PDA

View Full Version : Clean install on new SSD question

jbreeze228
12-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Finally making the switch to a SSD but had a quick question. Since this is my first "gaming laptop" I noticed when you boot the laptop there is the ASUS ROG boot screen, will that still be there if I do a clean install on a new SSD? I kind of like that boot animation and didn't want it to be replaced by a "Windows" boot animation. If this has already been asked or answered, I apologize. I did search first and couldn't find a thread on it. I have the G750JW (Best Buy version). I'm going to order the Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB in the next hour or so while it's still $90 on newegg.

villiansv
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I performed a clean install on an SSD, the logo is still there. It seems to be embedded in the bios and is a UEFI feature. If you go to the BIOS, enable "Launch CSM" and then enable "Launch PXE OpROM", this will give you an old-school legacy BIOS system. In that case, the logo disappears and you see the standard win8 blue flag logo.

jbreeze228
12-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Very helpful information! Thank you sir. Deff don't want the Windows 8 boot logo/animation =P

villiansv
12-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah, the only reason you may want those options on afaik is to get OS X running (though once installed, OS X boots in UEFI mode as well for me)

jbreeze228
12-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't plan on every installing OS X. I'm perfectly fine with 8.1.. just wish we could get some updated drivers. Especially wifi drivers.

Did you notice any performance gains in gaming switching to the SSD?

villiansv
12-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Gaming is one of the things that benefits the least from an SSD. The true benefit of an SSD lies in very fast random small file access, e.g. think of your browser reading/writing lots of small cache files, or Word loading up its .exe and .dll etc files. The problem regular HDDs have with this is that due to their mechanic nature, if ever the head of the HDD has to move, the random access slows down a lot. HDDs are good for large file operations (e.g. movies). While SSDs are still faster in this, the difference is not as pronounced.

Games are largely dependent on a few very large files being read from (e.g. a large texture pack), so they are actually ok to run from an HDD. Most games rely on caching a level in memory ("loading" screens) before playing. So an SSD will generally shorten loading times by a few seconds, but gameplay will be largely unaffected.

You want your OS and programs installed on the SSD, and then the games you play most (e.g. for me it's SC2). Everything else can be on the HDD (music, films, pictures, less commonly played games). Of course, if you have a large enough SSD, put everything on it. Mine is just a 3-year-old 128GB Intel, so I pick and choose until I get around to buying a larger one - for now I don't find it necessary.

jbreeze228
12-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Ah ok. Well I'm also ordering an additional 8G of RAM to go on top the 8G already on here. From doing one of those scan test these laptops have 4 RAM slots correct? Yeah I plan to put the HDD in the other slot and keep games on there and I have an external for my 300G's of movies and music =P I'm just tired of hearing that parking needle or whatever clicking all the time, especially while I'm gaming. And I need the extra RAM because I sometimes get low memory warning while playing BF4

villiansv
12-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Yes, 4 slots. 2 inaccessible unless you open the laptop up a bit (factory-installed ram is in those), and 2 at the bottom which should be empty. CPU-Z can show you which slots have what module (SPD tab). Slots 2 and 4 are the inaccessible ones, 1 and 3 are the ones next to the hard drives.

What kind of a poorly-coded game complains with 8GB of ram? Seriously. Its graphics aren't anything special either.

jbreeze228
12-05-2013, 11:59 PM
2 of them inaccessible that's crazy. But thankfully the inaccessible ones (slot 2 & 4) are the ones that have the factory RAM installed. BF4 is not that bad. Graphics are way better than BF3. I bought this laptop for school (Networking) and decided since it's a gaming laptop I needed a good graphic demanding game all I had was CSS and I get 300 fps the entire time LOL. The memory problem just happens randomly, I'll have my browser open with 5 tabs, microsoft word open also and email. I do agree that BF4 is poorly coded but after owning BF3 I will NEVER go back to COD

villiansv
12-06-2013, 12:38 AM
I may have worded it wrong. They are accessible, however if you do it yourself you'd probably void the warranty. However, if you wanted to put ram in those slots, I'm hopeful an Asus service centre would do it for free.

jbreeze228
12-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Deff don't want to void warranty but I also have the 2 year Best Buy protection plan. And I highly doubt there is an Asus Service Center in the state of Mississippi haha.

jbreeze228
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
So I was at Office Depot yesterday and they had a Toshiba Q Series SSD 128GB for $100 so I picked it up, slapped it in my G750JW, installed a fresh copy of 8.1 and my god this thing is fast! Games load almost instantly, laptop feels cooler especially in the hard drive area. Using the old 1TB hard drive to keep all my stuff on. Question though, after reinstalling the drive bay cover (the black plastic piece under the laptop) does anybodys cover not close all the way? Mine has a small bulge in it.. I didn't change anything around and I don't see how anything would stop it from being seated. I can push it in, but after awhile it just pops back out

hmscott
12-09-2013, 05:56 AM
So I was at Office Depot yesterday and they had a Toshiba Q Series SSD 128GB for $100 so I picked it up, slapped it in my G750JW, installed a fresh copy of 8.1 and my god this thing is fast! Games load almost instantly, laptop feels cooler especially in the hard drive area. Using the old 1TB hard drive to keep all my stuff on. Question though, after reinstalling the drive bay cover (the black plastic piece under the laptop) does anybodys cover not close all the way? Mine has a small bulge in it.. I didn't change anything around and I don't see how anything would stop it from being seated. I can push it in, but after awhile it just pops back out

It takes a bit of finesse to get the cover to snap back in completely. I start by putting the rear hinge clip tabs in while holding the cover almost vertical / perpendicular from the laptop, then dropping the cover down slowly - bending the sides in as needed to hook the tabs, one side then the other, and finally pushing in/clicking each tab location from the right / left side back to front.

The retained screw in the lid sometimes gets hitched up and doesn't go all the way in, causing a bulge at the center end of the cover. I run the screw backwards before turning it clockwise to screw in.

Patience and slowness, don't pop it out like a couple of the youtube videos do, that'll break a tab eventually. :)

You might also have a piece of the sponge material wedged in between something causing the cover to not close, check around the bulge for a binding piece.

jbreeze228
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Got it fixed last night. Found a old thread on this forum about that issue. Apparently it's caused from the double stacked foam on the hard drive cage. Pulled one layer off and bam! Fits perfect ;)