Pretty nice upgrade from my G73jh
Now to learn win8.
Everyone have a good nite and
Happy ROG_n

Doug

Congrats Doug! :)

kb0sdq
12-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Well just a quick update. I got my new G750Jh today been getting it set up. Started installing my games BF4 wow D3 and so on and got stopped in my tracks when the machine said out of disk space, I was like what??? I have one 1tb and 2 ssd each 128g Well little did I know that the ssd drive marked "c" was first and filled up with windows files. Once I figured it out I now know to designate the downloads to different drives. Would have been noce if windows was smart enough to allocate the files accross all the drives as needed. But I have the games I use a lot on the ssd'd.
Finished installing updates including win 8.1 From a score of zero to 10 I would rate this machine at a 9.
win 8 was not as bad as I thought it would be, being there is a "desktop" that you can click to.
Anyhow games look great will run them tomorrow and see how the frame rates are.
Happy ROG_n

Doug

Woofyhugger
12-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the JH club. Love mine, even with Winblows 8.1.

hmscott
12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Well just a quick update. I got my new G750Jh today been getting it set up. Started installing my games BF4 wow D3 and so on and got stopped in my tracks when the machine said out of disk space, I was like what??? I have one 1tb and 2 ssd each 128g Well little did I know that the ssd drive marked "c" was first and filled up with windows files. Once I figured it out I now know to designate the downloads to different drives. Would have been noce if windows was smart enough to allocate the files accross all the drives as needed. But I have the games I use a lot on the ssd'd.
Finished installing updates including win 8.1 From a score of zero to 10 I would rate this machine at a 9.
win 8 was not as bad as I thought it would be, being there is a "desktop" that you can click to.
Anyhow games look great will run them tomorrow and see how the frame rates are.
Happy ROG_n

Doug

Hey Doug, rather than split up installs across 2 volumes on the SSD, which btw never works out as you expect as a number of files still get installed in the C drive Windows folder even if you specify the D drive...

You can combine volumes in Windows, it's easy. You will need to uninstall the apps on the D drive before doing the combining - you need to delete the D volume before the space can be added onto the C volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDRiTu2SP8

I did the same for my 1TB disk that came split into 2 volumes, here is how the both ended up:

kb0sdq
12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
wow thanks hmscott,
Only difference i see is that I have two ssd's 128 each yea I do not understand why they split the sata drive but guess they thought it was cool looking, lol Next deal is do you know how to turn off the charging usb port I have my deathadder plugged into the right side closest to the front of machine and when the power is on machine off the mouse is lit up I found a usb charging app and it says for batty use anyhow turned that off.
Anyhow Hmscott, you are a valuable asset to the forum I have hit the kudos button for ya. Seem like thru out the forum I see you helping folks and I wanted to say thanksHappy ROG_n

Doug

Randomname
12-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the JH club mate, have fun with the new machine :)

khmergod
12-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Grats Doug. I just ordered JH-DB71 off of Amazon as well at $2239+tax. I thought it was fair for a new powerful system. ~$500 less than alienware's same specced. I usually upgrade systems every 4-5 years anyhow and the new system should last me that long. I now stare at rog forums and await the arrival of my new girlfriend.

hmscott
12-11-2013, 06:40 PM
wow thanks hmscott,
Only difference i see is that I have two ssd's 128 each yea I do not understand why they split the sata drive but guess they thought it was cool looking, lol Next deal is do you know how to turn off the charging usb port I have my deathadder plugged into the right side closest to the front of machine and when the power is on machine off the mouse is lit up I found a usb charging app and it says for batty use anyhow turned that off.
Anyhow Hmscott, you are a valuable asset to the forum I have hit the kudos button for ya. Seem like thru out the forum I see you helping folks and I wanted to say thanksHappy ROG_n

Doug

Thanks Doug, happy to help when I can. :)

The power on usb while laptop off setting is in the BIOS.

kb0sdq
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
so being it says I have four drives according to the specs I have 2 128g ssd drives and one 5400rpm 1tb drive so by your picture above you combined both ssd's together and the 1tb together also?

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. loving the machine so far big difference from my G73JH when I went to cpu-z it says not validated no biggie maybe I have to turn the turbo off when i valadate it lol

Khmergod I know the feeling I watched this one come from PA and they had all that ice and stuff going on then testerday it said on truck for delivery between 1130 to 330 man that was a long day lol. I also looked at the amazon one.

Doug

hmscott
12-12-2013, 07:08 AM
so being it says I have four drives according to the specs I have 2 128g ssd drives and one 5400rpm 1tb drive so by your picture above you combined both ssd's together and the 1tb together also?
Doug

Doug, yes I combined the two partitions into 1 on each of the 2 devices. That youtube link is to a short video on how to delete the 2nd partition and absorb the resulting free disk space into the first partition. Allows using the C drive as all one partition.

