PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replace their AUO matte screen ?

chokko
12-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Hello,
I have the AUO matte screen, and it looks awful . The biggest problem is the obvious vertical lines at normal sitting distance.

The replacement screens on screencountry.com are LG apparently, though googling the compatibility part number, the LG seems to not be particularly popular either.

So my question is: Has anyone upgraded their AUO to something they are happy with ?

Loved my g73 screen (yes that was glossy), and i am not under any illusion that i can find something as gorgeous as the ux31a IPS screen (glossy but low reflection?). But the AUO matte looks like it belongs on a $200 netbook you'd buy your grandmother to check email once a month.

Nehmia
12-03-2013, 05:05 AM
be very careful, when I took my G75VW to the ASUS Service center to replace that crappy matte screen which looked so pale and dull in colors, they replaced it, then they ended up burning the motherboard when they tried to turn it on. so they gave me this G750JX for free

chokko
12-03-2013, 05:49 AM
why were Asus going to replace the matte screen on the G75 in the first place?
was it broken ?
because you didn't like the pale/dull screen (and you were paying them to do it) ?

villiansv
12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Unless you have a 3D model, which uses different connectors, a standard LCD panel (e.g. one from a Clevo laptop) would fit the Asus with no issues. It's no different than changing the LCD on any other laptop. It probably voids the warranty though, so keep that in mind.

Nehmia
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
why were Asus going to replace the matte screen on the G75 in the first place?
was it broken ?
because you didn't like the pale/dull screen (and you were paying them to do it) ?

I called them and I said I wasn't pleased with the screen if they can do me a favor and swap it with the 3D one because it is very hard to read and when viewing a white background it appears like there are small specs of rainbow dots everywhere. So they asked me if my laptop was under warranty, I said yes I am still in the 1 year warranty period, then they said ok they will replace it for free with the 3D one :) since they fried my motherboard and had no more replacement motherboards, they gave me a brand new G750JX because the G75VW was out of stock already

Prostar Computer
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Hello,
I have the AUO matte screen, and it looks awful . The biggest problem is the obvious vertical lines at normal sitting distance.

The replacement screens on screencountry.com are LG apparently, though googling the compatibility part number, the LG seems to not be particularly popular either.

So my question is: Has anyone upgraded their AUO to something they are happy with ?

Loved my g73 screen (yes that was glossy), and i am not under any illusion that i can find something as gorgeous as the ux31a IPS screen (glossy but low reflection?). But the AUO matte looks like it belongs on a $200 netbook you'd buy your grandmother to check email once a month.

Vertical lines? That sounds like a defective display or display adapter, not poor image quality. We've replaced the stock screen with AUO glossy finish, 90% NTSC and they look fantastic. :)

SHADO
12-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Hello,

I replaced the Chi Mei matte screen on my G75VW with a glossy screen from screen country. It is a big improvement, but not quite as much as I was hoping for. You mentioned LG screens at screen country, but my replacement was an AUO. Not sure if they actually sell LG screens specifically, or just "LG compatible" ones. Do you have any definitive information on that?

chokko
12-05-2013, 03:15 AM
well I told them the exact model AUO I have, told them I don't want an AUO replacement (in case I ordered another matte) and they said the glossy and matte with compatibility code LP173WF1(TL)(A2), are LG brand screens.

sounds like I should just order glossy to be safe...if your AUO glossy is ok

SHADO
12-05-2013, 03:36 AM
well I told them the exact model AUO I have, told them I don't want an AUO replacement (in case I ordered another matte) and they said the glossy and matte with compatibility code LP173WF1(TL)(A2), are LG brand screens.

sounds like I should just order glossy to be safe...if your AUO glossy is ok

Ah, okay. I didn't actually speak to them (probably should have), just ordered online. Yeah, my glossy AUO is pretty good. I'd definitely go with the glossy LG, unless reflections will be a major issue. The colors just seem to "pop" much more than on the matte screens. They look dull/washed out on the matte screens.

