PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a dc jack for a G46vw?

reverendtrips
12-09-2013, 11:44 PM
ive looked everywhere, i cant find this component.

I see ones for other models, but none for mine. I'm 100% sure I need to replace the jack and not the cord/adapter, i just cannot find it anywhere and i refuse to send my laptop in/replace my moboard for a 1 dollar part. that takes 5 minutes of soldering to put on

edit: just got off the phone with customer support and not even they know what kind of jack this uses, or where i can find one, or whether other models use a compatible jack.

Pitcher@asus
12-10-2013, 02:15 AM
i suggest you send to service center to replace it.

reverendtrips
12-10-2013, 04:08 AM
but its a part that costs less than 10 dollars and will take less than an hour to replace, its only 5 points of solder. i appreciate the comment but there should be an easier way than paying for shipping+repairs+waiting all that time to replace something so simple.

there has to be somewhere to get these jacks or else no one would be able to independently repair this computer.

rewben
12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/asus-g46v.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-asus-g46v.html

i googled and these came out.

Shawnnepc
12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
but its a part that costs less than 10 dollars and will take less than an hour to replace, its only 5 points of solder. i appreciate the comment but there should be an easier way than paying for shipping+repairs+waiting all that time to replace something so simple.

there has to be somewhere to get these jacks or else no one would be able to independently repair this computer.

Look for ASUS service centers in your area. They should be able to do it for you under your existing warranty.

If you attempt to replace the jack you run the risk of voiding your warranty.

cl-Albert
12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Look for ASUS service centers in your area. They should be able to do it for you under your existing warranty.

If you attempt to replace the jack you run the risk of voiding your warranty.

@Shawnnepc, Thanks for the reminder about service centers.

Although we don't have many in the U.S., customers can check this page to see if they are near any of the U.S. authorized service centers for drop off service http://www.service.asus.com/#!service-centers/c1tqs , but this doesn't include the main ASUS notebook repair facility in Milpitas, California for those that are interested in this.

Couple more things below that may need to be considered when contacting those service centers, but confirm with them or ASUS support if necessary.

1. ASUS Support should be able to confirm, but notebooks purchased from Best Buy are not normally eligible for warranty service at those authorized service centers since they have a different arrangement for warranty service.
If you're requesting out-of-warranty service, this should not be an issue.

2. If you didn't already know, DC jack repairs for the G46VW would normally be considered physical damage and there will be a charge to repair them.
a. Confirm with the service center you are interested in, but not all of them may be able to get and replace the DC jack.
b. May not be an option for everybody, but the ASUS Milpitas office may be able to repair the DC jack out-of-warranty if you can send it to them, but they will need to receive the notebook to inspect the damage before they can be sure.