PDA

View Full Version : HIbernation and Windows Indexing

khmergod
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Your thoughts on these options? Enable or disable if we're using SSD raid 0?

Nehmia
12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
On Windows 8 you should never disable Hibernation is it is essential for the fast boot / fast shut down

Windows 7 For life

villiansv
12-17-2013, 05:12 PM
In my personal opinion, hibernation is pointless when you have standby/sleep. The laptop can probably spend weeks in that mode. I run windows 8.1 (fast boot is disabled in BIOS, as a cold boot on an SSD takes about 10 seconds, if that).

Windows Indexing - on an SSD it should be fine, on an HDD it depends on how good the HDD is. I used to disable it on my older machines, as the HDDs were slow back then, but now I don't bother.

Pitcher@asus
12-18-2013, 05:46 AM
i think it is after you, but windows 8 can not disable hibernation, you can set in power manager when you do something like close lid needs sleep or hibernation or do nothing.

hmscott
12-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Your thoughts on these options? Enable or disable if we're using SSD raid 0?

Unless you need the deep indexing of documents to find things quickly, and then only in particular places on the disk, I disable both. And, go so far as to disable the indexing properties on each disk. Then go into the index control panel and uncheck each of the indexed locations, defaults, and then rebuild the index => 0, and that keeps search active but doesn't do background indexing.

Hibernation off - doesn't affect boot time on RAID 0 SSD.

Disable VM too. Anything you aren't using all the time is a candidate for taking out of automatic startup, and putting into manual, or disabled.