PDA

View Full Version : First Hard Drive Enclosure Ever. Questions.

khmergod
12-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm new to this stuff. I plan on removing my 1TB from the JH model and using it as external. Any tips on where to find one or what brand/sizes? I currently have no idea.

PentiumCore
12-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi, if you are from the U.S just check on newegg, everywhere else like the U.K you can purchase them from outlets like Ebuyer etc.

However, universally you can just check on ebay as they have TONS of them.

The one you would specifically need would be a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure and be USB 3.0 compliant (although USB 2.0 is fine too.)

Oh and just to point out, you are aware that all G750 laptops have TWO hard disk bays in the laptop itself, so if you choose to add in another drive, you can do so easily (like an SSD) without having to take out the original drive.

Hope this helps.

Edit by cl-Albert: Hope it's okay to edit your thread PentiumCore (it's a bit rude, but didn't want to create a separate post further down).
Just wanted to mention there are G750JH units at least that only have a single 2.5 inch bay and 2 mSATA slots as you can see in post #2 by cosmicmango at this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41041-G750JH-msata. Not sure if there are or will be any other G750 models like this, but just something to watch out for.

khmergod
12-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Thank you PentiumCore. My model has the 128x2 raid 0 as boot drive. I already have an ssd ordered to replace the slow 5400.

khmergod
12-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Last question for the thread, but is our 1TB 5400 sataII or sataIII?

Prostar Computer
12-13-2013, 07:18 PM

I can't remember off hand. You should be able to find out by using HWiNFO (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) though. Either way, it doesn't make much difference (if you're concerned about performance).

villiansv
12-13-2013, 07:32 PM

For a laptop HDD it doesn't matter, they can't reach SATA 1 speeds, not to mention 3.

SATA 1 - up to 150MB/s
SATA 2 - up to 300MB/s
SATA 3 - Up to 600MB/s

I have one of the fastest mechanical HDDs (I'm speaking 2.5" drives) in my laptop to complement my SSD - a Western Digital Black 750GB. The fastest it can manage is around 120MB/s sequential read. The 1TB 5400 drive in the Asus is very likely slower.

An SSD, on the other hand, will push 500-600 MB/s sequential speeds (models from the last few years). So you can see that for an HDD it doesn't matter, but if you ever plan on using an SSD in that external enclosure, SATA 3 will be better. If not, it doesn't matter, as even SATA 2 is overkill. Of course, you don't buy an SSD to keep it in an external enclosure, so it's a moot point.

SATA 2 and 3 are compatible with each other, so regardless of what interface the 1TB drive uses, it can be used in a SATA 2 or 3 enclosure.

hmscott
12-14-2013, 06:40 AM
For a laptop HDD it doesn't matter, they can't reach SATA 1 speeds, not to mention 3.

SATA 1 - up to 150MB/s
SATA 2 - up to 300MB/s
SATA 3 - Up to 600MB/s

I have one of the fastest mechanical HDDs (I'm speaking 2.5" drives) in my laptop to complement my SSD - a Western Digital Black 750GB. The fastest it can manage is around 120MB/s sequential read. The 1TB 5400 drive in the Asus is very likely slower.

An SSD, on the other hand, will push 500-600 MB/s sequential speeds (models from the last few years). So you can see that for an HDD it doesn't matter, but if you ever plan on using an SSD in that external enclosure, SATA 3 will be better. If not, it doesn't matter, as even SATA 2 is overkill. Of course, you don't buy an SSD to keep it in an external enclosure, so it's a moot point.

SATA 2 and 3 are compatible with each other, so regardless of what interface the 1TB drive uses, it can be used in a SATA 2 or 3 enclosure.

Very true, but we are on the cusp of having SSD's around long enough that we are collecting old ones. I have a C300 256GB, and like my Samsung 840 Pro 512 will be spare when I get the Evo, so I am glad I made sure the last 2 2.5" cases I picked up are USB 3.0.

Here is what I see speed wise from the external USB 3.0 case with the Samsung Pro 512: