PDA

View Full Version : Boot section failure after downloading and installing latest BIOS from ASUS

spanishflyer
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Dear friends,
I've been having problems updating several of my most used programs and was suggested by NVIDIA tech. Dept. to check my BIOS and update if needed. (I was having problems updating the latest GeForce GTX drivers), but my main problem was with my main work tool Adobe Photoshop CS6.
Anyway the fact is that I saw ASUS had a new BIOS for my G75VW so I went for it; using a USB stick with the new driver and the flash tool, I upgraded my BIOS successfully without any hassle; checked on my "regedit" window and sure enough I now had the latest 223 Bios...;)

Well all fine and perfect till I shut my computer down and restarted it.... a black screen with a little white dash flicking constantly at me.

I have tried everything I can handle; thank god I have a backup of my drives, an Acronis True Image of my computer on an external USB drive, so I wasn't worried about losing the contents of my computer, just as long as I could get it back and running ASAP.
I left it restoring all night and this morning I had a message on my screen "Successful Restore"....

So I restarted the computer and this time I got the screen I include in this message; SInce I received 3 Recovery CD's from the supplier, I inserted #1 and pressed CONTINUE and Windows loaded exactly as I had left it a month ago when I did the Acronis Backup.

Now, as long as I have the mentioned CD in place it will restart but if not I get the mentioned screen every single time.

I used to have a RAID 0 configuration with my two 750 GB HDD's but now I have a C:\ and an E:\; C: has everything in it and E: is totally empty....:(

So I hope someone can help me out on this one because I'm not that good in computers.

I guess I need to restore the Bios to a Raid 0 and once done run the backup image once more, but have no idea if that is correct or if I should do something else.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

brkkab123
12-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Try this. Download the current non-beta Nvidia Driver's. Choose custom install and check the box that say's something like remove old driver's. Some of the PhysX/hd audio crap won't work without doing that, as the old driver's for those won't be updated. They're all part of the video card's. Not onboard or aftermarket sound card's.

Clintlgm
12-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Check your setting in the BIOS UEIF or Legacy need to match your hard drive type MBR or GPT, installing the BIOS might have change your settings?? Acronis might have restored your hard drive to MBR try changing the settings and see if it boots. If you boot, you'll probably have to clean install to get every thing back to UEIF GPT

Have you tried the Repair Install selection? I would take out the 2nd hard drive so that only your OS Drive is installed, then run the repair install that should repair the boot file? Also as to Acronis if your disk are UEIF GPT then your Acronis image can not set up the boot manager, there is a procedure posted on their support Forum to restore partition by partition. It s a big snfu with Acronis still not fixed in 2014 version.

Since you have your data backed up, you might consider a clean install if the repair install fails. If your dealing with Win 8 or 8.1 I'm not sure how to repair the boot manger.

That's all my thoughts right now.

spanishflyer
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the input,

With regards to what Brkkab123 is mentioning, I actually went through all the imaginable options when trying to install the NVIDIA drivers and all by the hand of NVIDIA's experts; automatic or manual, checking the clean install that removes all the previous version, theyeven asked me to try some Beta versions and many others I now cannot remember, but the result every single time was FAIL!!

But to tell you the truth, that now is the least of my problems; now I'm much more concerned about getting the computer to run once more after installing the new .223.

As I said previously, I have the Factory Recovery disks (three in total), that in theory shold restaure the computer to the original condition and settings, but the first thing I get is a message telling me that in order to allow the recovery to work, I must remove one of the HDD.

That I did thid morning and left the center one in place. The recovery went without fuss and was wondering what the factory recovery discs would leave after reinstalling.... I was hoping for a black screen with a C:- blinking at me, just waiting for me to introduce the Windows 7 Professional 64bit CD so I could reinstall a clean windows again, but no, I got the same warning window I included in my previous message; sure enough, this time I had no OS installed, so I am at this moment trying to reinstall the Acronis backup I have, and I'm using my wife's laptop to write this message. As the backup started it said it would be a Three day process!!! I bet after all that I will be exactly in the same situation as yesterday, if not worse....

Wjat I really need is clear instructions on how to proceed, but starting from scratch; basically have a way to restaure the RAID 0 with the two drives I have and what's even more, I'm prepared to purchase a Samsung SSD 840 Pro with 512GB, but only if I have it very clear on how to proceed; not only install that new drive, but have one of the others to either act as a separate drive or even create a new RAID 0 with the SSD and the HDD. I don't know if someone has done this before or if we have videos in YouTube I can follow, but right now I think the worst problem for me is the BIOS update to 223, that I'm sure is causing all my problems... If only I had not listened to the guy in the NVIDIA tech Dept...

Of course, if you add to the technical problem, my total lack of experience in these chores, the way I see itis that I'm doomed...

A step y step procedure to either restaure my bios to the one I had previously and at the same time have it configured to the RAID 0 and even if
both drives are empty, I think I can then restore my system with the Acronis True Image.

