PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with a lot of complaints about their G750JW?

mattmccleary
12-06-2013, 06:28 AM
I saved up my money to grab a G75 because I'd heard that they were awesome for the price and all the reviews seemed to praise them highly, but just as I was getting ready to buy the G750JW units hit the shelves with units that had slightly better specs for the same price as the model I was going to grab, so I opted for this one instead.

In terms of raw computing power I couldn't ask for much more for my money, but I have three major problems with this thing now. The first is that the quality of the screen is garbage: I can see visible divisions between pixels horizontally (I don't know what the technical term for it would be) on certain colors, such that when I scroll the page I can actually see them shift and flicker, and at any brightness below maximum (such as when dimmed for battery saving purposes), the entire screen flickers unless I lower the refresh rate. Is this common? Is it supposed to be acceptable?

The second problem has confused me for months and cost me quite a bit of money before I finally was able to nail it down: there's something wrong with my USB ports, or something. I was using an old Wireless Xbox 360 controller with a (very old) official Microsoft Wireless Receiver unit, and I was having trouble with input getting wacky -- buttons seem to 'stick,' it doesn't respond, etc. -- so I first tried buying a new receiver unit. Same problem. Okay, maybe it's the controller then. Get another wireless controller... same problem. Okay! There must be a cheap device in the house somewhere interfering with the radio signal, so I just get a wired one... and the problem persists! I start testing out some other USB devices and find that about half of them have issues ranging from frequent power-downs to interrupted signals and the works. Is this common?

And third, the speakers (which frankly I was kind of disappointed in but managed to adjust to) are starting to cut out! I like to think I take pretty good care of this thing -- it's only suffered a short foot-and-a-half fall to a carpeted floor sliding off of my chair arm -- and it hasn't even been 6 months since I bought it. What's the deal? Is anybody else having these issues?

Oh, and another thing: why has the Live Updater software not informed me of or attempted to download a single update since I bought the thing? It insists there's nothing available or ready when I can go to the support site and see that's not true. What the hell?

mattmccleary
12-06-2013, 06:36 AM
This is actually the second time I'm getting this experience from ASUS, I should mention: I'm one of the unfortunate souls who heard so many good things about the Transformer tablet and mistakenly bought the TF201. Anybody who owns one of those probably knows what an awful experience that's been. I have the RT-N56U router as well, which thankfully has held up much better, but I'm thinking I'm going to stop buying ASUS products at this rate. The TF201 and this laptop were far too expensive to be such disasters and I'm pretty unhappy.

And what's the deal with this website? So many parts and pieces of it have been so painfully slow to load over the past few months, and sometimes they just outright break. What's going on over there?

susan
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
I saved up my money to grab a G75 because I'd heard that they were awesome for the price and all the reviews seemed to praise them highly, but just as I was getting ready to buy the G750JW units hit the shelves with units that had slightly better specs for the same price as the model I was going to grab, so I opted for this one instead.

In terms of raw computing power I couldn't ask for much more for my money, but I have three major problems with this thing now. The first is that the quality of the screen is garbage: I can see visible divisions between pixels horizontally (I don't know what the technical term for it would be) on certain colors, such that when I scroll the page I can actually see them shift and flicker, and at any brightness below maximum (such as when dimmed for battery saving purposes), the entire screen flickers unless I lower the refresh rate. Is this common? Is it supposed to be acceptable?

The second problem has confused me for months and cost me quite a bit of money before I finally was able to nail it down: there's something wrong with my USB ports, or something. I was using an old Wireless Xbox 360 controller with a (very old) official Microsoft Wireless Receiver unit, and I was having trouble with input getting wacky -- buttons seem to 'stick,' it doesn't respond, etc. -- so I first tried buying a new receiver unit. Same problem. Okay, maybe it's the controller then. Get another wireless controller... same problem. Okay! There must be a cheap device in the house somewhere interfering with the radio signal, so I just get a wired one... and the problem persists! I start testing out some other USB devices and find that about half of them have issues ranging from frequent power-downs to interrupted signals and the works. Is this common?

And third, the speakers (which frankly I was kind of disappointed in but managed to adjust to) are starting to cut out! I like to think I take pretty good care of this thing -- it's only suffered a short foot-and-a-half fall to a carpeted floor sliding off of my chair arm -- and it hasn't even been 6 months since I bought it. What's the deal? Is anybody else having these issues?

Oh, and another thing: why has the Live Updater software not informed me of or attempted to download a single update since I bought the thing? It insists there's nothing available or ready when I can go to the support site and see that's not true. What the hell?

I have had my JW for about 2 months and am not having any of the problems you describe. (fingers crossed!) I do notice, though, that I don't get any updates either. When I click on the updater I always get a message that says there are no updates. And I know there are some from having read this forum. I think ASUS is not so good about handling this kind of thing.

This laptop is pretty heavy. I'm wondering if the spill yours took caused some problems. :-( I hope you can get them fixed! Sorry not to be of help. Maybe others will chime in and offer some suggestions.

mattmccleary
12-06-2013, 08:09 AM
All but the last problem actually started before I dropped it. Still, being so heavy and with the case being so sturdy, I would think it could take more of a beating than the cheap general-purpose models I've bought from Walmart in the past. :/

But thanks for the well wishes, at least. Appreciated. Glad you're enjoying yours!

mattmccleary
12-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Nobody else having any of these issues? Did I manage to pick a dud somehow?

reka121402
12-07-2013, 03:19 PM
The screen issue is common to units bought in Best Buy and a search on this forum should provide solutions, but the quick things to do would be uninstall Splendid Vision (*or something like that) and up the refresh rate to 100Hz.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33760-Bad-displays-horizontal-lines-issue&highlight=g750jw+screen+problems

As for the USB and speakers, don't really know what to tell you there.

Plus, when dropping this laptop vs. bargain brands you are comparing 7lbs to 3lbs but the hardware is all going to be similar in build design/qualty (not performance). An example would be to drop the same size weights on your foot, one is going to cause more damage and pain than the other.