Pierre990429
12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Hello, I too have a G750JH with matte AUO screen, and the vertical lines issue is well known.

Does someone here know how to change the screen (I've already bought a LG LP173WF1) : how can I open the bezel safely, after having removed the 4 screws at the corners ? It looks a bit difficult without scratching or breaking the plastic !!!

Anyone ? Any help or experience would be much appreciated.

SHADO
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello, I too have a G750JH with matte AUO screen, and the vertical lines issue is well known.

Does someone here know how to change the screen (I've already bought a LG LP173WF1) : how can I open the bezel safely, after having removed the 4 screws at the corners ? It looks a bit difficult without scratching or breaking the plastic !!!

Anyone ? Any help or experience would be much appreciated.

Assuming that pulling off the bezel is probably the same as on the G75, check out this video. If memory serves, it tells you to pull off the bezel by prying on the middle of the long sides of the bezel where it actually contacts the screen (the inside edges) using your fingers, then working your way to the corners. It worked for me when replacing my screen on my G75. If you try prying on the outside edges instead, you might break the bezel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDBUnTg4rw

villiansv
12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Assuming that pulling off the bezel is probably the same as on the G75, check out this video. If memory serves, it tells you to pull off the bezel by prying on the middle of the long sides of the bezel where it actually contacts the screen (the inside edges) using your fingers, then working your way to the corners. It worked for me when replacing my screen on my G75. If you try prying on the outside edges instead, you might break the bezel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDBUnTg4rw

Spot on. This is the way to do it.

Pierre990429
12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'm not totally sure that the bezel is 100% the same. I already knew this video; I tried to pry the bezel the way you say it, but it seems really tricky. Won't I damage the screen if I press the finger against it ? (only way if you want to pry from the inside of the bezel - with the other screens I replaced (Dell), I started from the outside)
I think I need photos (for example describing the exact locations of the "clips" on the bezel) or better, a vid.

villiansv
12-06-2013, 03:33 PM
I remember it was quite hard to take it out. Once you pop one or two clips, it comes off real easy - it's the 1st one that's hard. IIRC I started at the top middle or near it, and definitely from the inner edge of the bezel.

SHADO
12-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Won't I damage the screen if I press the finger against it ?

No, unless you are using your finger to pry against the screen. You are just supposed to pull the inside bezel edge outward (towards you), not pry on it by using the screen as a fulcrum.

chokko
12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
well I got my glossy replacement screen on Tuesday, only 5 days from screencounty(Canada)->doorstep in Canberra.

According to hwinfo, it is LG-Philips LP173WF1-TLA2

I just followed the asus g75 vid on youtube to remove bezel/screen. The g750 had a few extra screws.
New screen went in ok, but there is a very slight bow to it (i.e. slightly curved), so not sure how that happens...i.e. it wasn't crammed back into the laptop lid. As a result the bezel doesn't sit quite perfectly in a couple of spots..but I had the same thing occur years ago when replacing my dell mini9 bezel, so won't be losing sleep over it.

The verdict:
No more vertical lines (that alone is worth price of admission).
Horizontal viewing angle is very impressive (i.e....looks perfect at maximum left or right angle)
Vertical viewing angle isn't anything to get excited over.
Color range isn't noticeably better than the matte screen.
Lots of reflections, but hey - it's glossy :)

Pierre990429
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info !
Did you have trouble opening the bezel ? Did you find a "secure" method ?

chokko
12-12-2013, 12:52 PM
no. I just got a small flathead screwdriver and opened from the inside of the bezel like others said. its easy to insert it between bezel and the metal frame surrounding the lcd. I jammed it in deep, then gently pulled back towards me until it pops out. there are many clips that need to be un-clipped, along the entire width of the bezel (i.e. its not just 2 or 3).

per the youtube, I started on bottom of panel, then the sides, ending with the top.

