PDA

View Full Version : G75 instant shutdown / no power?

pka4916
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I've had this 2 times now that when I am reading something all the sudden the laptop shuts off and have to wait about
20 seconds before I can turn it on again.

This is what I found in the system log

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Anyone seen this before?
Using windows 8.1 and nothing got changed at all on my system..

SpasTaz0917
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I have been experiencing this for sometime now. after playingn a few minutes of BF4 gaming it suddenly shuts down. sometimes
yesterday while I was watching Netflix it suddenly shut down...

so it is kinda random. nothing wrong with my GPU as far as I know, since it is Max 65 Celcius while OC'ed to 720@1700Mhz on liong runs of BF4 gaming

so I don't know if it is the CPU or the Motherboard or some other crap :/

TokoDude
12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
ME 2
i have it maybe 1-2 times each month or less.

Clintlgm
12-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't have a solution for you guy's, But did you all upgrade to 8.1 or Clean Install? I cleaned installed, and in the last few weeks since I clean installed I haven't experience this?
There were a couple of drivers that needed to be upgraded for 8.1 specific, and I used Win 8 drivers for the rest of the drivers for the install. I had moved up from Win 7 HP to 8.1 Pro

SpasTaz0917
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah I notice that it was since I installed clean installed windows 8.1. That it started to suddenly shut down.
The windows 8.1 upgrade was fine but AutoCAD 2014 failed miserably, couldn't install again. Hence the clean install.

Read somewhere on the interwebz that the problem is caused by some sort of power delivery failure to the CPU, hence shutting down the computer suddenly.

But I don't have to wait 20 seconds like OP to turn the machine back on.

Spydyr
12-11-2013, 09:24 PM
SpasTaz

If you are like me and use if for business and pleasure do not update to 8.1. It blew out Solidworks, Esprit, AutoCAD, and Autodesk Inventor. All of these are required for my work. Thankful I did a system image before I did the update.

IMHO 8.1 broke more than it fixed. Also check your power settings because one system that we have that is running 8.1 without power tweaks is locked on balanced power settings and cannot be adjust unless you click on the Change Protect Power Settings. May want to look in that area.

SpasTaz0917
12-12-2013, 09:54 AM
this morning turned on AutoCAD when the system was just booted.
poof, shut down
2 hours after, using sketch up and AutoCAD and 3DS Max
POOF, SHUTDOWN, once again... thank god for Dropbox and autosave stuff...

looked it up in the event log
SChannel error 252 and Kernel Power error 41
critical: event id 41 - "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

and the sad part is that I have to write a big papir next week, sure hope the **** doesn't die die....

Spydyr:
I use it for school and games and lots of netflix at the time being :P

don't think that it is a heat problem since
the GPU Temps are has no heat problem as far as I know, MAX 75 Celsius when Burnin testing with Furmark
The CPU Temps are fine too

so now the question is: is it the Powerbrick? or some sort of voltage failure in the motherboard or some stuff.

and I can't send the thing in for repairs, since my warranty is burned :P have repasted mine x) change wifi card and so on

Spydyr
12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Okay I decided to play around on my system to try to duplicate your issue. I could not however after a little bit of checking with other friends of mine that are running different Asus laptops and desktops the first thing they said was download all the drivers and software for 8.1 from Asus. They claim they are different, I however do not know.

One thing that I am thinking of though happened to my desktop. I had my OS hard drive go bad. After I replaced it everything went back to normal. I know a lot of people don't keep 3 and 4 spare 3.5" hard drives laying around let alone 2.5" drives. I keep spares at all times so it was easy for me to get back up and running. I have also had RAM throw the same fit before. In my old G73 when the video card died it would power on stay on then shut off and may not turn on for some time.

