PDA

View Full Version : Pls enlighten me.

FiNNale
12-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Hi guys,

My g75vw has been with me for about a year now and recently I've decided to give her an upgrade (SSD & 16G ram) due to the sales during thanksgiving. I've been reading up this amazing forum for tips I need to proceed with my upgrade.

So for the ram upgrade it is quite straight forward, my current g75vw comes with the default 12G ram which I believe it is 2x4G under the keyboard and 1x4G on the easy access side. I intend to remove the rams and install my new 2x8G Crucial Ballistix Sport
under the keyboard.

As for the SSD upgrade, I will be replacing one of the 750HDD (my rog comes with 2x750GB HDD) with Samsung 840 Pro Series and i will be using the asus AI recovery disc and following the steps shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlsfk10PUA

I know that by using the AI recovery will restore my rog back to the factory settings, so am i doing anything wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Pitcher@asus
12-03-2013, 05:52 AM
let me confirm your RAM, are there 2X8G in the back + 1X4G under KB or 2X4G in the back + 2X8G under KB?

Clintlgm
12-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Well you could leave the unexposed ram in place. match the voltage and timming of them and install both new 8GB x2 in the top exposed slots, then you will have 24 GB Ram and only remove 4 GB? Also you won't void your warrany if that makes any difference to you

The recovery disk you made should work. But you will be putting all that bloatware back on your new SSD, You might consider clean installing to your new SSD this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) should show you how to accomplish this. Clean Installing with USB install media is much faster than restoring with your recovery disks set

rewben
12-03-2013, 06:18 AM
@FiNNale, if your laptop comes with stock w7, yes ai recovery will help you create restore disks. if it's a w8, then you need the asus backtracker.

i see you are looking at full swap of ram's. which crucial ballistic sport that you're talking about? there are 3 types with different cas latencies: 9, 10, and 11 for 1600MHz, 1.35v. i'm not sure if cas of 9 works well, but i think 10 and 11 should work properly.

edit: i second what @Clintlgm suggested on clean install vs. recovery :D

FiNNale
12-03-2013, 06:58 AM
let me confirm your RAM, are there 2X8G in the back + 1X4G under KB or 2X4G in the back + 2X8G under KB?

It's 2x4G under the keyboard and 1x4G under the panel.

@FiNNale, if your laptop comes with stock w7, yes ai recovery will help you create restore disks. if it's a w8, then you need the asus backtracker.

i see you are looking at full swap of ram's. which crucial ballistic sport that you're talking about? there are 3 types with different cas latencies: 9, 10, and 11 for 1600MHz, 1.35v. i'm not sure if cas of 9 works well, but i think 10 and 11 should work properly.

edit: i second what @Clintlgm suggested on clean install vs. recovery :D

I'm getting the cas9 ram, if that's the case i will try it out to see if it work, and will return to the seller if it doesn't. As the the clean installation that you guys mention, do i need the window installation disc? I'm running on win7 btw. Thanks

rewben
12-03-2013, 07:54 AM
oh the shop has such offer, then it's fine :)

although i believe it should work (i have 4x8gb of the same cas9 ram's running in my other laptop), i have not tested it yet on my g55.

ah lucky you, the iso for w7hp can be downloaded here (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso). don't worry, it's a legal download.

FiNNale
12-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks rewben. So I just download the content to a USB and follow the guide that you created?

rewben
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
yes just follow the steps to create w7 uefi usb stick and you should be good to go.

also, you should back up your activation tokens first. this happened to me previously as i tried to activate the laptop online, when the activation count for the oem key was up. the online activation process failed. you might be interested in trying the asus oem license restorer by our friend @Nodens (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40030-ASUS-OEM-License-Restorer-(Win7)). (however, before you do that back up your activation tokens, just in case)

FiNNale
12-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm getting confuse from reading the guide... is there a simple way to do it? Can I just get an Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit and install it in the new SSD?

rewben
12-04-2013, 01:12 AM
a) format your usb with FAT32;
b) copy all the contents from windows 7 iso into the formatted usb stick;
c) if you have a working windows 7 64bit, find C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi; if not, use 7-zip to open the install.wim in x:\sources\ (select > right click > open archive). then in the 7-zip explorer, browse to folder '1\Windows\Boot\EFI\'. extract the file bootmgfw.efi.
d) now in you usb stick, create a 'boot' folder in the 'efi' folder (i.e. x:\efi\boot) if it's missing. in that efi folder you should see the 'microsoft' folder.
e) put the bootmgfw.efi inside the newly created 'boot' folder and rename it as bootx64.efi (x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi)

yes you can. if you bought the w8.1 oem dvd there should be a legit key for you to proceed.

FiNNale
12-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Will try the USB method 1st. Thanks alot rewben

rewben
12-04-2013, 04:16 AM
don't mention it. good luck!

FiNNale
12-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I've been extracting all the content from the ISO file for about an hour now and it's still at 67%...is it suppose to be that slow?

rewben
12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
uh? one hour just to do that? iirc i don't need that long even if i extracted the contents directly into the fat32 usb stick.

FiNNale
12-06-2013, 03:25 AM
The program hang so i restarted it and it took less than 10mins... my bad.

FiNNale
12-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys for all the help and I'm really happy that i got my SSD up and running. Have done all the SSD tweaks i can find online and my boot up time is about 10 to 12 sec. I am now trying to improve the boot time and read about disable some programs under msconfig. I have totally no idea which are the programs that i can or cannot disable.

rewben
12-18-2013, 02:07 PM
hey congratulations :)

unless you have done enough research about the apps that you are about to disable, please don't do it. 10 to 12 sec boot time is very good indeed.

FiNNale
12-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Ok guess i better not mess up my com.

@rewben I had returned the cas9 ram that i've bought as i read up other post that it might not work. Currently my rog is using the default ram which is the Hynix ram and using cpu-z it shows that it's a cas11 1.5v ram. Does that mean i have to get ram with the same cas, timing and voltage so that i would not face any problem?

rewben
12-20-2013, 03:09 PM
yes, that would be the best match that works well. you can also do combos like 2x4gb + 2x8gb. (as long as the specs match; i did that before)

if you wished to do a full swap, then it's fine to get a set of ram's with different specs.