I doubt there's any risk of scratching the lcd with the way I did it [I wasn't worried if I did anyway, the AUO matte screen is so rubbish].
Will be hard not to get fingerprints all over it when pulling the bezel all off finally.

Pierre990429
12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Thank you !
Well, I think I will try it too !

Paul75
12-12-2013, 08:31 PM

Hey there - I previously posted about this and no one seemed to know what I was on about. It's not that I don't believe you I just couldn't find anything to support my argument of what I could see. Any chance you could link me in? I have a 750JW and it has a matte screen and the vertical lines are awful at what I would say is a normal distance from the screen for a laptop - your arms can only be so long, right?

So are we saying here that these lines are "normal" and the only way to resolve this is by replacing the screen at cost? If I knew the screen was like this I wouldn't have bought it. The rest of the laptop is great, the screen lets it down severely though...

All I was trying to find out was if mine was faulty but it would appear to be what Asus decided was acceptable unfortunately.

Pierre990429
12-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Asus won't acknowledge the problem, since many people don't seem to be bothered by these lines or don't see them.
The fact is that the AUO screen (can't speak for the Chi-Mei) is very bad. It's "normal" for this screen to be "bad", so technically it's not "faulty".
Only solution : change the screen yourself. I'm about to do it.

it would appear to be what Asus decided was acceptable unfortunately.
As you said.

hmscott
12-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Asus won't acknowledge the problem, since many people don't seem to be bothered by these lines or don't see them.
The fact is that the AUO screen (can't speak for the Chi-Mei) is very bad. It's "normal" for this screen to be "bad", so technically it's not "faulty".
Only solution : change the screen yourself. I'm about to do it.
As you said.

Pierre990429, I am now the proud owner of a G750JH with an AUO screen :)

The 3 things I did to tune it:

1) Uninstall Asus Splendid

2) Changed the refresh rate to 70hz, the screen specification calls out 70hz @ 1920x1080

3) Turned down the brightness to 70-75% - the screen is way too bright at 100%

I already have the Windows desktop at 100% with Windows 8.1 installed.

To me it is nicer than the Chi Mei, although I miss being able to run at 100hz - first time I have seen that in a laptop - but at 70hz on the AUO I am not seeing any flickering on test sites, which I would on the Chi Mei under 85hz.

The graininess of the Chi Mei is missing on the AUO. It didn't bother me, as I am used to Matte screens, but the AUO looks smoother.

I actually think Asus thought this screen was a cut above the Chi Mei and put it in the G750JH because they thought it was a better screen.

Maybe not all production runs of the AUO have the lines problem? Maybe you could call Asus and ask them to replace the screen, instead of spending more $ of your own money on a replacement.

Here is the screen info on this G750JH:

Pierre990429
12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Well, I FINALLY changed the screen. I've got now a nice LP173WF1-TL-C1.

Thanks a lot, CHOKKO !!!!

I indeed used this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDBUnTg4rw

I didn't even have to use a screwdiver : I started to open the bezel at the bottom, where there already was a little "gap" between the plastic bezel and the screen.

One tricky part : the connector is taped to the screen. Had to be careful here.
And I didn't put the lower metallic bar back : I was so happy had it worked (I had made a try after I just placed the new connected screen on the back of the cover, without any screws - only the lateral bars attached), and I didn't want to "hurt" the bottom of the new screen or the cables. It holds very well without it anyway.

You are right, there are some parts (at the sides, for me), where the bezel isn't 100% in contact with the screen, now.
Weird. The screen is perfectly placed, though. Maybe it's some microscopic size change somewhere. I'm sure this can be fixed somehow.

So, now I'm back at 60 Hz, of course. Zero flickering. No more ugly vertical lines. No more "banding" on the "greyshade" test image.

When I have the time, I'll post some photos : I made a lot while I was changing the screen.

