PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming ROG Build

glenn with 2 n's
09-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Hello everyone,

Looking for some feedback from the community and any recommondations anyone would have.

A little history about myself, been building computers prolly since I was 12, (23 now). I'm currently active duty enlisted in the us army, on my second and final deployment, then will be heading to college to earn a degree in computer engineering.

So during this deployment ive been doing a ton of research and just scopeing out new hardware along with functionallity thats become aparent. Ive purchased the majority of the parts and had them shipped state side to my parents house and I'm down to the final 2 componets.

My build outlook is to assemble a vertical heat dissapation gaming system that will be more then capable of handleing the latest and most imerrsive games from realalistic too 3D, and what ever great content thats soon to come. Im expecting this system to stay functional for about 4-6 years. Heres the parts purchased so far:

Case, PSU:

-SilverStone Fortress FT02
There's too few vert heat cases out and I'd say between functionallity and options with a decent size this competes with maingears shift, minus usb 3.0 case support

-SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold
I figure this will beast whatever is thrown at it and run with little strain

-SilverStone PP05 Short Cable for PSU Set
Should give me any length options needed with the stock PSU cables to keep everything managed nicely.

MoBo, Memory:

-ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
This is going to be sweet, from what ive gathered soo far this will give me a broad range of options for testing and getting into overclocking

-CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB Memory Kit
There blacked out, look mint and have great reviews for gaming and overclocking

Storage:

-2 x Corsair 60GB Force Series GT SSD
plan to set them up in raid 0 for the OS and general programs

-2 x WD Caviar Black 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s HD
also plan to set up in raid 0 for media storage, videos music, games

OS & Add Ons:

-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 OEM

-LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner

-LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Player/DVD Burner Combo

-VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

-Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

-CORSAIR H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

So far thats whats waiting and to finish it all up is the CPU and GPU/GPU's
prolly will wait till im back state side to order the cpu which will be the 2600K i7
but between video cards is where im hung up, was originally planing 2 matrix gtx580's running sli but i dont think it would fit both with the add on cards since they take 2.5 in slots. since i just noticed the mars II 580 i think that will be my best best.
pricey but im looking for the build that will last in all areas. not saying thats what ill buy for my gpu but its got the apeal with out the lack of performance the 590 ended up with. the only hiccup for the mar II i need to find out is if it can fit in the case since its a 13" long monster haha.

right on, well thats all for now and thanks in advance :cool:

Cyrekk
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately the FT02 only has room for 12" cards (12.2" with one of the lower fans removed) so you won't fit the MARS2 :(. It would also appear that you cannot do 2 Matrix's either. Looks like you need a dual slot card solution man :(.

Also, when you get this beast put together (looks good by the way!) I sincerely hope you plan on sharing pics with us.

chrsplmr
09-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Welcome Glenn.. I second that, pics.
Im a huge fan of the nuclear blast proof Cooler Masters.
Room? You can put a shower in there. Enjoy.

Cyrekk
09-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Welcome Glenn.. I second that, pics.
Im a huge fan of the nuclear blast proof Cooler Masters.
Room? You can put a shower in there. Enjoy.

Nuclear blast proof?

Area 66
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Chrs the OP talk about a SilverStone case, SilverStone make case way bigger than Cooler Masters, I have a TJ-07 here with 3 rads inside and a TJ-11 waiting for a 2011 board.... as for the nuclear apocalypse, well I'm can stand on my corsair 800d , not sure I'm gone try on my Haf-X

chrsplmr
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
U will push the fan screens in maybe..yikes.

glenn with 2 n's
09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
hello peoples!,

yes i will defiantly get some pictures going for this build to show everyone
i think Iíve finally decided on going with one matrix gtx580, it meets the size limits of the case of 12" being @ 11.5, will take up the three pcie 16x slots in the middle of the board with the sound and network card sandwiching it. Looking at the other cards available it seems the matrix 580 will give me the most options, and straight up performance.

Iíve never played around with these 1x & 4x pcie slot, is there anything I should keep in mind for them? The last build I did was just a basic gaming rig, the mobo offered the agp slot along with a pcie slot, did decent for the time with a core 2 and 256mb xfx video card. haha all stuffed in this chincy xion case. think I swapped half the parts from school computers lmao good times

all in all Iím pretty excited about this build and the potential it offers. sad thing is you try configuring this set up from origin, maingear, or alienware and you will be looking at a $5000 to $7000 price tag. this build including the soon to be bought parts has come to a sub $3000 build. Ridiculousness, thankfully we have newegg and amazon.com haha

Cyrekk
09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Sounds good man, the extra PCIe slots could be good for a sound card if thats your style, or possibly a RAID controller if you want some mega storage.