Here is a view of my partitions after combining, via the Right Click on My Computer => Manage dialog

kb0sdq
12-12-2013, 01:17 PM
k will try it. When I watched the video you linked it said "this was for a machine with one drive or it would not work" that is why I had questions about it Guess I should open the bottom cover and see so I have two drives one ssd and one conventional ? Also when I looked at the ssd drives there is a recovery on both Sorry to sound noobish on this but the first time I do a thing like this I like to research it

Happy ROG_n

Doug

kb0sdq
12-12-2013, 04:53 PM
This is what mine says

Happy ROG_n

Doug

hmscott
12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
This is what mine says
...Happy ROG_n
Doug

Doug, the 1TB could be combined, back up the data on the E partition and then Extend the D partition using the free space.

The SSD has a 350MB partition separating the C and F drives. You would have to delete that 350MB partition as well as the F drive to be able to absorb the space into the C partition.

It slipped my mind that I sacrificed restore/refresh capability to get that extra space onto the C partition for the G750JH. Sorry, I would have mentioned it sooner if I had recalled doing it.

At the time I figured I had already imaged my SSD RAID to an image file with Macrium Reflect for later restore in case of problems, and made an Asus Backtracker backup, so I blew away the 350MB partition - as it currently sits without that partition I probably wouldn't be able to do a F9 restore/refresh - and neither would you - But I haven't tried it...it could still work.

Either way I balanced the need for more space, with the hassle of needing to restore from Asus Backtracker or Macrium Reflect should I have a Windows problem, you can do the same :)

Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx

Asus Backtracker
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/

If I get time I will try coming up in the restore/recovery F9 and see if it will still work without the 350MB partition - but like as not it will also not like my combining the partitions, and stop when it finds that out as well. I guess I can drop and absorb the rest of the restore partitions space too :)

Let us know what you decide to do Doug.

kb0sdq
12-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Have a question. On ASUS member site it says there is two bios upgrades for this machine the newest being 205 when I tried to install it with win flash I get an error saying filename does not match and the only option is to close the program.
Also everytime I launch one of my games the asus live update window pops up, it says everything is up to date.
Happy ROG_n

Doug

cosmicmango
12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Have a question. On ASUS member site it says there is two bios upgrades for this machine the newest being 205 when I tried to install it with win flash I get an error saying filename does not match and the only option is to close the program.
Also everytime I launch one of my games the asus live update window pops up, it says everything is up to date.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

There are two BIOS for the G750JH - BIOS 205 (G750JH) - BIOS 203 (G750JHA) both are dated 9/22/13. BOIS 203 is the one you should download and install as it is for RAID0 BIOS 205 is for G750JH that uses AHCI. ASUS should rename them, everyone thinks 205 is newer then 203.

rajeshtechfreak
12-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Hey Doug how did you update your rig to 8.1 just the normal windows update procedure ..
Did it require reinstalling the drivers and stuff ? Or arre the w8 ones itself compatible ?

kb0sdq
12-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Yes sRajeshtechfreak,
All I had to do was click on the "store" app and clicked upgrade it did its thing few minutes and it was done. So I am currently on 8.1 working great.

Thanks cosmic,
Will try 203

Happy ROG_n

Doug

kb0sdq
12-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Ok cosmicmango,
Just updated to bios 203 all seems good. Thanks for the headsup on the bios version.
Happy ROG_n

doug

khmergod
12-15-2013, 01:51 AM
I haven't updated any drivers due to being afraid of something screwing up. I've only updated the realtek audio drivers. Do you recommend me updating the bios and 8.1 doug?

hmscott
12-28-2013, 01:12 AM
kb0sdq, I finally got around to removing the trailing recovery partitions on the C RAID volume, and ran into trouble deleting them - they are marked as protected. So I thought I would post the solution here in case you, or someone else wants to do it as well.

First, you need to start a cmd window as Administrator, then using "diskpart", remove the partitions. After the partitions are removed you can go back into Storage Management and Extend the C volume to add the now free space to the C partition.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: HMSCOTT-G750JH

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 931 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 1 Online 238 GB 1024 KB *

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> ?