SHADO
12-14-2013, 04:11 PM
About friggin' time. That's the video I told you to follow over a week ago, LOL...

Congrats on the new display!! :)

Pierre990429
12-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Little update : I dunno if must laugh, but : now I have the impression that I can sometimes see horizontal lines in some areas.
Chokko, did you notice something like that ?

hmscott
12-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Little update : I dunno if must laugh, but : now I have the impression that I can sometimes see horizontal lines in some areas.
Chokko, did you notice something like that ?

Pierre990429, please share the links / photos / etc where you are seeing the lines.

Pierre990429
12-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I already tried to take a shot, but it's rather difficult.

I'll try again. Basically, it looks like what happened with the AUO, only this time the pattern is horizontal.
It doesn't show on an external screen (connected with the VGA connector);
BUT I start to suspect it has something to do with the Geforce 780M (probably 770M too) and/or the ASUS itself. It's just too many "bad" screens. It cannot be a coincidence.

Happens on 311.83 and 331.XX drivers.

hmscott
12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I already tried to take a shot, but it's rather difficult.

I'll try again. Basically, it looks like what happened with the AUO, only this time the pattern is horizontal.
It doesn't show on an external screen (connected with the VGA connector);
BUT I start to suspect it has something to do with the Geforce 780M (probably 770M too) and/or the ASUS itself. It's just too many "bad" screens. It cannot be a coincidence.

Happens on 311.83 and 331.XX drivers.

It's too bad you hacked up the laptop, as getting Asus to service it to fix the underlying screen driver problem is going to be problematic. Since it isn't the screen it is likely the support hardware that needs replacing.

Most others aren't seeing this problem, so it is logical that there is actually something wrong with the hardware in your particular laptops.

Or, it might not be a problem with the hardware at all...

You may be one of the rare people that see's the frames flash by in movies, or get queasy watching 3D movies - your eye fixates on the framing / queues for movement instead of the content. Different things affect such sensibilities, not all bother the same person.

In the CRT days it used to be the fine wires that held the shadow mask against phosphor screen against the inside of the front glass.

I had a Sony 23" Wide Screen that had such wires. I could see them if I looked close enough in the area I knew them to be passing through, but I usually sit back from the screen a ways, at least arms length, so those wires didn't bother me - some people couldn't keep that monitor it bothered them so much - but that was rare.

I have looked for these lines you speak of on all 3 laptops, JW, JX, JH and I don't see them.

It is like those hidden pictures in dot matrix portraits, they aren't there, and then they are - and you can't not see the image again. Kind of like looking at text in another language and then learning the language - and you can't help not "reading" the text.

Maybe you need to find another laptop that doesn't exhibit the same display artifacts that your eye's have fixed on, or switch to only using an external monitor.

For the rest of us that don't see the problem, or have found a way to get around seeing the lines, it is sad to see you suffer with this problem :(

chokko
12-14-2013, 11:32 PM
sorry to hear about the new problem Pierre

I don't have anything that looks like the vertical lines, that were screaming out to me from across the house. When you say some areas...you only see it on some physical locations of the screen, or only when its a certain color background, or... ?

hmscott
12-14-2013, 11:41 PM

I don't have anything that looks like the vertical lines, that were screaming out to me from across the house. When you say some areas...you only see it on some physical locations of the screen, or only when its a certain color background, or... ?

chokko, before replacing the old screen did you try re-seating the cabling to the original screen to see if that was the problem?

I have fixed screen issues like this before by unplugging and replugging the cables on the screen / motherboard / daughter card.

chokko
12-15-2013, 12:04 AM
nope, first time I heard about that. It did look pretty snug in there though

hmscott
12-15-2013, 12:07 AM
nope, first time I heard about that. It did look pretty snug in there though

It is something to try next time. Just the act of unplugging the old screen and plugging in the new one might have made the connections with the cabling better. Did you unseat the cables from the motherboard too as part of the process?

