PDA

View Full Version : RealBench and power supply question.

Gphish
12-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Would running the bench with moderate OC's push or continuously draw power from the power supply to such a degree that one could use it as a test to make sure power supply stable? or enough of a stress test to see if power supply does something weird?

xmanrigger
12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Not sure how much RB stresses PSU at high clocks, but if you really wanna stress your PSU, use OCCT.

Gphish
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
This morning starting playing BF4 as usual with no problems or crashes until now. When playing the crash makes all my system devices loose power until restart. When upon restart a BIO's error states that power surge detected and shut down or restart (forgot). Please enter setup to continue. SO I switched to BF3 for a while then it happened again.

I just used OCCT. I selected the PSU tab and clicked to run the benchmark. I left it on infinity. I used Logitech G19keyboard with display and used the cpu/ memory applet and EVGA precision to monitor. On the 65 sec mark I noticed memory usage peak to 99 percent that's when it did its thing. Now that I seen what happened the power supply didn't loose power nor did the M/B or CPU ect. What did loose power was all external usb devices and it locked up where I had to restart. This is also the event log from this morning
all events are the same. This now has became a thread I don't believe belongs in here. im using sabertooth x79 board. memory @1866 FOR 3960x at stock speed. Where is best place to move this thread. If you have any advise on my issue fill free.

HiVizMan
12-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I would try to eliminate other hardware and see what is left.

Start with the memory please. Follow the guide in my sig and run Memtest86+ follow each step as listed and if you have problem tell me where you where in that process.

Gphish
12-14-2013, 04:43 PM
OK, this morning I ran memtest86 version5.01. one pass took 2 hours and 3 minutes. Pass completed without errors running at 1866 Mhz.I took a pic of test results. Im not surprised due to the issue only comes up on BF4/BF3 and only when I ran PSU stress test in OCCT.

I do have another power supply to use. It will take me a hour or two to switch out. After I do that ill try to play it again. But im worried I might screw that one up. My AX1200 now and HX1000 after that it too risky right? I can use my phone to respond to this thread. In event viewer all the critical errors are kernel power. If changing the PSU doesn't resolve should I try Microsoft tech support to see if its a windows thing or think its M/B maybe the VRM?

Gphish
12-15-2013, 05:11 AM
It was the PSU. Got my old HX100 out and works like a champ

Nodens
01-16-2014, 01:32 PM
If you want to stress the PSU the BEST current option is RB2 stress test. Nothing else comes even close.