As I work in the Machining Industry metal chips are a big factor for me and I make sure that I keep this beast clean as much as possible. I have heard of dust causing problems however do to how often I clean my computer that is never an issue. All this is food for thought.

cl-Albert
12-12-2013, 10:37 PM
@Spydyr, good point about metal chips and cleanliness.
If anybody has taken apart their notebook, you may also want to make sure you don't hear any loose screws/(metal) items or have any screws in the wrong places (longer screw in a place where a shorter screw belongs) although it's probably more likely the unit would not power on at all in these cases.

Anyway, my personal feeling is that all the G75VW notebooks don't have this problem and there may be more than 1 cause of it, so we may need to get more details for each to figure out what the problem is.

Some general suggestions are below for anybody that is interested, but if the problems started happening more recently, you may want to think about anything that was changed around the same time.

1. If you've changed or upgraded anything (memory, hard drive), try swapping or using the original parts if possible to compare.

2. Sort of related to item #1, if you're overclocking or doing things that ASUS may not approve of, you may want to change things back to see if they make any difference (sorry, I work for ASUS, so I need to mention this and hope it can help some people).

3. Doubt that software issues would cause hardware to power off, so we may need to start worrying about the ASUS hardware if you are not doing anything unusual as in items #1 and #2 above.
Wouldn't think a bad original ASUS AC adapter would typically cause this kind of problem, but if necessary you may want to make sure you are using the correct ASUS AC adapter with the correct specs and maybe compare on battery power too just to get an idea if it could be AC adapter related.

4. If you have a way to safely swap or remove the orignal ASUS hard drive and memory, you may want to make sure one of these items is not causing the problem.
It should be easier to check the memory under the unit, but maybe not possible for everyone to check any memory installed under the keyboard and you might also want to make sure problems are not related to the memory slot on the motherboard if you find a possible memory problem.

Anyway, hope this is able to help and we can get more suggestions if anybody is still reporting problems.

pka4916
12-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Well, all the drivers are from Windows 8 and not 8.1 except for the LAN I think that's on the Asus website.
but windows 8.1 will update these (I did not do that, since I only use wireless)

The Video driver I did download from Nvidia, but use that one for 2-3 months now without any problems.
I do have an Samsung SSD in it, and just did a recent firmware update for it.. nut other then that, it never gave me any problems.
Seems after that 1 incident, it's been working fine again..
Could COLD have something to do with it ??

SpasTaz0917
12-13-2013, 12:24 AM
I too have an samsung SSD..

yeah last time I opened it, there was a very small screw lying close to the wifi card.. didn't know where it came from, apparently it was from the keyboard plate.. screwed it back in. and I have never messed around with the keyboard plate or whatever it is called.

changed the power setting to high performance instead of Samsung high performance (created by Samsung Magician) today. haven't had crashes again so far :P been rendering like boss and stuff :) [knocks on wood.. it is already friday the 13th where I am] laptop is probably gonna die :P

just checked hardware info:
the only thing that was way off. was the battery readings.
Maximum Remaining Capacity 256.500 Wh
it's probably an error, I reset the values, it came back down to 66.510 Wh.
could also be that the battery is faulty, IF the readings were correct after 3-4 hours running HWiNFO64 Sensor status

yeah I am just throwing alot of info of what might be and what not.. just hoping I don't have to buy a new laptop.

tried duplicating the issue too, but it seems a bit random to me.

Dreamonic
12-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Pretty much all homered answers here except one I'd like to add into the mix.

A large amount of unexpected shutdowns with our G's seem to be linked from having the system coming out of sleep (not dependent on which C-state it was in.)

It can also be the system entering sleep during idle use (as this is the default power plan setting if not changed) which ends up storing to RAM, which in sleep (as well as coming out of it) everything is placed in minimum power state. This can give unexpected results like double booting, power key not powering unit up until pressed twice, black screens until system is shutdown and restarted, rinse and repeat.. etc when resuming to Windows at a later time or even after resuming and work load is continued; This is where the intermittent unexpected shutdown begins.

pka4916
12-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Hmm.. for me it happened when I opened my laptop (it's in sleeping mode at night) and was reading the news in the morning..
happened after like 10 minutes.
I rarely shut the laptop off at night... it's always sleeping mode, just like me :).. but during the day it's completely off