The small connectors have the wires / sockets pushed in / molded in to the connector the same way - there is some slop in the fit between the little sockets and the pins - leading to connectivity issues - the sockets can be contaminated too causing intermittent connections. Sometimes you have to replace the cables, sometimes re-seating works. Sometimes the driver circuits are faulty and you have to replace the daughter card / motherboard.

The good news is you are happy with the screen now :)

Pierre990429
12-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Only when it's a certain color background, and then it looks like the area is "striped".

I didn't touch the cables from the motherboard's side, because I didn't get there. (I only opened the bezel)

But so many people have described the vertical or horizontal lines that I doubt it's a connectivity problem.

Meanwhile, I have PUT THE AUO SCREEN BACK. Colors & contrast are good actually (to be honest), it is only these faint vertical lines that annoy me.

Pierre990429
12-15-2013, 01:47 PM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/pierre_67/BioshockInf_Elizabeth_StripedHair_zpse9aae224.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/pierre_67/media/BioshockInf_Elizabeth_StripedHair_zpse9aae224.jpg. html)

Here it is; it was hard to get; but you can see that Elizabeth's hair (Bioshock Infinite - Burial at Sea) looks "striped".
With the AUO, the lines are vertical, but occur only in some dark areas. Here, with the LG screen, there were horizontal, and not only (so it's worse) in specific dark zones.

hmscott
12-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Here it is; it was hard to get; but you can see that Elizabeth's hair (Bioshock Infinite - Burial at Sea) looks "striped".
With the AUO, the lines are vertical, but occur only in some dark areas. Here, with the LG screen, there were horizontal, and not only (so it's worse) in specific dark zones.

I would send that photo to Asus and request a repair to fix the problem. That looks to me like a screen driver problem, maybe a cable problem, either way it isn't something you can fix.

I would be honest with them and tell them the entire story - they will see that it has been opened when they get it and will reject repair or slow down the process by contacting you - so give them a short sweet chronology to avoid them questioning the repair. If you didn't damage parts or make it so they have problems proceeding with the repair you should be ok.

Good luck with the fix, and be sure and let us know how Asus treats you :)

Pierre990429
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
As a matter of fact, THIS is the AUO screen image :

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/pierre_67/Skyrim_menu_smoke_zps36061de5.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/pierre_67/media/Skyrim_menu_smoke_zps36061de5.jpg.html)
Skyrim : the intro screen/menu : look at the smoke. It was difficult to get, but you can see faint dark vertical lines.

Yes, it's not easy to spot, but it's there.

(The Bioshock Infinite one was taken with the LG screen. As it seemed worse, I put the AUO back.)

I don't think it's an individual issue, because it's EXACTLY what so many people are already complaining about.
Could be a motherboard/design flaw.

I bought the laptop in an electronics store, so it's not ASUS that I have to contact directly. (doesn't work like that, in France). Anyway, I don't think they would "understand" or "admit" the problem. They will start the laptop, say "duh, I see nothing wrong here", and that's it.
Many French G750 owners reported the same screen problem.

Could other people confirm that the "Skyrim image" is what they saw when they spoke about "faint vertical lines", like me ?

I also found this topic on the Nvidia forum : Vertical Lines on Grey Areas with R310 Drivers : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/525862/vertical-lines-on-grey-areas-with-r310-drivers/

I think I have this issue. No solution yet, I fear.

Maybe I'll wait for the next "monster" : http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-geforce-800m-mobility-lineup-launches-february-2014-geforce-gtx-880m-8-gb-lead-pack/
8 GB ??? And I'll take an Alienware this time.

hmscott
12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
...Maybe I'll wait for the next "monster" : http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-geforce-800m-mobility-lineup-launches-february-2014-geforce-gtx-880m-8-gb-lead-pack/
8 GB ??? And I'll take an Alienware this time.

