PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Temps... Need some numbers please

itsgreekpete
12-20-2013, 05:21 AM
I was wondering if someone could tell me the resting temps of their 660m and 3610qm... I just did a repaste with AS5 and i forgot to record my temps prior to the repaste :eek:... just looking to see what benefits i gained (if any) so i know if i should repaste or not. Tried searching forums for a bit but couldn't find much. Thanks in advance guys.

Dreamonic
12-20-2013, 06:08 AM
I remember with my VW before repaste, the 660M was idling around 38-40C and my CPU around 40-45C. After repaste, my 660M was idling at 36C and CPU at 37-39C.

The load temps is where you see the major difference between stock applied paste vs 'less is more' method of repasting, as there is usually at least 7-10 degree difference between them.

GottiBoi55
12-20-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm getting on oem paste on my 1.5 year old G75VW.
1. CPU 32c
2. GPU 35C

PS: I guess I'm pretty lucky, I have a good factory paste job!
My temps are awesome!

itsgreekpete
12-20-2013, 07:13 AM
@ Dreamonic
Damn, I think i may need to do the repaste over again then...
660m overclocked idle with overclock of 1250, 2700 I have an idle of 48, with stock clocks an idle temp of 45.
and the cpu idling on high performance is at 37, 32, 32, and 37 ... Do you think i need to redo the repaste?
I noticed you said that load is where you notice the highest increase. Could you tell me what your temps are like under load? Of course, if it's easy for you to do so. I am just trying to gauge whether or not i should be repasting over again.

@Gotti yea man those are some pretty awesome temps!

Dreamonic
12-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Hmmm, I have some questions for you first.

Your OC'd 660M, are you forcing the clocks via NVIDIA Inspector (despite 0% GPU utilization when idle) or, are you using a modded vBIOS with voltmod?

I had to voltmod mine +163mV to reach 1300 on the core, stable! Idle temps are unaffected, but load temps sky rocketed upward into the almost and then over 90's until I repasted followed with a chassis intake mod! Basically dropped load temps around 14C!

Link here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32382-Need-help-with-G75VX-overclocking./page2 and here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33681-Laptop-Intake-Mod&

I can also replicate those idle temps you have if I change in NVIDIA Control Panel -> Global Settings -> Power management mode - from Adaptive to Prefer maximum performance. Keeping it set to Adaptive will run your P8 (low-level 2D/idle state) at 135Mhz @ .837v when very little GPU load is detected, thus lowering temps. Using Prefer maximum performance mode however, when idle, will not use the P8 state at all! So expect higher idle temps.

I'm trying to remember best I can, since all I remember was OV/OC load temps mostly. At stock voltage/clocks and paste, you shouldn't be any higher than 65-70C on load. If I add a high OC into the equation still under the same parameters, it should only raise your load temps a few degrees more.

Repaste again... well,

It honestly depends on how you are getting that high of OC on your 660M first, and what your load temps are at with the voltage and clocks set now, before you feel like devoting some downtime to compare a before and after with yet another repaste.

The CPU temps look fine at idle, but how about load.. is it reaching mid 70's? A repaste should put it around mid 60's +/- 1-3C.

itsgreekpete
12-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Yea I saw that intake made (where u out the extra filters on the outside of the case right?) It was awesome! Those clocks are from nvidia inspector. Up until now I thought that was the only way. I haven't checked it like that under load just yet, as I snt know how to check it under load in game just yet, just minimizig a game to check which usually drops the temps a few degrees by the time I see the temp.

Dreamonic
12-20-2013, 09:45 PM
You can use EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner for displaying temps, clocks, voltages in-game via enabling OSD for them under the Monitoring tab in the settings menu.

If you'd like a modded vBIOS for your 660M with higher clocks and a voltmod, let me know.

itsgreekpete
12-21-2013, 12:39 AM
My question is, what advantages are there to a voltmod over forcing pstates with nvidia inspector? Even higher clocks? Because if so, then yes I would like a modded bios :).

Dreamonic
12-21-2013, 01:23 AM
NVIDIA Inspector actually reduces a small margin of performance when forcing P-States compared to adjusting the clocks via OC utility instead; I have done enough benching to make that discernment.

A voltmod just allows you to OC higher beyond the limit of what stock voltage stabilizes your clocks at, while paired with an unlocked OC limit in a modded vBIOS, you'll get the best ratio of temperature/performance your card can give you; Testing for clock stability and temperature 'safezone' monitoring is how we know this ratio. Then we start adjusting voltage based on how high or low your current load temps are and then proceed from there.

itsgreekpete
12-21-2013, 02:24 AM
let's do it can you send me a link? and also names of utilities you recommend to use to do all this. Please, and thanks much dream :)

itsgreekpete
12-21-2013, 02:57 AM
just a quick update on my temps. ran a furmark 15 min burn in 0x AA, 1920x1080 res, fullscreen with nvidia inspector forced p state of 1250, 2700 temp reached 67C at the end of the 15 minutes. Now im curious to see where this voltmod can take me :)

Dreamonic
12-21-2013, 03:02 AM
You bet, PM sent.