PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring HDD onto a SSD

ericwoot
12-13-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm having some trouble with my new 120gb kingston SSD. I am wanting to clone my c: drive over to it so i can boot from my new drive. When i first booted the drive up I couldn't find it in disk management. I found it finally under storage spaces and it allowed me to make it a storage space so then i tried to clone my c: over to it and it said that the new drive was a 4k byte sector drive and my current drive is a 512kb sector drive. So I guess what i'm asking is if there is any way i can change the SSD to 512kb sector drive? I've tried to format it to 512 and it's not an option under format so i went to drive managment and tried and when it completes it says it cant format a partition in 512 because "the cluster size is too small for the selected file system"

I apologize if i don't make any sense. Can't figure this out and i'd appreciate any help i can get thanks.

ericwoot
12-13-2013, 05:34 AM
so after doing more research i did diskpart cmd and learned that my ssd doesnt support 512byte sectors so ill have to use 4k so does that mean i need to do a fresh install with 4k sectors and then convert my old HDD to 4k sectors?

hmscott
12-13-2013, 09:10 AM
so after doing more research i did diskpart cmd and learned that my ssd doesnt support 512byte sectors so ill have to use 4k so does that mean i need to do a fresh install with 4k sectors and then convert my old HDD to 4k sectors?

Try using Macrium Reflect to clone from the old drive to the SSD, it worked fine for me.

You should erase the partitions on the SSD before cloning, Macrium Reflect will do that for you.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

ericwoot
12-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I had to use the CMD prompt and open up diskpart and clean the new ssd. Then when i went into disk manager it asked me if i wanted to format it to MBR or GPT... before it had defaultly been GPT and thats why i couldn't copy my MBR drive over to it. Now i can. :D Thanks i was trying to use macrium reflect before let's see if it works now.