ACTIVE - Mark the selected partition as active.
ADD - Add a mirror to a simple volume.
ASSIGN - Assign a drive letter or mount point to the selected volume.
ATTRIBUTES - Manipulate volume or disk attributes.
ATTACH - Attaches a virtual disk file.
AUTOMOUNT - Enable and disable automatic mounting of basic volumes.
BREAK - Break a mirror set.
CLEAN - Clear the configuration information, or all information, off the
disk.
COMPACT - Attempts to reduce the physical size of the file.
CONVERT - Convert between different disk formats.
CREATE - Create a volume, partition or virtual disk.
DELETE - Delete an object.
DETAIL - Provide details about an object.
DETACH - Detaches a virtual disk file.
EXIT - Exit DiskPart.
EXTEND - Extend a volume.
EXPAND - Expands the maximum size available on a virtual disk.
FILESYSTEMS - Display current and supported file systems on the volume.
FORMAT - Format the volume or partition.
GPT - Assign attributes to the selected GPT partition.
HELP - Display a list of commands.
IMPORT - Import a disk group.
INACTIVE - Mark the selected partition as inactive.
LIST - Display a list of objects.
MERGE - Merges a child disk with its parents.
ONLINE - Online an object that is currently marked as offline.
OFFLINE - Offline an object that is currently marked as online.
RECOVER - Refreshes the state of all disks in the selected pack.
Attempts recovery on disks in the invalid pack, and
resynchronizes mirrored volumes and RAID5 volumes
that have stale plex or parity data.
REM - Does nothing. This is used to comment scripts.
REMOVE - Remove a drive letter or mount point assignment.
REPAIR - Repair a RAID-5 volume with a failed member.
RESCAN - Rescan the computer looking for disks and volumes.
RETAIN - Place a retained partition under a simple volume.
SAN - Display or set the SAN policy for the currently booted OS.
SELECT - Shift the focus to an object.
SETID - Change the partition type.
SHRINK - Reduce the size of the selected volume.
UNIQUEID - Displays or sets the GUID partition table (GPT) identifier or
master boot record (MBR) signature of a disk.

DISKPART> list

DISK - Display a list of disks. For example, LIST DISK.
PARTITION - Display a list of partitions on the selected disk.
For example, LIST PARTITION.
VOLUME - Display a list of volumes. For example, LIST VOLUME.
VDISK - Displays a list of virtual disks.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 900 MB 101 MB
Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 1001 MB
Partition 4 Primary 217 GB 1129 MB
Partition 5 Recovery 350 MB 218 GB
Partition 6 Recovery 20 GB 218 GB

DISKPART> delete part 6

The arguments specified for this command are not valid.
For more information on the command type: HELP DELETE PARTITION

DISKPART> help delete part

Deletes the partition with focus.

Syntax: DELETE PARTITION [NOERR] [OVERRIDE]

NOERR For scripting only. When an error is encountered, DiskPart
continues to process commands as if the error did not occur.
Without the NOERR parameter, an error causes DiskPart to exit
with an error code.

OVERRIDE Enables DiskPart to delete any partition regardless of type.
Typically, DiskPart only permits you to delete known data
partitions.

You cannot delete the system partition, boot partition, or any partition
that contains the active paging file or crash dump (memory dump) filed.

A partition must be selected for this operation to succeed.

Partitions cannot be deleted from dynamic disks or created on dynamic
disks.

Example:

DELETE PARTITION

DISKPART> select part 6

Partition 6 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> delete partition

Virtual Disk Service error:
Cannot delete a protected partition without the force protected parameter set.

DISKPART> delete partition override

DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition.

DISKPART> select partition 5

Partition 5 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> delete partition override

DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

And, here is what it looks like after merging and rebooting, in Storage Management:

I'm saving the last 900MB to recover later if needed. I am going to replace the mSata drives with larger ones in the future, but for now this got me 21GB additional space.

Remember to back up your recovery partitions using Asus Backtracker before removing them :)

RCraig
12-30-2013, 03:31 AM
My G750-JHA arrived about 20 Dec 2013. Used diskpart, made the two SSD's [was C: and F:] in Raid 0 as 1 partition [C:] and the 1TB data drive [was D: and E:] into one partition [D:]

Works great

kb0sdq
12-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the info Hmscott,
I think I will leave it as it is. You know "If it is not broken do not fix it" I am thinking ASUS split the drives for a performance reason.
Anyhow Everyone have a Happy New Year

Happy ROG_n
Doug

hmscott
12-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info Hmscott,
I think I will leave it as it is. You know "If it is not broken do not fix it" I am thinking ASUS split the drives for a performance reason.
Anyhow Everyone have a Happy New Year
Happy ROG_n
Doug

Doug, Happy New Year to you too :)

chrsplmr
12-31-2013, 05:35 PM
brother D .. Awesome News. I don't know how I missed this thread.
Your a JH-man now eh ??
Smok'n Hot !!! This has brought a smile to my face for sure.

I'll bet your happy not to be up here in the mountains now, down there warm and toasty.. hehe
Merry belated Christmas my friend and Here's to the Best Upcoming New Year of All Time. Cudos. .c.

hmscott
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
This is what mine says
Happy ROG_n
Doug

Hey Doug, well I knew I wouldn't recommend merging 2 partitions knowing there was one between them :)

I just did a Asus Backtracker Restore on my G750JH, and as I was merging the 1TB partitions, I noticed that my 2x128GB RAID partitions don't have a 350MB partition between them like yours... weird, right? That is how G750JH was originally configured, which made it easy to merge the partitions - which is why I recommended you do the same.

I wonder if somehow we have different build G750JH-DB71's? Mine uses a JHA BIOS rather than a JH...

Anyway, when you get around to doing a restore from Asus Backtracker USB you might find a more merge friendly partitioning like mine :)