PDA

View Full Version : How Can I make a recovery of my G750JX ?

blackbomb
12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a G750JX laptop and I want to make a recovery of my (recovery partitions) and windows 8 pro as well. Can someone please help me out with it ?? How am i suppose to do that ?

Can anyone tell me the instructions ?? is there any particular program for it ?!

hmscott
12-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a G750JX laptop and I want to make a recovery of my (recovery partitions) and windows 8 pro as well. Can someone please help me out with it ?? How am i suppose to do that ?

Can anyone tell me the instructions ?? is there any particular program for it ?!

Asus provides the Backtracker backup program, it backs up about 13GB. I don't know if that is all there is in the backup partitions.

After running the Backtracker app on a 32GB USB flash drive - about $25 locally - I copied over the C:\Windows\eSupport directory too. I will also copy over newer drivers as they come out and put them in another folder on the USB drive. That way I have all the recovery options covered.

Before using the Backtracker program, I have cloned the original drive to an image file, and then to an SSD (JW/JX), but on the JH I only made an image file backup of the original OEM install, an image after I updated to Windows 8.1, and every so often another image backup of the current state of my C drive.

I use Macrium Reflect for the image backups and SSD cloning, the free version works without restriction, but purchasing is nice too:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

blackbomb
12-09-2013, 03:24 AM
You said there is program called Backtracker for taking back up, Is that Creating a complete recovery from my Windows as well as my Recovery partitions ?

You mentioned that, before using backtracker you CLONED the original Drive , why do we need to do that when we are creating back up with backtracker ??? I am sorry to ask you all this but I'm kindda new to all this things .

Thanks for replying by d way hmscot :)

hmscott
12-09-2013, 04:26 AM
You said there is program called Backtracker for taking back up, Is that Creating a complete recovery from my Windows as well as my Recovery partitions ?

You mentioned that, before using backtracker you CLONED the original Drive , why do we need to do that when we are creating back up with backtracker ??? I am sorry to ask you all this but I'm kindda new to all this things .

Thanks for replying by d way hmscot :)

I use all three methods of backing up, for 3 different parts of the same reason - being able to recover quickly.

Being able to recover quickly, in different circumstances - like a dead disk, or a dead laptop, or recovering to another laptop - all have their place.

The Backtracker backup only gives you a way to recover back to a clean install of the OS, like it was when it came from the factory. It doesn't backup your user data or configuration.

I haven't used Backtracker yet for a restore, but it is likely Backtracker will want to erase all of my data and build a clean set of partitions that meets its spec for a clean install of the original Asus OEM configuration - so if you combined partitions like I have on the SSD RAID and 1TB drive, Backtracker won't like it and it will want to create the original partitioning before continuing the restore.

Anyone have first hand experience with Backtracker doing a restore?

Asus splits both "drives" on the JH into 4 partitions, which is normal good practice to preserve data in case 1 partition on the drive gets corrupted you have good data on the other partition. On the JH 128GBx2 SSD RAID the partitions are too small. And the same goes for the 1TB drive, at least for my tastes. So I used Windows to combine the partitions on each drive to make single partitions on each drive.

Backtracker likely won't want to restore to my partitioning without repartitioning.

The Macrium Reflect cloning from the original HD drive to an SSD is to replace the original drive with an SSD.

By preserving the factory partitioning by cloning it preserves restore functionality - if I make the same partitions on the SSD I can do the same restore/refresh trick as with the original HD. I did this on the JW/JX. The JH already has an SSD boot "drive".

The Macrium Reflect imaging of the boot drive preserves everything including partitioning into a single - or many less than 4GB - file(s) that I can use to recreate my exact configuration at the time of the backup, on a new drive.

On the Backtracker USB flash drive backup I keep Asus/vendor driver updates and a copy of the Asus eSupport folder full of apps / drivers, so I have them handy when rebuilding a system should my drive/laptop fail.

So, to answer your questions, you need all of these methods for a complete backup of all of your stuff, and to restore to a new boot drive with the original Asus configuration and your own configuration and user data.

blackbomb
12-09-2013, 06:11 AM
I use all three methods of backing up, for 3 different parts of the same reason - being able to recover quickly.

Being able to recover quickly, in different circumstances - like a dead disk, or a dead laptop, or recovering to another laptop - all have their place.

