PDA

View Full Version : G73SW Keyboard backlight not working

monkeyodoom
12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
It hasn't worked since i got it back from repair about a year ago and really didn't bother me too much. But i was looking at videos on cleaning the fans/radiators on it and noticed on the disassembling video that the cable might be connected incorrectly when it was sent back from RMA. So i popped the keyboard off and sure enough the cable was upside down so i corrected it but still no backlit keyboard. All the other buttons are working (screen brightness and volume etc). I also noticed it does not light up during post. Is there a way to fix it? I've downloaded the fixmykb.rar file but haven't had the chance to try it out and have read that it might not even work on my laptop. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a fix. Is there anyway to test the lights to see if they even work?

cl-Albert
12-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the forums!

1. If your keyboard lights don't flash momentarily when you power on the unit/post, it indicates some problem related to the hardware/firmware, but it's not a Windows software issue anyway.

2. If your motherboard was replaced in an earlier RMA, it's possible the keyboard light was not enabled in the replacement motherboard. Not sure if the fixmykb.rar file can solve the issue, but if it doesn't, you may need to send it back again, so it's probably worth a try.

3. Could be a problem with the keyboard itself, connections (which you've checked), and/or motherboard, but since the problems started after you received the notebook back from rma, it's more likely related to enabling the keyboard light on your motherboard if it was replaced.

If you're interested, send me a PM at cl-Albert with your notebook serial number and I can check if the motherboard was replaced.
Hope this makes sense and feel free to ask for other opinions or clarification.

monkeyodoom
12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Is there a way to see if it is enabled? I would assume its a BIOS option?

cl-Albert
12-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't a bios option to enable the keyboard light for whatever reason and until the fixmykb.rar file was released (not officially?), the only way to enable it on some notebooks (fixmykb.rar will not work for all notebooks) was to send the system back to the ASUS service center and have them enable it if this was not done after a motherboard replacement.