PDA

View Full Version : G750JX-RB71 odd power issue when gaming

wikiweak
12-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Hello everybody

I believe I have an issue that is very odd for a laptop/notebook. I just received it in the mail about 2 days ago and already installed the most up to date driver for the GTX770 and downloaded a couple games. Now the problem is that I am able to run ultra settings and have a perfect running game (no matter what it is) whenever I have the power plugged in, however once I unplug it I have frame rate issues no matter the settings. I have already messed around with the Nvidia control panel and changed the power setting to "prefer maximum performance". I'm not sure where to go from here. I really like the computer and am hoping this can be resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This just seems like a really odd problem for a laptop.

Specs are below but I'm sure most people already know them.

Intel® Core™ i7 2.4GHz processor
12GB DDR3 SDRAM
750GB hard drive
SuperMulti drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX770M 3G graphics
17.3" Full HD LED-backit display

hmscott
12-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Hello everybody

I believe I have an issue that is very odd for a laptop/notebook. I just received it in the mail about 2 days ago and already installed the most up to date driver for the GTX770 and downloaded a couple games. Now the problem is that I am able to run ultra settings and have a perfect running game (no matter what it is) whenever I have the power plugged in, however once I unplug it I have frame rate issues no matter the settings. I have already messed around with the Nvidia control panel and changed the power setting to "prefer maximum performance". I'm not sure where to go from here. I really like the computer and am hoping this can be resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This just seems like a really odd problem for a laptop.

Specs are below but I'm sure most people already know them.

Intel® Core™ i7 2.4GHz processor
12GB DDR3 SDRAM
750GB hard drive
SuperMulti drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX770M 3G graphics
17.3" Full HD LED-backit display

wikiweak, that is the "Achilles Heal" of the G750 series, battery operation runs the GPU at low speed... and until the recent BIOS update - look for the newest BIOS for your model on support.asus.com - the CPU also used to down clock to 700mhz.

With the newest BIOS the CPU will run at full speed, but the GPU can't run fast because there isn't enough power delivery from the battery alone to feed all the active cores on the GTX, so it goes into a lower power mode.

IDK if anyone has done any benchmarks to categorize the speed, but some have said they can tune the option on many games to make them playable with the slower GPU setting.

Asus opted for full performance under AC operation, rather than enabling Intel onboard GPU - and suffering through the auto-switching nightmare that some have experienced on Intel/Discrete GPU laptops.

So far it doesn't bother me, I can play games, watch blu-rays, and stream video while doing work without a problem under battery mode.

But, if you want full game power, you will want to plug in.

Perhaps someone will come up with a portable external power source to mimic the 19.5v @ 11.8A my JH needs to run at full speed, and a trailer to pull it ;)

wikiweak
12-09-2013, 07:52 AM
That solves so many questions. Thanks a lot. I still find it to be an odd issue for a notebook to have.

Doesn't seem like a good combination of hardware when you cant take full advantage of it on the go. But oh well I guess. Just going to have to adjust settings when I'm not near an outlet.

hmscott
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM
That solves so many questions. Thanks a lot. I still find it to be an odd issue for a notebook to have.

Doesn't seem like a good combination of hardware when you cant take full advantage of it on the go. But oh well I guess. Just going to have to adjust settings when I'm not near an outlet.

These GTX cards, even though they are mobile versions - downsized and reduced power draw - still draw lots of power. The power brick on the JW/JX used to get HOT when I ran 100% CPU/GPU tasks for long periods of time. The little battery in the G750, even a big one, wouldn't last long at full power use.

You might make a post asking about the best settings for the game(s) you want to play, and likely someone here has already worked out the settings.