The Backtracker backup only gives you a way to recover back to a clean install of the OS, like it was when it came from the factory. It doesn't backup your user data or configuration.

I haven't used Backtracker yet for a restore, but it is likely Backtracker will want to erase all of my data and build a clean set of partitions that meets its spec for a clean install of the original Asus OEM configuration - so if you combined partitions like I have on the SSD RAID and 1TB drive, Backtracker won't like it and it will want to create the original partitioning before continuing the restore.

Anyone have first hand experience with Backtracker doing a restore?

Asus splits both "drives" on the JH into 4 partitions, which is normal good practice to preserve data in case 1 partition on the drive gets corrupted you have good data on the other partition. On the JH 128GBx2 SSD RAID the partitions are too small. And the same goes for the 1TB drive, at least for my tastes. So I used Windows to combine the partitions on each drive to make single partitions on each drive.

Backtracker likely won't want to restore to my partitioning without repartitioning.

The Macrium Reflect cloning from the original HD drive to an SSD is to replace the original drive with an SSD.

By preserving the factory partitioning by cloning it preserves restore functionality - if I make the same partitions on the SSD I can do the same restore/refresh trick as with the original HD. I did this on the JW/JX. The JH already has an SSD boot "drive".

The Macrium Reflect imaging of the boot drive preserves everything including partitioning into a single - or many less than 4GB - file(s) that I can use to recreate my exact configuration at the time of the backup, on a new drive.

On the Backtracker USB flash drive backup I keep Asus/vendor driver updates and a copy of the Asus eSupport folder full of apps / drivers, so I have them handy when rebuilding a system should my drive/laptop fail.

So, to answer your questions, you need all of these methods for a complete backup of all of your stuff, and to restore to a new boot drive with the original Asus configuration and your own configuration and user data.

You gave me a great explanation but unfortunately I'm really confused now Hmscot.

Let me make few things clear,I just wanna have a back up of my OS as well as my Recovery drivers (Graphic Card,Audio and So on).

On the other hand,I haven't installed any program yet nor have any data in my Hard Drivers.

Well,you said Backtracker will want to erase all of my data and build a clean set of partitions, when I got my G750JX it had 4 HD drivers.

One is my C drive which is the pre installed OS ,drivers and 3 empty Hard drivers . What I did was I combined one of the driver to extend

the other one to a high capacity so I totally have got 3 now and I don't have any data in it.

The other thing is I don't see my Recovery Partitions its already hidden I guess . I figured it out through disk management and

I KNOW you already know all this stuff :D

I guess I don't need to clone anything now because I have nothing in my Original HD drive right ? As you said if I have any user data or my own configuration then I do .

Is there anyway for you to demonstrate me the instuctions ??! How I can creat the recovery in Backtracker and Macrium Reflect .

In Addition, I found a program Called (ASUSRecovery) in Asus Website . Have you ever heard of this program ?

I haven't run it yet but I guess it does same as Backtracker if I'm not wrong .Do you know anything about this ?

thanks.

hmscott
12-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Blackbomb, take it slow, and think about it... read the docs for backtracker and macrium reflect, and sleep on it. All the info is there in the posts :)

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Time for me to sleep on it... Night.

blackbomb
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Blackbomb, take it slow, and think about it... read the docs for backtracker and macrium reflect, and sleep on it. All the info is there in the posts :)

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Time for me to sleep on it... Night.

Hmscott, I read few topics related to Backtracker in some other fourms and I even checked out that link you gave me but unfortunately there
were not any useful docs for backtracker.

I just found out that to run backtracker we need to do couple of things, I don't know whether it's a right pattern or not so
I just copied it for you to go through it ...

- Connect a USB drive (HDD or Pendrive with minimum 15GB size)

- Run ASUS Backtracker and select the proper device (pay attention that all content will be erased, so use an empty one)

- When finished, shutdown the computer.

- Remove original HDD and insert ONLY SSD.

- Turn on pc with the USB drive connected

- the program will automatically recreate everithing like original state (Windows 8, apps and recovery partition).

Before you make anything of these step, you have to convert SSD disk to GPT partition (i'm not sure if ASUS Backtracker do it automatically so follow thi steps)

- connect SSD to any PC (internally or externally).

- under disk management select SSD (not the partitions but the entire SSD), right click onto it and convert to GPT.

Do I really need to Remove my original HDD ?

What about Convertin SSD disk to GPT , Is it require ??

