PDA

View Full Version : Next-gen product suggestions

Meteorhead
12-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Dear forumers!

I would like to post a 'survey' concerning a product suggestion and hear about your ideas on it's validity.

In the smaller form factors of gaming notebooks, I believe it would make a lot more sense to make use of a fully AMD based platform, rather than an Intel-NV pairing. With the limited size of the motherboard and the capacity of the cooling, but the large demand for power I think it is a natural choice to choose a vendor that does not depend on cross-vendor solutions to save power (Enduro vs. Optimus), but more importantly choose a vendor that has the potential to make use of the IGP and the dGPU in a hybrid solution (Hybrid CrossFire).

AMD lately has come up with a horde of technologies that will alter the face of PC gaming and user epxerience, specially on the mobile frtont: HSA, Mantle, AWD (AMD Wireless Display) v3.0, gesture recognition with webcam, just to name those that I know off the top of my head. With the imminent release of multiple Mantle-enabled titles, it would make even more sense to release AMD variants of multiple ROG notebooks. I understand that AMD CPU-s do not sport as great serial computing power as Intel variants do (among other things), but modern engines should feature parallel graphics engines (Civ 5), or API-s like Mantle can achieve this almost out of the box.

I currently own one of the few ATi based ROG notebooks (G73Jh), but sort of think the Core-i5 IGP is gone to waste by installing a Catalyst driver. But more importantly, being an OpenCL developer, all NV based notebooks are simply out of the question, as NV's own implementation is self-sabotaged and highly lags behind the specs. AMD having the only platform capable of the highest OpenCL 2.0 conformance, I would refrain from choosing a mixed-vendor notebook.

The next G-series notebooks would greatly benefit of a fully AMD based build, or at least having the option of having so, specially that having seperate cooler in all form factors fot the CPU, there's definately room for some stock overclock even. Joined coolers (such as in Razer 14") could also increase cooling performance. Here's roughly the kind of specs I imagined:

G47XX:

CPU - 35-45W Kaveri
GPU - 50-60W Radeon
RAM - 4-8GB DDR3 2133 MHz
Storage - 1*mSata slot, 1*2,5" bay
Networking - b/g/n/AC WiFi module, Gbit Ethernet
Display - FHD non-glossy (or at least 1600*900)
USB3.0, SD Card reader

G56XX:

CPU - 45W Kaveri
GPU - 60-75W Radeon
RAM - 4-8GB DDR3 2133 MHz
Storage - 2*mSata slot, 1*2,5" bay
Display - FHD non-glossy
USB3.0, SD Card reader, Blu-Ray

G76XX:

CPU - 45W Kaveri
GPU - 75-100W Radeon
RAM - 4-16GB DDR3 2133 MHz
Storage - 2*mSata slot, 2*2,5" bay
Display - FHD non-glossy (maybe WQHD)
USB3.0, SD Card reader, Blu-Ray

Ideas?

mehdi.moha
12-14-2013, 06:08 AM
+1
and not expensive ;)

mitvasya
12-14-2013, 01:03 PM
There is a wish to see the strong case (the cover of the display didn't cave in also the laptop basis), easy access to the main components (it is possible to clean radiators and to change thermopaste), stereo speakers to place on a habitual place (2.1 with a loud qualitative sound), slot-hole loading of a compact disk, the antiglare display with a good color rendition.