PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Backtracker? [solved]

wrangler
12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I just picked up a G750JX-TB71. I gather that using Backtracker would be a good idea before I start messing around with changes in Windows, drives, and partitions. I'd like to know how to use it for backup, but don't see any instructions anywhere, just download links, and advice to get it.

Do I install it on a flash drive, and boot the notebook from it, to make the backup?

Do I boot the notebook normally, and simply run the program on it?

cosmicmango
12-01-2013, 01:01 PM
I just picked up a G750JX-TB71. I gather that using Backtracker would be a good idea before I start messing around with changes in Windows, drives, and partitions. I'd like to know how to use it for backup, but don't see any instructions anywhere, just download links, and advice to get it.

Do I install it on a flash drive, and boot the notebook from it, to make the backup?

Do I boot the notebook normally, and simply run the program on it?

Download and install the program, once installed double click the program and follow the instructions.

Also, you will need a 16GB flash drive, if there’s data on the drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process. You can get ASUS Backtracker from the link below.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

wrangler
12-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I already downloaded Backtracker, and have an unused 32GB flash drive. I haven't unboxed the JX yet.

So I just boot up the JX, and run Backtracker on it?

PentiumCore
12-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Sorry for the slight hijack...

Do you have to "restore" windows 8 before you use backtracker? I have an SSD in my gaming rig that I no longer use for so I wanted to swap that into my laptop (and keep the 750GB as the new 'DATA' drive)

Thanks!

Pitcher@asus
12-02-2013, 06:21 AM
i think when you star it, just setup by setup, you can finsih backup it.

DeltaActual
12-02-2013, 09:20 AM
^^ Do. Or do not. There is no try.

PentiumCore
12-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Guys, no offense, but I understood ZERO of what was just said, haha!

wrangler
12-05-2013, 11:45 PM
I didn't understand it either.

cl-Albert
12-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Sorry for the slight hijack...

Do you have to "restore" windows 8 before you use backtracker? I have an SSD in my gaming rig that I no longer use for so I wanted to swap that into my laptop (and keep the 750GB as the new 'DATA' drive)

Thanks!

ASUS Backtracker only saves your original ASUS recovery partition (and restores Win8 for you back to the factory new state with the Windows Welcome, etc.), so you don't need to worry about the state of Windows 8/8.1 that you are currently running.
You might think of it as creating recovery disks for you, but to a USB drive instead of DVDs.

Because of this, you want to back up anything else separately since they will not be saved by ASUS Backtracker, or you might also look into a third party utility to back up your entire hard drive image if you prefer, so you don't need to reinstall everything else/restoring data after using backtracker etc.

wrangler
12-06-2013, 02:37 AM
I figured out the answer to my own question. Here it is for anyone else who wants to know.

Boot up the computer that you want to run Backtracker on. Download the Backtracker zip file to that computer, or copy it from another computer using a network, flash drive, or whatever you've got. Unzip it, run the setup, and it installs. It puts an icon on the desktop -- just run it.

cl-Albert
12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I figured out the answer to my own question. Here it is for anyone else who wants to know.

Boot up the computer that you want to run Backtracker on. Download the Backtracker zip file to that computer, or copy it from another computer using a network, flash drive, or whatever you've got. Unzip it, run the setup, and it installs. It puts an icon on the desktop -- just run it.

Thanks for the update wrangler and hope you don't mind that your information has been provided at this sticky thread Backing up your ASUS factory Win8 Recovery Partition (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&p=342084#post342084) , but yes, ASUS Backtracker is just a program you run and install to save your ASUS factory Win8 recovery partition to a USB drive.

wrangler
12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Always glad to help. People online have helped me a lot over the years. I was able to understand what the program did, but as you can see from my original post, not exactly which method to use to start it.

Skedar
01-27-2014, 07:03 AM
I have all partitions in the original HD of my notebook.

but i install a new and clean Windows 8 on a new HD and keep the partitions of the original HD but i delete the Windows Partition to make this a DATA disk.

After that, i dont know how i restore to factory image...if i try it using the W8 Restore, its dont work. its says invalid partitions and blablabla...

HOW i restore that ? i alread try "restore deleted partitions" programs but i really dont delete ANYTHING only the visible Windows partition.

im very sorry AGAIN for my english but you guys will understand ! lol

someone can help me ?