Thanks.

hmscott
12-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Hmscott, I read few topics related to Backtracker in some other fourms and I even checked out that link you gave me but unfortunately there
were not any useful docs for backtracker.

I just found out that to run backtracker we need to do couple of things, I don't know whether it's a right pattern or not so
I just copied it for you to go through it ...

- Connect a USB drive (HDD or Pendrive with minimum 15GB size)

- Run ASUS Backtracker and select the proper device (pay attention that all content will be erased, so use an empty one)

- When finished, shutdown the computer.

- Remove original HDD and insert ONLY SSD.

- Turn on pc with the USB drive connected

- the program will automatically recreate everithing like original state (Windows 8, apps and recovery partition).

Before you make anything of these step, you have to convert SSD disk to GPT partition (i'm not sure if ASUS Backtracker do it automatically so follow thi steps)

- connect SSD to any PC (internally or externally).

- under disk management select SSD (not the partitions but the entire SSD), right click onto it and convert to GPT.

Do I really need to Remove my original HDD ?

What about Convertin SSD disk to GPT , Is it require ??

Thanks.

You remove the original drive because it also has a Windows install, and there is a chance the OS or an application will get confused and use the wrong Windows - I have had it happen - I learned on my own to remove the original C drive through experience.

You will only get a clean OEM Asus Install by using the Asus Backtracker backup/restore of the recovery partiions.

If you want to preserve the installs / configs you have already done on the original HD, you can use Macrium Reflect to clone the HD to the SSD, it only takes about 20 to minutes to Clone - and then pull the original HD.

I put the original HD aside, or in a USB 3.0 case so I can use the empty DATA partition on the drive :)

Have fun :)

cl-Albert
12-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I refer you to this sticky thread for more information which you may want to check if you haven't already "http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&p=342084#post342084" .

Anyway, using the ASUS Backtracker software is pretty straightforward and basically you just download, install, and run it to save your original ASUS Win8 factory recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive.
You may want to think of it as creating recovery disks, but to a USB drive instead of DVDs.
After you restore the ASUS Backtracker back-up, Windows will be back to the factory original condition like when you first bought it.
It doesn't save anything else, so if you have other things you want to save, back everything else up if necessary, or use a different program to back-up your entire hard drive image if you prefer.

If you just received the notebook, run ASUS Backtracker to make the back-up first and don't worry about removing hard drives yet.
Sounds like hmscott was suggesting this for customers that are upgrading their hard drive and reinstalling the ASUS Win8 image with your ASUS Backtracker back-up which doesn't sound like you are planning to do yet.

If possible though, it's a good idea to test your backup with another hard drive just to confirm everything will work properly when you need it.

Sorry, we may have given you too much information this time if you are just concerned about backing up your original ASUS Win8 factory image rather than upgrading to another hard drive, just ignore the other unrelated material if necessary.

Prostar Computer
12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Or you can use the Windows 8 "create a recovery drive" utility to make a backup image of the recovery. Alternatively to that, you can create a backup image of the entire drive by using the Windows 7 system image tool.

blackbomb
12-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Hope you don't mind if I refer you to this sticky thread for more information which you may want to check if you haven't already "http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&p=342084#post342084" .

Anyway, using the ASUS Backtracker software is pretty straightforward and basically you just download, install, and run it to save your original ASUS Win8 factory recovery partition to a 16Gb or larger USB drive.
You may want to think of it as creating recovery disks, but to a USB drive instead of DVDs.
After you restore the ASUS Backtracker back-up, Windows will be back to the factory original condition like when you first bought it.
It doesn't save anything else, so if you have other things you want to save, back everything else up if necessary, or use a different program to back-up your entire hard drive image if you prefer.

If you just received the notebook, run ASUS Backtracker to make the back-up first and don't worry about removing hard drives yet.
Sounds like hmscott was suggesting this for customers that are upgrading their hard drive and reinstalling the ASUS Win8 image with your ASUS Backtracker back-up which doesn't sound like you are planning to do yet.

If possible though, it's a good idea to test your backup with another hard drive just to confirm everything will work properly when you need it.

Sorry, we may have given you too much information this time if you are just concerned about backing up your original ASUS Win8 factory image rather than upgrading to another hard drive, so just ignore the other unrelated material if necessary.

Thanks for helping me out .

cl-Albert
12-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Glad I could help.