PDA

View Full Version : Asus Laptop is using Intel HD graphics card rather Nvidia card. Plz Help!!

cjenkin2
12-05-2013, 04:31 AM
I have a Asus G46VW laptop that has an Intel HD 4000 chip and then a Geforce GTX 660m. It was working great until a couple weeks ago. It might have been when I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure. Anyways, my computer is using the Intel HD 4000 chip instead of the Nvidia one.

I checked under device manager and both drivers are listed under Display adapters. But for some reason it's running off the intel one rather than the nvidia one. It's like the nvidia one appears to be installed but isn't doing anything.

Here's what I've done that has worked:

Updated the Nvidia driver. It updated just fine with no problems, but didn't seem to fix anything.

Tried to update my intel driver but it keeps telling me I'm not using the right operating system, I've already contacted intel and am working it out with them. BUT, when I uninstall or disable the intel chip altogether, the Nvidia one still doesn't kick in. It just says my computer has no chip installed

I've tried uninstalling all the chips and then re-installing them

I have a laptop, so physically taking the chip out isn't possible

The only thing I haven't done is gone into BIOS, but I don't think that'll do anything because if I disable the intel chip, the nvidia one doesn't kick in. So it's not just a simple matter of which chip is primary and which chip is secondary

going into the Nvidia control panel and changing the global settings to the nvidia card. As far as I can tell, I still have framerate problems I didn't have before even with doing all these things so I don't think optimus is switching over

Please help! And if you think this is a hardware problem, let me know. Because I got the extended warranty, so a hardware problem should be covered.

Thanks in advance.

chrsplmr
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
cjenkin2-Welcome to ROG.

And this is all with the unit plugged in ? Not on battery power correct ? .c.

cjenkin2
12-05-2013, 10:31 PM
cjenkin2-Welcome to ROG.

And this is all with the unit plugged in ? Not on battery power correct ? .c.

Thanks, yah, always plugged in. But either way, the Nvidia card should kick in if the Intel HD 4000 is disabled right?