PDA

View Full Version : G75VW new Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD to be installed but what about the other slot?

spanishflyer
12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Now that I'm almost finished installing everything into one of my 750 GB HDD's after boot BIOS crash, I was wondering what to put next to the SSD once I get it running with a mirror image from my newly configured HHD...

Of course I can use one of the original HDD's, but was thinking that at the low price new HHD's are selling now, I could go for a bigger HDD such as a 1TB drive (selling for about US $70 or so). Can't afford another SSD, but maybe an SSHD could also be an option in order to have a faster "slow" second drive... What do you suggest?

Finally, I have 12GB RAM and under the bottom cover 1x 4GB RAM and the other slot is free; I guess I can order another 4GB of the same type and just slide it in; am I correct?

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Lorx7
12-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I just got a SSD i still need to install it but but im going to place the old HDD in that slot. you might want to put your music or file you dont plan to keep on the HDD cause SDD go bad if sectors get damage from too much overwriting on the same sector.

spanishflyer
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info Lorx7,

Please keep me posted on how your installation went and how you did it....

And I sure hope the SSD drive does not turn bad on me by sheer use, because that is where I will install all my OS, main programs and all the games, so I get the best performance, so files and folders will be constantly in use and changing....

The other drive will take the rest. I have three external USB 3.0 3TB, where I backup all my photographs, and an Acronis True Image incremental backup...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Clintlgm
12-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Not sure what you had in there but 500 oo 750 7200 rpm drives are pretty good. Adding the Hybrid SSD/Hard drive will gain you nothing as a data drive. personal I would rather have a 750 GB 7200 than 1 Gb 5400 drive thats just me and I have about 5 external usb 3.0 and 2.0 drives all but 1 have hard drives that I have upgrade something else.

Lawgical
12-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Hi I'm stuck! Could you please help me out! I bought a hyper 3k ssd and would like to use it on my second slot. So I installed it and when I rebooted the computer and went to disk management it did not have my ssd in there. Is there something I'm missing?

rewben
12-10-2013, 03:37 PM
hi @Lawgical, please go to laptop bios and check if the hdd slot has been disabled.