Damn, and I was just getting serious with my G750JH... :)

"Predicted" benchmarks show its' only a little faster than a 780m... I wonder how they intend on feeding it enough power... the MSI top end uses extra battery wattage while plugged in - the AC Adapter isn't enough...and that is just a GTX780m.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-800m-series-predicted-benchmarks-surface-compared-700m/

We are OC'ing past that 880m % over stock 780m - with the 780m, I wonder how much headroom the 880m will have for OC?

chokko
12-17-2013, 09:55 PM
at the top of your 2nd image in the dark region, I can see the black vertical lines, separating the thicker grey lines. That's what my AOU matte screen looked like, only a lot more prominent.

I don't see any horizontal lines on my LG glossy replacement screen.

is your LG replacement screen a matte or glossy one (the part number seems different) ?

Pierre990429
12-18-2013, 11:26 AM
It's a glossy one. LP173WF1 TL C1 (you have A2).

Where did you buy yours? How could you be sure that you would get the exact reference and not a "compatible" screen ?

Pierre990429
12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, I found it : it's ScreenCountry.com

There is a great site : panelook.com , where you can compare different LCD screens.
Apparently the C1 version of the LP173WF1 isn't very good : only 200 cd/m² and the viewing angles are bad (I noticed that) : 40/40/10/30

The A2 has 300 cd/m² and 60/60/50/50.

Both are glossy and have a 500:1 contrast.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I will give it one LAST chance : Just ordered an A2. There is a chat option where you can try to ask for an EXACT reference and not a "compatible" screen. I hope it will be better.

neuerkunde
12-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone.
I just got my G750 JX. I trusted the reviews on that model and the hardware seemed perfect for me.

But after the first minutes with the G750 I realized the quite common "vertical lines" on my screen. It's a pain to look at!
I am willing to return it, as I am so disappointed.

For the ones with similar issues I can post my specs, and what I've done to improve it a little bit (but still it's bad enough to return the G750):mad:

I have the G750JX with AU Optronics Display [Model: AUO219D]
You can use HWINFO64.exe (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) portable to see what display you have

Long testing to improve finished with following results:
1.) increase the refresh rate from 60Hz to 70Hz - picture gets a bit smoother. Lines still there, but let's say more blurry now.
2.) Windows color calibration - increse the gamma - picture gets darker in general. Lines are less noticeable than before
3.) uninstalled Splendid - color temperatures changed, but no differences concerning the lines
4.) reduced brightness to ~75% - again everything is a bit darker, lines are less noticeable.

As mentioned the lines still exist, and I would love to see a solution for it.

A friend of mine got the G750 JH, and has exactly the same display (AU) and the same issues with the vertical lines.

The picture Pierre990429 posted shows it quite well:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/pierre_67/Skyrim_menu_smoke_zps36061de5.jpg

Pierre990429
12-29-2013, 03:35 PM
I think there is no fix - yet.
Might be a BIOS issue. Really don't know. It isn't the screen, that's sure for me now (LG screens show horizontal lines - and I have tried TWO). ASUS Splendid? Not convinced.

Lots of people don't see it, and lots of people who see it aren't bothered. Period.

But, when you Google "Asus G750 vertical (or "horizontal" ) lines" , you get LOTS of answers. Are all these people nuts ? I don't believe that.

So, I don't think WE are just complaining or never being happy......

I'm happy with my Win7 SP1 64 + ASUS Geforce 580 GTX CUII (driver 314.22) + Samsung S23A700D + Intel i7 2700K + SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium.
I'm happy with my Dell M1710 (Win XP SP2, Geforce Go 7900GTX - driver 174.31, LG LP171WU1 glossy screen)
I'm happy with my PentiumIII-1000 + Win98SE + Mitsubishi 740SB CRT screen + Geforce 5900XT (driver 53.04) + SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1

Anyway : In 2 months or so, there will be laptops with 880M.... and many people will have moved on.

