PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Stock Hard Drives To SSDs - G74SX

Waerloga
12-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade both of the stock hard drives in my G74SX to SSDs. I have no prior experience doing this and am seeking some advice on how to do it from start to finish. I have been looking at the Samsung 340 series SSD. The tricky part is that I want to copy my OS and all other data from my stock drives to the new ones. I tried looking it up and people were talking about cloning and imaging. After reading a few articles I just became more and more confused. Sorry to be so noob but I'd appreciate any and all help on this matter. Thanks!

Deathisgod
12-07-2013, 05:21 AM
read this please.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421302,00.asp

why 2 ssds?

thats expensive and will result in a large drop in storage.

Your best bet would be to get a ssd for your os and keep a larger hdd for storage and such.

billyray520
12-07-2013, 03:29 PM
It would help a lot if you said what size your two hdd's are currently, and what the percent of used space is on each. Also what OS you are using, and whether you have access to an external hdd drive. It might help also to know whether you have a recovery partition, and if you have the current hdds partitioned in any other way. (to the best of your knowledge)

Waerloga
12-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Total GBs are 908, used is 268 GBs. I'm using Windows 7 64bit. I have no external but planned on buying one for this. I don't know about the partition thing or the recovery partition. My computer shows I have a drive called recovery.

I'm wanting 2 SSDs purely for the increase in speed and performance. I don't know which HHD has my OS on it and I'm not sure if I have raid or which hhd all my info is on (is it on just one or both hhds)? I thought I'd receive a significant boost in performance by ditching both HHDs and getting SSDs.

indianacarnie
12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Here's a very good tutorial on that. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html

I changed mine out about 10 months ago and could not be happier.