PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows why G750 series only provides the i7-4700HQ processor?

zijian
12-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Hi,
I am looking to buy a gaming laptop lately, I like the G750 series more than any other gaming laptops in most aspects, but does anyone know why the G750 only provides one option for the CPU while others like Alienwares or Sagers or even the older G75 series have more CPU options?

PentiumCore
12-02-2013, 07:30 AM
The way I see it, especially with the new Windows power options that allows the CPU to underclock itself all the way from 3.4Ghz down to 0.77Ghz when doing simple things like FireFox, Skype etc, is the reason Asus simply went with the best CPU out there which technically works in all environments. Even people who don't need the full 3.4Ghz the CPU is capable off, it will clock itself to the performance you require at that specific second.

So instead of having to offer a bunch of different CPU's, simply choosing the best CPU and going with the "one shoe fits all" approach, they cut down the cost of hassle for constant driver/bios updates for multiple configurations and most probably saved on the production line too.

Just my opinion. :P

villiansv
12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Reasons could be many, here are my thoughts:
Alienware and Sager use the 4700MQ CPU (and other slightly more powerful options), which I believe is replaceable, while Asus's 4700HQ is soldered on the motherboard. However I'm not sure if the MQ/HQ difference is fundamentally in the ability to be put in a slot (i.e. replaceable). It could be cheaper to buy the 4700HQ in bulk, as a part that only has the ability to be soldered on the motherboard.
4700HQ (Asus) has VT-d, whereas 4700MQ doesn't. Whether you need it or not, depends on what virtualization, if any, you use.
Finally, and probably most importantly, games nowadays are far more GPU-dependent than CPU-dependent. What this means is that even in the JH model, with GTX 780M, it's the nvidia card that will likely be holding back performance, not the CPU. A faster one is simply not needed. Alienware and Sager have models that support dual-gpu SLI configs, which are of course more powerful in the GPU department and may need a faster CPU.