DeltaActual
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
^Did you create USB backup with Backtracker, while on your old HD?

wrangler
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
I have all partitions in the original HD of my notebook.

but i install a new and clean Windows 8 on a new HD and keep the partitions of the original HD but i delete the Windows Partition to make this a DATA disk.

After that, i dont know how i restore to factory image...if i try it using the W8 Restore, its dont work. its says invalid partitions and blablabla...

HOW i restore that ? i alread try "restore deleted partitions" programs but i really dont delete ANYTHING only the visible Windows partition.

im very sorry AGAIN for my english but you guys will understand ! lol

someone can help me ?
If you used Bactracker to back up, then run it to restore.

If you didn't use Backtracker, you should start a thread with a title describing your problem. You will get a lot more people looking there for that problem, and have a better chance to get help. I wouldn't expect nearly as many people looking at a [solved] thread. And the ones that do look here will be looking for a Bactracker discussion.

Robdsgb
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I have backed up my g750 using backtracker, So can i delete the the recovery partition to make room?

cl-Albert
03-18-2014, 06:55 PM
I have backed up my g750 using backtracker, So can i delete the the recovery partition to make room?

Sorry, not 100% sure about everythng else that follows, but the ASUS backtracker image would be used to reinstall your factory image to your hard drive if everybody didn't already know.

If it matters, don't think you could 'refresh' (or reset/recover of course) Win8/8.1 without the recovery partition, but haven't confirmed this myself.

If you didn't know though, Microsoft lets you create a 'recovery drive' (search in Win8 to find the program) which appears to move your recovery partition to external removable media, and expect you can 'refresh' or 'reset'/recover if you 'insert the disk', etc. (again, haven't confirmed this myself).
If you plan to delete the recovery partition, it's probably a good idea to create a recovery drive too (and bootable repair disk?).

The difference between ASUS Backtracker and the Windows recovery drive is that ASUS Backtracker lets you reinstall the Windows image to a blank hard drive and the Windows recovery drive does not.
I remember Windows may also ask you if you want to delete your recovery partition after you create the recovery drive.

Anyway, hopefully someone can confirm if this information is correct, but that's my thoughts about it and hope it helps!

Emilio Martin
05-14-2014, 01:02 AM
En PC Todo en uno no me lo permite. Solo en portatiles

Sean72
06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Can I use a 16GB SDHC card successfully?

hmscott
06-17-2014, 05:35 AM
Can I use a 16GB SDHC card successfully?

Sean72, IDK, give it a try and let us know how it works :)

I would imagine it will be too slow to be workable, but other than that, I don't know if it can be accessed by the BIOS at boot time. I think I have used one for BIOS update...

Sean72
06-17-2014, 05:50 AM
It backed up to the 16GB SD card very quickly, but I'm not sure if I can get it to show up in the BIOS as a boot option. I think there may be some setting or other I'm missing, the Bios doesn't seem to want to allow me to boot from anything but one service, not even other drives are listed...

hmscott
06-17-2014, 06:39 AM
It backed up to the 16GB SD card very quickly, but I'm not sure if I can get it to show up in the BIOS as a boot option. I think there may be some setting or other I'm missing, the Bios doesn't seem to want to allow me to boot from anything but one service, not even other drives are listed...

Sean72, try powering off, then right after pressing the power button to power up, tap the ESC key, and keep tapping it till you get a boot menu.

LeonardoTan
07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
So, I am adding a Samsung 840 EVO SSD to my G750, do I need to convert this SSD first into GPT mode?

Sean72
07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Sean72, try powering off, then right after pressing the power button to power up, tap the ESC key, and keep tapping it till you get a boot menu.

By the way, it backed up, but didn't want to restore - though I think it was because I had messed with the partitions before I ran Backtracker. I had to put it in a USB reader too, it doesn't recognize the SD card as a USB boot device in my experience. However, I had access to another system and ran backtracker on that one and used it successfully for the restore.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 10:05 PM
By the way, it backed up, but didn't want to restore - though I think it was because I had messed with the partitions before I ran Backtracker. I had to put it in a USB reader too, it doesn't recognize the SD card as a USB boot device in my experience. However, I had access to another system and ran backtracker on that one and used it successfully for the restore.

Sean72, thanks for following up, but I didn't quite follow. Did you create an SD card Backtracker Restore on another system, and successfully restore on your laptop using the built'in SD card slot, or a USB reader plugged in to the G750?