PSA: DO NOT STAND ON YOUR CM CASE!

glenn with 2 n's
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
right on, havent looked into to much of the raid controller cards yet but its more or less for mass amount of storage right?

plus hopefully this mobo has a decent life span and isent replaced by another board or type in a 2-6 month span.... i hate that sh.... lol tech moves to fast at least for the current pricing

Cyrekk
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
right on, havent looked into to much of the raid controller cards yet but its more or less for mass amount of storage right?

plus hopefully this mobo has a decent life span and isent replaced by another board or type in a 2-6 month span.... i hate that sh.... lol tech moves to fast at least for the current pricing

I am really just saying these are things you could do with the spare slots, I am in no way recommending them unless you have a particular reason for it.

DarthBeavis
09-13-2011, 12:31 AM
I suggest watercooling . . .then your cards will be one slot each ;)

also - thanks for your service! What MOS are you? I was a 19D while active duty and then had to respec to 11b when I was National Guard (served under Reagan - before the desert wars though I did two rotations through NTC which tells you they KNEW what was coming up).

Cyrekk
09-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I suggest watercooling . . .then your cards will be one slot each ;)

Assuming that all the I/O is in the first PCI bracket.

DarthBeavis
09-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Assuming that all the I/O is in the first PCI bracket.mod it - solder and such ;) blow torch and dremel can make anything happen

glenn with 2 n's
09-13-2011, 03:33 AM
right on Darth appreciate it,

i'm a 11b also, kill!
working on getting out tho, once i get word back from the college i'm interested in then ill submit a school drop packet to finish my service and start school up a little earlier.

anyways, yes water cooling would be the way to go to recover room but ill wait until a place like danger den works out a solid gpu block for the ASUS gtx580 or at least some one comes out with an after market closed loop water cooling kit like PNY put on there gtx580's
^^^great concept and about time, hope its catch's on

Cyrekk
09-13-2011, 03:34 AM
mod it - solder and such ;) blow torch and dremel can make anything happen

Pics or it didn't happen! I want to see proof!

DarthBeavis
09-13-2011, 04:08 AM
They have 580 blocks (I have five of them installed and three more sitting here ready for a project). if you mean a different GPU I will talk to them about it for you ;) This area is sort of my specialty and no one you will find has done more Danger Den builds than I short of the four owners of Danger Den themselves.

glenn with 2 n's
09-13-2011, 07:54 AM
lmao that's whats up! :p

yea i knew DD had 580 blocks but seeing how asus's unique build to it (at least from first glance), i wasn't sure how that all works out with the reference design of the card and if the matrix card was different. ha that's the plan tho once i get all schooled up to know how a card is built from the chip board an up.

so from what i've gathered a true water cooling kit consists of, block (or blocks), block fittings ( i think?), reservoir, pump, pump power cables, tubing (3/8 or 1/2), fluid and probably a certain type of tube cutting tool to prevent mishaps. did i miss anything ? lol :cool:

DarthBeavis
09-14-2011, 04:07 AM
you want a list with options linked? I can do a post here of a water=cooling install step by step if that is helpful.

glenn with 2 n's
09-14-2011, 04:22 AM
that'd be sweet if it not too much to throw together, i'd defiantly appreciate it!:D

Cyrekk
09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Do I smell an "Official" ROG Watercooling Guide? Smells like rep to me, although I am thinking DB's Holocron already netted all the rep for him that he would ever need! Great job on that one by the way Beavis.

chrsplmr
09-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Ckk, yes, please do if you have time..somebody.
Cooling, Air flow..pressure, (I have heard you mention)
And Water.....I cant be the only one lost in this maze of parts.
That is an excellent idea for a thread.
Another question on that I would have is..
What combination of the two?

glenn with 2 n's
09-14-2011, 08:54 PM
well the matrix 580 has been officially purchased today from newegg, which also scored me a free copy of batman arkam city so0o that will be a sweet game to play

last thing is the 2600k i7 and all the build parts will be ready for me too just get the hell back in the states :p

Area 66
09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
wait Arkam City is not yet release ?????????? I guess it'S a coupon you gone receive ?

glenn with 2 n's
09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
yup i think up to the 15th (sooo tommorow) if you buy any 500 series nvidia card u get a coupon to recieve a copy :cool:

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
hey peoples didn't forget about ya
finally getting some set time to post

here comes the build!

the pyramid of fresh parts;

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
the retarded massive box, that is not light at all mind you

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:16 PM
unboxing this vault of greatness

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
open damn you!!!

