PDA

View Full Version : Celticguy's Log

celticguy75
09-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Well,

Here goes, After 8-9 months of wishful thinking, I've finally started to get the parts for my new machine.

So far I've got the Cooler Master HAF X - I got this for a combination of looks, perforance and upgrade potential.

Today saw the arrival of a Rampage III Black Edition. After losing out on two in the UK thanks to Asus' limited availability, I scored one from the US (Paying over the odds for delviery & import tax though)

The board looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to get started.

Still on the list is

1 - Corsair H100 CPU cooler. (Mostly for getting the fan configuration ready for Phase 2 which is full watercooling.
2 - I7 CPU - Which one depends on a few factors, including price. It's going to be one of the last things I get.
3 - GTX580. The Mars II beast tempted me, but i want to upgrade to watercooling GPU at some point, and it would become redundant
4 - PSU - Still tempted by the Silverstone 1500w (Mainly again for upgrade potential)
5 - SSD - Not sure what to go for yet, probably around 100gb mark
6 - Memory - Not sure what to get here either.. Probably corsair

I want this machine to be overpowered so that I can keep it going for a long time

chrsplmr
09-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Looks like a super start to a hot rig..

Mars II...yum... work out the water issue when you upgrade..

Im a huge fan of Corsair Dominator GT..and yet to see an issue
from this RAM on any of the boards..........
I think the PSU is serious overkill... but... if overkill is your flavor..haha
The SSD I skipped, I see their advantage in nanoseconds....
certainly no difference in boot..that I have seen...
ie::: C5F..average boot 56seconds.... I do that consistantly without SSD all ready...
But if it is in the budget...by all means.
Best of Luck... cant wait.c.

celticguy75
12-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've had more than a few things crop up...

1 - Rampage 3 Black Edition
2 - HAF X
3 - Cooler Master M700 psu
4 - Corsair H100

Just need memory, cpu & graphic card now - As soon as I've got this, the build will be complete for stage 1 I'm going chaap & functional for now because my main PC has died completely.

celticguy75
04-06-2012, 08:07 PM
And a few months later, I finally update this.

I did get the machine mostly finished. I'm running the 32 bit version of Win 7 Ultimate at present so I'm losing out on about 5gb of ram. I haven't bought the ANC Vulcan headphones yet and I'm needing a new monitor. All little things that will just fine tune stage 1 of the build.

Loud & Fast
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
let us see some pics! I'm such a fan of the RIIIE BE - they are not available anymore (with luck you find a used one on the bay)
Only rearl bad thing is the 32bit Win.

Giannis996
04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
dont forget the pictures!!!!

frisianbear2002
04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah because we like pics on this forum hahahahaha :cool:

celticguy75
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Still no pictures yet, Ain't I lazy?

Current status? well, I kinda went ROG/Asus crazy....

Motherboard - Rampage III Black Edition (Don't ask the hoops I went through for this, 3 orders from the UK failed as none in the UK left, had to go to the US to get it)
Case - HAF-X (Really love this case)
CPU - Core 17-960
Memory - 8GB Corsair Dominator GT
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Sealed Water cooled unit
HDD - Western Digital 3tb Caviar Green
DVD - LG
Video - 1 Asus Nvidia GTX560 DirectCU II Top

Most of that I already had....

what I bought in the last month though....

Windows 7 64Bit (To utilise all 8gb memory)
Asus ROG Vulcan ANC Headphones (Oh jesus, I've never been a headphone wearer, but there are SO stylish and comfortable.... and the active noise cancelling is awesome)
Asus VG278H Monitor - Yes, a 27" asus Monitor with 3d (haven't used the 3d yet) I'm using a 4 way HDMI splitter box, so my PC monitor can now have my TV signal, PS3, DVD player etc all plugged into one. It's been a big time game changer for me. I still have my 22" Samsung as a second monitor (Ideal when working at home, I can have a movie playing on one screen while I write on t'other.

