PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JW-DB71 Freezing During Normal Use

Soggy
12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I bought this notebook from amazon as a gift for my little sister. It seems to be freezing when browsing the internet, watching YouTube videos, or doing school work. Weird thing is that it'll run perfectly during gaming. When frozen, the computer doesn't respond to the touchpad or the keyboard. The power button would have to be held down for several seconds for it to restart.

I don't believe it's a battery problem, since it'll freeze regardless of it being plugged in, unplugged, or fully charged. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post more information about the computer, or the conditions that it freezes under if it'll help.

PentiumCore
12-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi,

Although unlikely to be causing freezes, it could be that the laptop is set to "Balanced/Battery Mode" in the power options.

Try switching it to High Performance by clicking on the battery indicator in the task bar.

Its worth a try I guess. I'm having some slow-down/freeze/studder issues lately too. No idea whats causing it.

Soggy
12-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi,

Although unlikely to be causing freezes, it could be that the laptop is set to "Balanced/Battery Mode" in the power options.

Try switching it to High Performance by clicking on the battery indicator in the task bar.

Its worth a try I guess. I'm having some slow-down/freeze/studder issues lately too. No idea whats causing it.

I'm going to try that and monitor how it performs for the next couple of hours. Why do you think Balance/Battery Mode would cause freezing?

Another thing to note is that this problem didn't seem to happen during the first two weeks after purchase. This is a relatively new problem.

jbreeze228
12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm going to try that and monitor how it performs for the next couple of hours. Why do you think Balance/Battery Mode would cause freezing?

Another thing to note is that this problem didn't seem to happen during the first two weeks after purchase. This is a relatively new problem.

Has there been any programs installed that are hogging system resources? What BIOS version do you have? If you're running on battery and Balanced/Battery Mode is selected it will clock down the processor to .77ghz. I have the JW also and I highly recommend getting a SSD to put Windows on. Night and day difference.

Prostar Computer
12-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Freezing usually points to a particular piece of software; sometimes it's a background service, like an updater or the like.

My recommendation is to uninstall the programs you're using that are causing the laptop to freeze, then either reinstall them and test, or install an alternative (e.g. if it's freezing while using Google Chrome, try using Internet Explorer or Firefox instead).

**Note** You mentioned it freezing while school work is being done on it; if Microsoft Office is installed and it's freezing during using this, only take my advice on reinstalling it if you have the product key! I wouldn't want you to be stuck without it and really need it.

Soggy
12-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Has there been any programs installed that are hogging system resources? What BIOS version do you have? If you're running on battery and Balanced/Battery Mode is selected it will clock down the processor to .77ghz. I have the JW also and I highly recommend getting a SSD to put Windows on. Night and day difference.

The only thing that I know that could probably hog system resources is McAfee Security, which I have disabled and uninstalled an hour ago. My BIOS Version is American Megatrends Inc. G750JW.207. 5/23/2013

I changed the battery options to performance, and I'm still monitoring it's behavior. It has yet to freeze, but it's still a little early to say that I'm in the clear.

Freezing usually points to a particular piece of software; sometimes it's a background service, like an updater or the like.

My recommendation is to uninstall the programs you're using that are causing the laptop to freeze, then either reinstall them and test, or install an alternative (e.g. if it's freezing while using Google Chrome, try using Internet Explorer or Firefox instead).

**Note** You mentioned it freezing while school work is being done on it; if Microsoft Office is installed and it's freezing during using this, only take my advice on reinstalling it if you have the product key! I wouldn't want you to be stuck without it and really need it.

That'll be a bit difficult, since the freezing occurs at different conditions. Like when watching YouTube videos on FireFox or Chrome. Once while on an Excel worksheet. I'll start isolating programs if changing the power options doesn't solve the problem. Thanks for the tip.

jbreeze228
12-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Go to Asus's website and go to drivers. Enter your model (G750jw) and select which version of Windows you're on and download the BIOS version 208 and use the preinstalled Asus BIOS flasher utility to update your BIOS. Should fix the the problem. I haven't used McAfee in years but I remember it being a resource hog and would lock your computer if it detected any threats. Try that and report back.