Clintlgm I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Have you tried the Repair Install selection?" and as you can see, I've tried removing one of

the drives. The other thing about what type of drives I have and what I should set it to, I'm totally lost there; you say "Check your setting in the BIOS UEIF or Legacy need to match your hard drive type MBR or GPT" but, how do I check that and how should they be? I have come across the MBR and GPT, but don't know what should set it up to be; one thing I tried and I guess it was wrong was to make both drives "Dinamic" instead of standard, that option is included in the options Acronis asks you... funny thing was that after I made them dinamic, Acronis told me that in order to install my backup to the "new" dinamic drives, I had to purchase from them extra software.... And it gets funnier, because I resolved that if dinamic meant extra or additional Acronis program options I must have had just standard drives from the start.... SO fair enough, I reastarted Acronis and went to "undo" the dinamic type HDD's I justcreated, but Acronis does not let me... those options are greyed out...

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks again and best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Clintlgm
12-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Spanish Flyer, if you broke a raid installation. I don't know that you can recover it? Raid is beyond my expertise. I do know that you would not set up a raid between a SSD and a Hard Drive.
Acronis is a different animal. We have had found that it can not restore a UEIF GPT disk Image, as to whether it is capable of restoring a Raid Array or dynamitic disk I have no Idea. You would have to work with Acronis Tech support (HeHe good luck with that) to resolve that restore. Seems the advertise they can do more that what is reality?

If you get the SSD I would Clean install your OS and use your two hard drives to store data, One internal and one external
You most likely were having OS issues previously causing NVidia not to install correctly.
I'm thinking that spamming the F2 key on a boot will get you into your BIOS. Setting should be the same as you had them when you created the RAID Array. I'm only guessing but I think your hard drives should be set to raid rather than legacy or UEIF
If you can get into your BIOS then the BIOS upgrade is not the problem but setting in the BIOS could be
Hopefully someone with experience will jump in with some educated insight
If you didn't set up the RAID Array perhaps you should take it back to the Tech that did set up the RAID Array? I don't think ASUS shipped any with Raid Arrays

spanishflyer
12-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks a lot Clintlgm,

If I press F2 when starting I CAN access the BIOS, but basically I don't know where to go from there... And it is the 223 version showing in the info.

But once I go to manage the drives, I had Raid 0, arranged and installed by HIDevolution a year ago (have contacted them and waiting for a reply).
I would love to be able to create a new RAID 0 once more and reinstall my both drives once more, but don't really know how to proceed. I can select RAID in the drive management of the bios, but have been there, done that and after using the Acronis Image Backup I'm back to "almost" square 1 since the backup recgnizes one HDD and sets it to be the OS drive, does nothing with the other drive and what is worse, I still need the recovery first disc in place so it boots from it....

I don't know if ASUS delivers Raid 0 as an option from factory, but HIDevolution has all sorts of arrangements at your disposal.

Thanks again and keep in touch.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Clintlgm
12-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Well if it were me in your situation If my data is back up so I won't lose it. I would just drop in a 256 GB SSD this will be very much faster than any 2 drive raid set up. and more that sufficient to hold your OS and Program Files. The you put one of the 500GB HD in for data storages and less used program installs. If you were in RAID they you only had 500 GB with both drives?. So with this configuration you'll have 750 GB and a very fast system that will be easy to Image and Back up. You could use the 2nd 500 gb drive put it in a external case and use it for your Images and Back ups!!
I believe Acronis misled a lot of us as to being UEIF GPT complaint and Dynamic Drive Compliant. Even the 2014 upgrade still does not work for us. I seen a press release that they are now saying they are windows 8.1 certified with the latest update. I don't know if that update would solve your problem I doubt it however.
I have moved my back up scheme to Macrium Reflect They have been flawless in restoring UEIF GPT images and Cloning from a Hard drive to a new SSD for many people. There tech support is quick to respond and very helpful. No stone walls with them.
So if your able to get into your BIOS then that is not the problem it appears that your Raid has been broken and you'll need someone that knows about these things to rebuild it, if that is even possible? or desirable?
If your data is back up I would just clean install and be done with it. If you want fast get the SSD and clean install to it.

spanishflyer
12-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Clintlgm, I can't thank you enough for your help and opinions; you have basically guided me into taking the most drastic decision and that is, to start from the beginning and work my way through with a clean installation because the more I think about it, the more I realize that even if I managed to restore my system with the two HHD's in a RAID 0 configuration and have as well all my precious programs and personal files, I would also have all the corrupt files that surely drove my computer to committing suicide a few days ago and of course it would just be a question of time till I ended once more where I am now. Haven't answered earlier because I'm fully devoted into installing all my main programs and configuration.
I fully agree with you about the SSD being much faster than any RAID configuration, and I should get a Samsung 840 EVO 750 GB on Monday; The idea then is to make an image of the drive I'm updating right now and transfer it as an image to the SSD drive. I will then install the mentioned Solid State Drive in the G75VW and make it work on it's own; once that is achieved, I plan on installing one of the two HDD's to increase the total capacity of my computer to 750 +750GB configuration in different drives (C:\ & E:\). The SSD with he OS and the most important programs and the other for extra storage. But to achieve all that I bet I will once more need the help of you guys, so keep an eye for my new to come issues, because I bet I will get stuck at some stage.

Best regards and thanks again,

Spanish Flyer