Ainen
12-14-2013, 03:24 AM
This is interesting, because I have a G55 and have experienced the same power-off after sleep issue. It can't be predicted when, though after the most recent occurrence it happened several times in a row, once even before getting to complete logging in. I'm running Windows 7 too. I've removed almost everything ASUS and thought it had got it, but then the most recent incident happened.

makery
01-29-2015, 03:27 AM
My daughters G75 started doing the whole power off thing after being returned from Asus for a repair which also happened at the same time she
upgraded her memory and the o.s to 8.1. Too bad no one has a solution to this. I hope it is possible to get it fixed for less than the cost of a new one.
It would be nice for asus to make it easier to get these kind of odd issue resolved and posted so everyone could enjoy their expensive laptops.

ibestudios@gmail.com
01-29-2015, 06:27 AM
@cl-Albert

The most recent change I've made to my system was updating windows to 8.1, which is around the time I started noticing the shut downs.
My system is completely stock from the store. I did install windows 8 as soon as I bought it which came out around the same time. Before 8.1 it had been working perfectly fine. This computer is in great condition and stays on my desk at home all the time. I have rarely moved it from it's spot unless I clean out the fans, which I do about every couple of months. I even use a separate wireless usb keyboard and mouse.

I've never really upgraded anything. Never had too. It has been a great machine until recently. I use it mainly for gaming, graphic design, and programming. Programs I use are Photoshop, Illustrator, and VisualStudio. On occasion I will use it to connect remotely to work. Games that I use it for is BF4, WOW, SC2, and Crysis, to name a few.

Not into overclocking, so that's not an issue either.

The only way I have been able to consistently trigger the black shutdown, which is the best way to describe it, is running WOW (low and good settings) on the power supply with the power settings set to balanced. Other than that it will be triggered randomly when running a graphic intensive game or program like Photoshop of BF4.

Last night I thought I was on to something when I noticed it would not crash when the power brick was not plugged in. And yes, it is the correct power brick ordered directly from ASUS for the correct model with the correct voltage. For good measure I tested the power cable. So I set my power settings to power saver. I then plugged in the power brick with the power saver settings, and low and behold I stopped getting crashes. Very odd.

Here are the error codes I am getting.

The error code I get in the event log is Event ID 41 Source: Kernal-Power, Event ID 41 Source: BTHUSB.

I am now re-installing all my drivers from the ASUS site in hopes that will work.

ibestudios@gmail.com
01-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Latest update: Re installed all the drivers. One thing I noticed was the Power4Gear power setting that it added to my power settings. I hadn't seen this setting before and was happy to give it a shot. As I have previously posted changing the power settings seems to have an effect on the black shutdown. I also updated to the latest NVidia driver.

The laptop was performing great, and then I opened up WOW and crash. It was getting late so that’s were it ended. I will do some more testing this weekend.

salvatorev89
01-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Same problem here, but to me it happens just while running a graphic intensive game like Diablo, Crysis 2 and all the new stuff. It never happened with Photoshop. I have a clean windows 8.1 system, but, honestly, I don't remember when the shuts down begun. Still looking for some fix...

P.s. Btw I still have an old version of Nvidia driver (ForceWare 335.23 Win 8.1 64bit). The latest driver cause me crash even with game like LoL.

Konstantin77
01-30-2015, 10:26 AM
I had the same problem. It was unpredictable and like 2-3 times per month ( while surfing and reading a word, not playing any game that time). It was not from the beginning, actually after I sent it to the service with HDD problem + upgrading to win8.1.So, I send it back to the service. They said that they did not found something strange (after 2 weeks...) and I got mad. I forced them to change motherboard and now I have not such issues. Now, I have windows 8.1, I changed HDD to SDD and memory modules as well. Never experiencing anything similar.
I am usually using the battery now, but for sure not at all while I experienced the specific problem. Does anyone with the battery attached experiences the same problem? If so, it is not a charger problem.
G75VX