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:28 PM
okay if anyone's ever been interested in this case i broke out a ruler as seen

this is to get an idea for modding a radiator into the top panel when i get into watercooling this beast.
so here are some pics of measurements of the top panel
(i had no luck finding info on these measurements online so here we go =P)

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
silverstone even thought of the little things, panel handles

m0bo unboxing

16gb of sexy looking corsair vengeance installed

some height to get a feel

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:48 PM
drool at this size comparison

and here's a swarm of different viewing angles for the 580 matrix because alot of stuff on the net has been more generic view ex top, bottom, side.....

cards a heavy mofo tho lmao

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
vertical exhaust fan

inside view of exhaust fan.... hmm i got an idea

got the cpu in no worry's here, and the brackets for the h60 went on smoothly

mmmmm.... sandwiched rad n fans along with the view of the m0bo installed ..ughh...

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:03 PM
and POW!!
disc drives,
sound card,
network card
& that big *******
installed an looking good.

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:08 PM
anyways mind you this build went threw the night into the next where i was still waiting on my dam speakers for a 7.2 sound system too get dropped off,
an they came all 230 lbs of them lmfao
so0o lil break to unpack an set up the tunes

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
PSU time and my next idea
so0o thing would not fit evenly to mount because of its nifty fan shield
so took it off and swapped it out with the exhaust fans shield
( the screws for the PSU shield hold the fan in place so i swapped the exhaust fan screws with the PSUs to keep to the color scheme of things
then mounted no problem.

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:22 PM
storage setups

2x force gts in raid 0 for the OS along
with
2x 7200rpm 1tb sata 3 in raid 0 for game installs

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:24 PM
idea number 3... lmao
i still have more places for space hmm..

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
you must die!

yup,
well now were settled on that i can continue =P

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
..the longest part of the build was wiring.....

hey look i made a pretzel!!!
didn't even mean too, i was tired as hell so this caught me off guard and i thought this was the funniest sh...

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
finishing up by adding a single 12" red cold cathode that is noise activated and adjustable

those of you who don't know this case's panels have noise insulated foam

so being as already knowing the panel would not set in correctly with that noise sensor

i went about getting the general area measurements to cut out a box of the foam

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
DAM THING STILL WOULDN'T SET IN!! So0oo0o...
(i was spent)
YOU MUST DIE!
(just really really tired)

...i was fully ready to crack this thing open make it smaller in anyway, ripp it to dam shreds.....

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 10:53 PM

doesn't a freaking little flat head pop it right off, no solid molding, random glue keeping it on, ....just popped off..

..slapped myself pretty hard for that one lmao

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
so0o...

Velcro'd that lil B.... in, finishing up the wiring

there's the light which is actually set on the top of the middle+back fans
(...more panel fitting problems... i don't wanna talk about it.....)

lmao

but other than that little b/s the build went smooth, looks clean and now its time to fire it up! =]

glenn with 2 n's
11-08-2011, 11:15 PM
i think i will name it hell spawn..

..the RoG Hell Spawn =D
(need to take pics with graphics on window still)

fired up no problem all was well and working correctly, fortunate for that! =D
went threw installed windows yadda yadda got steam going and finished deus ex human revolution up on max lol no sweat the 580 matrix rarely even pulsed into purple.
so far not into red from a gaming stand point
playing rage maxed and its just amazing.... next will be to finish batman aa since ac comes out the 22nd for computers =]

slaytus
11-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Sweet comp man looks awesome! :)

RoG
11-23-2011, 07:21 PM
nice setup man ;)

glenn with 2 n's
11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
right on, slaytus & RoG, thanks! all about the gaming =P

to finish it up, here's some pics of with the window decal and case badges on

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/images/Future/misc/pencil.png

Giannis996