PDA

View Full Version : G73jh Liquid Cooling

Technoi
09-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Could I get liquid cooling for my G73jh? If so, what are some of the units they sell, and what ones do you guys recommend. Also, would I still need to maintain my thermal paste.
My computer overheats after getting around 100 degrees, and I need to get new thermal paste for it, and considering getting it liquid cooled. Would this help?

Area 66
09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
After the guy who want to SLI 2 GPUs in is laptop, now it's water cooling .... lol

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/aw_jeez.jpg

Technoi
09-08-2011, 01:08 AM
After the guy who want to SLI 2 GPUs in is laptop, now it's water cooling .... lol

You're not helping at all, and if you're not going to help, gtfo.

Area 66
09-08-2011, 02:02 AM
gtfo ??????? you will not even fit a Water Block in your lappy, get real kid

Br4nd3n
09-08-2011, 02:30 AM
No you can't get liquid cooling in the G73 shell. It's impossible in present time.

Cyrekk
09-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Is this a troll?

If not, let's be nice guys. Not everybody knows as much about computing as everyone else does. Otherwise, notify an admin/mod about the trolling.

Brian@ASUS
09-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Could I get liquid cooling for my G73jh? If so, what are some of the units they sell, and what ones do you guys recommend. Also, would I still need to maintain my thermal paste.
My computer overheats after getting around 100 degrees, and I need to get new thermal paste for it, and considering getting it liquid cooled. Would this help?

have you done the vbios update? it should lower your temps

xeromist
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM

Even closed loop air replacement systems are bulky by laptop standards so that wouldn't really be feasible. Liquid cooling is just a means of transferring heat though. Technologies like heat pipes can also transfer heat very well without the bulk of a liquid cooling solution. That's actually what gets used in laptops these days. The reason that your laptop gets hot is not the cooling technology but the amount of heat sink surface area. In a compact laptop there just isn't room for a large heat sink. You'd have the same problem with liquid as a means of transference because you still wouldn't have room for a larger radiator. All you can do is make sure that the software & firmware is updated and if there is a problem with the heat sink paste or something, have it repaired.

Technoi
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
gtfo ??????? you will not even fit a Water Block in your lappy, get real kid

Yes, gtfo.

Is this a troll?

If not, let's be nice guys. Not everybody knows as much about computing as everyone else does. Otherwise, notify an admin/mod about the trolling.

No, I am not a troll. I've never looked into liquid cooling for computers. . .

have you done the vbios update? it should lower your temps

Thank you for a helpful post.

bfradette
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
The reason you got the reaction you did, is because you asked a question similar to this;
"How do I get a 747 jumbo jet engine into my toyota prius?" Go to a mechanic's forum and ask that, see how it goes for you.

If you know liquid cooling exists, one would assume you had seen at least a pic of those setups before, and therefore be able to tell that would never fit into a laptop of this size, and its one of the larger cases out there.

For something a bit more helpful, if your g73 is getting that hot, something is clearly wrong. I am still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail, but Ive worked on a lot of laptops, and researched the heck out of this one before I threw down my money on one. I have only come across 2 laptops that get that hot, normally, one was an old Alienware m9750, which was the first SLI laptop I know of, with 2x 7950gtx cards, which were freaking HOT. The other was my Asus g51j, with a quad core and 360m, and no apparent cooling design in the laptop. It ran those temps no matter what I did.

Check your intake and output ports for your airflow, make sure you aren't clogged with dust. If that doesnt help, and you are as unfamiliar with laptops as it seems, have a pro take it down to put high end thermal paste on it for you, should run about 50 bucks for the job (that's what Id charge, since you have to go through the top to get to it). It is a pain to pay for it, but much worse to have to pay for a new laptop because yours cooked.

Finally, and I don't see this one much, if you take the panel off and check your fans, if the leading edge of each fan blade is covered in dust, simple physics says it can't move air. The dust breaks up the air, rather than letting the blade cut through it and force the movement you need to cool your system. I use a soft brush form a set of hair trimmers, followed by canned air to maintain mine.

Hope this helps.

grungeboy2
09-11-2011, 01:58 AM
i doubt any reputable shop would do that kind of service for that cheap. that's a lot of work for very little money when most shops charge a minumum of 1 hour and rates are usually 75 a hour.

now if you know somebody that's handy with computers they MIGHT be able to do it. try to find someone you can trust and who knows laptops. it's really not that hard to do and it's totally worth 50 bucks.

that said, the number one problem i see with most laptops running hot is always the same. dust clogging the cooling system. take a can of air, blow into the exhaust and then try to blow back through the intake. that should free the dust up, then flush it out.

i did a vent mod to my g51 so all the dust just shoots right out the bottom. the newer ones are more sealed so it could be a bit of trouble.

Chastity@ASUS
09-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Agreed. Blow out those vents first. Work from the inner edge and try and get some circulation.

If it continues to run hot, and it's still under warranty, you can have a local ASP center repaste it for you.