clock as I would usually do in a normal situation, the stutter becomes more apparent. I concluded that the stutter duration and number will increase along with each voltage bump; more voltage, more stuttering. This seems very counter intuitive, especially when the temps check out and never exceed 72 degrees.

These symptoms dont show up in 3DMark either, it runs fine with no stuttering, crash nor errors whatsoever. Thus it seems to be that it is stable.

Any ideas?

Do not even touch the voltage, it will take no effect with a locked vbios, in fact it will give you worse FPS.

you can safely go full slider bar on core clock (997) this will give you 1032.5 core clock when gaming.
reason you are having fps drops is mainly from windows or NVidia drivers. you shouldn't get fps drop by overclocking. all cards should be stable at 997 core clock overclking.

abeepak1
12-03-2013, 05:08 AM
That is exactly what went through my mind, though it isnt a fps drop per se, but more of a periodic stutter, where the fps drops by a large margin for a second or more, then recovers to its appropriate overclocked performance. My card doesn't seem to be stable beyond 910Mhz baseclock in any real given situations. Going towards 920 and beyond will yield me an error or crash whilst doing 3Dmark. Upping the voltage a little beyond the current max turbo boost range will grant that stability. It does also seem like the voltage is taking effect, according to the reported voltage value against many monitors, including the rise of temperature with the voltage applied. Though it seems to be having trouble with bf4 as previously stated.

Which route did you go to unlock your vbios? Dump via gpu-z, edit and reflash?

P.S. forgot to add I'm on a 770M

abeepak1
12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Tried using a known definite stable overclock but upped the voltage to test it's effect on the fps. running at 900 Mhz, upping the voltage to 1050 mV and up to 1100mV, simulating situations with a higher OC results in the FPS still drops and has stutters periodically; the higher the voltage, the more frequently it occurs. Confused :confused:

The only thing that comes up in my mind that could be doing this is the temperature, though it is only going up to 72~75 degrees and should be far from throttling and/or overheating point.

nVidia Power management mode is set to prefer maximum performance so voltage swinging and starvation shouldn't be the issue, especially with an increased margin going beyond what is necessary for the known stable clock.

Could the mainboard Bios version also be the culprit? I'm running the older factory version, and I know Im taking shots in the dark here, but I really have no idea where I derailed.

SoulSlayerPT
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Hello all,

I have a 780m in my asus g750. Is the modded vbios worth it? How much clock increase and with what voltage increase? Temperatures? Please post your results. Thank you.