I'm currently having some minor teething trouble with heat, so I've moved the case to a better position for airflow, and might pick up a second 200mm fan for the top of the HAFX i might even replace the fans present to something with more oomph.

But, so far, my experience with Asus, ROG etc, has been awesome. They've won a customer in me I think. Their help on this site, and the great help provided by the other members of the forum have played a big part in my choices this year.

Zka17
08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
It seems pretty nice... - and yes, we would like some pictures! :cool:

May I ask which Dominator GT model you have exactly? Is it a dual channel kit?

celticguy75
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I'll try to take some pictures soon...

and yes, it's the dual channel 2x4gb kit....

Zka17
08-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Any special reason why you went with dual channel? That mobo and CPU supports triple channel...

celticguy75
08-04-2012, 12:52 AM
At the time, it was cost, availability and trust.

I have notes jotted down for Phase II which includes triple channel memory, and full watercooling. :)

celticguy75
09-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Well, it's been a VERY VERY long time since my last visit here. Stuff other than computers have taken up my time, and I return in a moment of desperation.

My trusty VG278 is dying (black spots at the bottom of the screen which fade when it warms up) and before it goes completely, I'm hoping to get in to phase 1.5 of my build. (Exactly the same as the last time I was here).

The Swift PG278Q has DEFINIELY caught my eye, but I noted with horror that time has marched on and my trusty GTX 560 is useless with it as it doesn't have any displayport sockets. I've been trying to figure out what Nvidia card I should be thinking of, considering my Rampage III Black board is only PCI 2.0x16. Any recommendations out there (apart from buying the Rampage V Extreme and starting all over again)

So far I've looked at the Matrix GTX580 Platinum which has DVI, HDMI AND Displayport.

You've always been amazingly generous with your help, and I hope you can again in my hour of need.

Skunk
09-14-2015, 12:14 AM
PCI-e 3.0 is backward compatible with PCI-e 2.0. PCI-e 2.0 will transfer at 5.0GT/s and has a 20% overhead in it's 8/10-bit protocol encoding versus PCI-e 3.0 at 8.0GT/s with a 128/130 protocol encoding; it is effectively half the speed. However, if you are able to use the full 16-lane slot, it will be equivalent to an 8-lane PCI-e 3.0 slot, in terms of bandwidth.

So, unless for other reasons you want to upgrade your motherboard and processor (e.g. update I/O), you can go with a modern GPU.

celticguy75
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Well, things have moved on a bit since this build, and following the bad news that I can no longer get my paws on a full board block for my Rampage III black edition, I'm planning on a completely new iteration of my build. My Project 2016 is going to be as follows

Stage 1 - Purchase a GTX980ti Strix - This will allow me to keep on gaming while I acquire the bits I need to build a new beast.

Stage 2 - Beast Mode Preparing.

Rampage V Extreme (unless they announce a Black Edition or a Rampage 6 Extreme while I'm collecting the bits
Corsair Dominator Platinum - 16gb min, but I am very tempted by the larger kits. This is somewhere where I might need some advice and guidance
Solid State hard drive - Again, a subject I'm only passingly familiar with so advice and guidance will be needed.
Second Asus GT9980ti Strix - SLI BABY!
CPU - Not sure on this yet, more details soon
PSU - Again, not sure, but tempted by the Corsair. I've got a Cooler Master 700w at the moment, but running two GPU's will tax it.
3TB Western Digital Black - Already have this as my Data storage and I might get a second.
Case - I'm sticking with my HAF X. It needs some TLC to bring it back to it's former glory. It should be big enough to handle the watercooling.

Yes, you heard it. Above all, this puppy will be watercooled from the start. Full board/cpu/gpu etc. I'm toying with the idea of twin loops. I'm going to stick mostly with EK waterblock stuff. I do like bay mounted reservoirs though.

More as I think about it. I'm sure ot have missed something out somewhere.