PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Hyper Droid
12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
OK, It's time we have a nice chat about what would be, right now, in this moment of time, the best OS for my Gaming/Programming rig and the rig of all other gamers!

Please part-take by leaving your answer + a reason to why you chose it, you answer will not be counted without a reason!

The idea is to have a clear idea of the advantages and disadvantages of selecting your OS!

Thank you!

Arne Saknussemm
12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Win 8.1 for the.... well....err...win. It's newer and more efficient so for everyday computing and gaming it's going to give you better performance. Any concerns on appearance can be easily addressed with a couple of apps, though 8.1 I don't think needs them...

Hyper Droid
12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Good start to the comments!

Thanks Arne, you know how to make a good comment!

But, as you'd know, it's FAR from over...

Therefore, roll-on the comments!

The more the better! ;)

TOO
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Two votes ... LOL
I thinks is more about the different UI then the system itself, both 7 and 8(.1) are practically the same, I personally didn't liked the 8 so I'm back on 7.
The idea is great but I think it's not mature yet, that app thing and goes forth and back with the desktop and "new desktop".

Hyper Droid
12-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Thank you TOO for your comment... But, to be honest, wasn't really interested in the UI, but more in the functionality of the OS.

My bad, I forgot to mention that! ;)

However, referring to your answer, yeah, most people decide one over the other just because of the UI, but my plan is to go a bit under the hood.

More comments appreciated! :)

billyray520
12-04-2013, 12:21 AM
I voted Windows 7. I like everything about it (just about) It is the last TRUE Windows OS. Ver 8 is really something new, consumer oriented, touchpad oriented, not Windows. From Windows 95 to Windows 7 there is familial resemblance. Windows 8 leaves us suspecting the parentage..;)

Zygomorphic
12-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Generally the same reason as @billyray520. The UI is a big turn-off for me, as is the whole "Secure-Boot" fiasco (since shown not to be secure...). However, the increase in the amount of RAM allowed is nice, since that artificial limitation was simply stupid. Why doesn't MS just take the cap off entirely? It's not like they're saving RAM by limiting the pointer sizes, which have to be 64-bit anyway.

abvolt
12-04-2013, 02:10 AM
I only voted win 7 cuz i'm lazy installing windows is time consuming and because win 7 cost me too much $$

HiVizMan
12-04-2013, 08:23 AM
8.1 easy choice for me. No need to install different drivers, more efficient and very customisable for my needs.

EnthusiastBuild
12-04-2013, 08:33 AM
I voted for 8.1, I was skeptic at first, and really angry when i first installed W8.1 at 3.30 AM in the morning after completing my build, and what greeted me was this ugly "touchpad" "new generation" interface.

Next day i bought Start 8 and im Happy since, aswell happy how it performs, better than W7 in my eyes.

Hyper Droid
12-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I think that Windows 8 is supposed to be BULT better, but the UI is therrible, which is why I would get Start 8 on W8, just like my laptop! ;)

I think, personally, it would be best to get W8 & afterwards get Start 8 to get rid of that rubbish Touchpad...

I think the only thing that messed-up windows 8 is the UI! ;)

chrsplmr
12-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Im still running 7 for now .. have had 8 sit'n on desk for months, but I think it is hands down above 7, once
the shock of it being different and nothing is where it was passes.
I find it quite clever and as the months pass with user comments I see it is not Vista.
Don't be surprised if you see it on my lil V during the next challenge.c.