PDA

View Full Version : Bought an used G750JX. O.S. mess with Windows 8 serial. [solved]

robertomorelli1986
12-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi all,
I just bought a used G750JX from a guy. The laptop is in perfect shape but the nightmare started when I turned it on.
In a nutshell this guy:

- deleted the recovery ASUS partition from the HDD
- installed his original copy of Windows7 (he formatted the entire HDD in order to do that)
- he removed his windows 7 and formatted again when he sold the laptop to me
- he then istalled a CRACKED copy of windows 8.1 on the laptop because he wanted me to find the laptop "ready to use"
- he didn't write the original Windows 8 serial anywhere, the recovery partition is gone, the original serial number is nowhere to be found.

So the question is: what to do? I have no idea. It seems absurd to me that I have to use a cracked windows 8.1 copy of windows on a laptop that actually has a valid windows 8 license.

Thanks in advance, sorry for my poor english (not native).

villiansv
12-11-2013, 07:14 PM
You need to obtain the Win 8 single language x64 ISO and install from it. It's available on the internet, not sure if directly from MS. Not going to post detailed instructions/links, as it may be against forum policy.

When you install that, it will detect the embedded bios windows key your laptop has, and should activate fine. You can also use a program called RWEverything from your current windows installation to see what the key is:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RRyuT.png

If the above method is beyond what you are able to do, you should speak to Asus for an RMA (or ask a more techy person to do it for you). Not sure how RMA/Warranty works when you buy it second-hand.

If you do know another person with a G750JX, you can ask them to run Asus Backtracker on their laptop and give you the USB - you can then use it to restore your laptop to factory condition.

demonz500
12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
If you want to recover the original windows 8, use this USB recovery drive (you will need an USB with at least 16GB):
USB Recovery drive: https://mega.co.nz/#F!m9JGSIjS!EuBGFFrgzLlOOB81dozoUQ

Download all files -> extract them -> format the USB (16GB or higher) to FAT32 -> Copy all extracted files to USB -> Restart and choose boot from usb -> Do a Refesh or Reset, the windows 8 serial will be automatically applied.

P/S: this USB recovery drive is the same as the Asus recovery partition.

Shawnnepc
12-11-2013, 07:44 PM
You need to obtain the Win 8 single language x64 ISO and install from it. It's available on the internet, not sure if directly from MS. Not going to post detailed instructions/links, as it may be against forum policy.

When you install that, it will detect the embedded bios windows key your laptop has, and should activate fine. You can also use a program called RWEverything from your current windows installation to see what the key is:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RRyuT.png

If the above method is beyond what you are able to do, you should speak to Asus for an RMA (or ask a more techy person to do it for you). Not sure how RMA/Warranty works when you buy it second-hand.

If you do know another person with a G750JX, you can ask them to run Asus Backtracker on their laptop and give you the USB - you can then use it to restore your laptop to factory condition.

As long as they have the original purchase receipt there shouldn't be an issue.

If you ever buy second hand be sure to get a copy of the original purchase receipt

robertomorelli1986
12-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Thank you so much. I think I retrieved the original Windows 8 serial number.
My only doubt is the "single language" version. What do you mean? The original Windows 8 copy was surely in italian, so I have to find a vanilla Windows 8 pro italian version? Or the english version will work fine too?

PS I got the original receipt, but I don't know if an issue like this is covered by warranty. I think anyway that I could solve it myself thanks to your advices.

villiansv
12-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Not sure about Italian, to be honest - I don't know if the key for an Italian OEM installation would also work for an English OEM installation. I'd think so, but cannot be sure. I assume that once you install English, you can also add the Italian language pack/interface, but as I've upgraded to my own copy of Win 8 Pro, I'm speculating (the OEM version is more of a home version, not Pro).

As for the single language - it's actually an OEM version of windows, and that's its name. If you search on a certain well-known torrent site for "windows 8 single language iso" you will find results (English for sure).

That being said, the Asus Backtracker image someone linked earlier should be the easier method.

robertomorelli1986
12-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Solved! Thank you guys.
I did a clean install from a Windows8 pro x64 DVD (english version) and the S.O. took the original serial number by itself.

simoyomismo
12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
If you want to recover the original windows 8, use this USB recovery drive (you will need an USB with at least 16GB):
USB Recovery drive: https://mega.co.nz/#F!m9JGSIjS!EuBGFFrgzLlOOB81dozoUQ

Download all files -> extract them -> format the USB (16GB or higher) to FAT32 -> Copy all extracted files to USB -> Restart and choose boot from usb -> Do a Refesh or Reset, the windows 8 serial will be automatically applied.

P/S: this USB recovery drive is the same as the Asus recovery partition.

hi friend
it is very usefull this usb recovery for G750jx ,can somebody bring the same for G750jw?
i am not sure that works for all G750 models
thank you