NeuerKunde (are you German ?), you can try as suggested by someone here to re-install Win8.1 from scratch.... who knows? Maybe it will work. (but WHY can I see - I'm almost sure - these lines in the BIOS, when nothing Windows-related is loaded ???????? )

Seriously : If it bothers you much : return the laptop, and wait 2-3 months. Then buy another brand.

neuerkunde
12-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I think there is no fix - yet.
Might be a BIOS issue. Really don't know. It isn't the screen, that's sure for me now (LG screens show horizontal lines - and I have tried TWO). ASUS Splendid? Not convinced.

Lots of people don't see it, and lots of people who see it aren't bothered. Period.
Seriously : If it bothers you much : return the laptop, and wait 2-3 months. Then buy another brand.

Hey Pierre990429
thx for your tip installing win8. Did that in the first place. But those lines + Win8 themes was even worse :-)
Running Win 7 now and I force myself to not see the lines. I'll give it a try for the next days and see if I'll be able to disregard them.
As my friend ist running a clean Win 8.1 (has the lines as well), and I can see those lines as well in the Bios and in a Linux partition tool I assume it's not a Windows / Win Driver related thing. I ruled that out for me.
I used to work on a HP 8760W Notebook. There is a HUGE quality difference between those displays and some other parts. I'll have a closer look on the new workstation HP's now. But in general the Asus met my requirements quite well.

@Pierre990429 ... and indeed I am german

Pierre990429
12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Ich bin Franzose, aber verstehe auch andere Sprachen. In Amazon.de beschwerden sich ebenfalls viele Kunden über diese Linien....

Great infomation, thank you : If it's seen in Linux, it has NOTHING to do with Windows.
So : it's the G750 itself (motherboard, BIOS), or the Geforce 770/780M (vBIOS ?)
I've seen some rare reports in the Alienware forum too.

As you said, with some settings changes, the lines become less visible.

hmscott
12-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Hey Pierre990429
thx for your tip installing win8. Did that in the first place. But those lines + Win8 themes was even worse :-)
Running Win 7 now and I force myself to not see the lines. I'll give it a try for the next days and see if I'll be able to disregard them.
As my friend ist running a clean Win 8.1 (has the lines as well), and I can see those lines as well in the Bios and in a Linux partition tool I assume it's not a Windows / Win Driver related thing. I ruled that out for me.
I used to work on a HP 8760W Notebook. There is a HUGE quality difference between those displays and some other parts. I'll have a closer look on the new workstation HP's now. But in general the Asus met my requirements quite well.

@Pierre990429 ... and indeed I am german

neuerkunde, the key wasn't so much the clean install of Windows 8/8.1, it was having *never* installed Asus Splendid. Once you install that it pollutes the install and the effect can't be removed except by backing up to a Windows install that has never has Asus Splendid installed.

Bad screen is somehow software related...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41729-Bad-screen-is-somehow-software-related...&country=&status=

This may qualify under the category of improves, but doesn't cure the problem, but for chippo, he can live with the screen without the deleterious effect that Asus Splendid drops into the system if ever installed - as chippo says - "bad screen".

Pierre990429/neuerkunde, is the base crosshatch pattern visible in the display on solid colors under magnification the offensive view, or is it rendering issues in some games that you are having a problem with, or both?

It may be that the elements in their pattern used to build an image is offensive to you, and like Pierre99049 has found, it isn't limited to the AUO display, it showed up worse in the other screens he tried.

Have either of you worked up a submission to Asus to ask them to pursue a solution with Nvidia?

During the time of CRT's, some people couldn't live with some forms of "shadow mask":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mask

There were some monitors I loved, the Sony GDM-FW900 being one, that others couldn't stand because of the shadow mask or the retaining wires used to hold it on the inside of the glass.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-Widescreen-Trinitron-Monitor/dp/B00004YNSR/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-0942138-0968425

As Pierre990429 said, it happens on other laptops using the same hardware too, so it may be something that can't be cured, only made more liveable for you.