PDA

View Full Version : G74SX NUMLOCK for KEY PAD

CYberjudas
09-12-2011, 01:52 AM
There have been so many posts about this issue but nothing has been done to fix it. There was a bios update that only partly fixed this. Now the Numlock light is on all the time. They only shifted the state of the keys but did not give us the function of the Numlock key. WE NEED A REAL FIX for BOTH states of the keypad, the way that every other laptop is. One that gives full function of the keypad. Not a calculator key. PLEASE FIX THIS !

GwynBleidd
12-16-2011, 07:31 PM
+1 on this.

This is a HUGE issue. I don't care about laptop's keyboard personally, but I want my EXTERNAL keyboard to work in both states. It's plain stupid that BIOS forces numlock always on.

Just submitted a ticket on this too.

P.S. For other G74Sx owners, here's a temporary workaround:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/NumLocker-Download-107584.html

(a program to keep numlock always off, or on, you can set it with a click).

fostert
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Agreed: We need a new BIOS that fixes:

1) Numlock & LED issue
2) Support for faster DDR3 clock speeds (1600, 1866) when slots are filled
3) support for 32GB RAM
4) *SOME* control over things like memory timings, JEDEC/XMP SPDs, fan speeds, keyboard backlight, and even voltages
5) << add your item here >>

380mcn
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
5) keyboard lights controlled by BIOS
6) wireless on/off controlled by BIOS
7) touchpad on/off controlled by BIOS

JRd1st
12-17-2011, 03:57 PM

1) Numlock & LED issue
3) support for 32GB RAM
4) *SOME* control over things like memory timings, JEDEC/XMP SPDs, fan speeds, keyboard backlight, and even voltages

I second that! +1

wanfeilwong
12-18-2011, 02:17 AM
If Asus does that I will be in love with this laptop again! I want my 16 gigs of 1866 ram speeds!
Also, please fix the WiFi LED to turn on when the computer boots up. Having to toggle the wifi function to get turn on the LED is a little annoying.

I know you can do it! You work magic on all your other products....

thesilent85
12-18-2011, 12:13 PM
If Asus does that I will be in love with this laptop again! I want my 16 gigs of 1866 ram speeds!
Also, please fix the WiFi LED to turn on when the computer boots up. Having to toggle the wifi function to get turn on the LED is a little annoying.

I know you can do it! You work magic on all your other products....

isnt the sandy bridge i7-2630qm can only support max 1333mhz!

fuzon1337
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
isnt the sandy bridge i7-2630qm can only support max 1333mhz!

In this other forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/606929-kingston-hyperx-1866mhz-g74-2.html) they're saying otherwise. :rolleyes:

JRd1st
12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
The official numbers are different from the real numbers, sometimes.... no, often. Otherwise there would be no such thing as OVERclocking. Right?

We NEED a BIOS that allows us to maximize the potential of our notebooks. That's what "gamers" are all about. Without that the G-74 is a ....FAIL!

GwynBleidd
12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sure other issues are as well important, but can we please stay on topic here? (Numeric keypad functionality in both states - numbers and arrows/pgup/pgdown/etc, as well as normal Numlock behaviour).

Personally I just got a completely meaningless and retarded reply from ASUS support suggesting me to 'press a Numlock key on the laptop'. It seems that they in support don't even take a look at their own products. Otherwise why would they suggest me to press a key which doesn't exist?

Numlocker from the link that I posted earlier actually works pretty well, keeps Numlock off or on and gives a more or less easy ability to switch between states but it's a workaround, not a solution.

faisal437
12-20-2011, 04:10 AM
We must also not forget that we cant press zxc or any 3 keys in that row at the same time... in any other row, we can. I need zxcv and /.,m to be free in order to play a game i love. Also, the bios is glitchy with many games, it keeps turning on and off randomly. Please make these 2 changes including what other people mentioned so that this laptop can become a true gaming laptop. Head the advice of your costumers, not ignore them. :)

fostert
12-20-2011, 04:10 AM
Personally I just got a completely meaningless and retarded reply from ASUS support suggesting me to 'press a Numlock key on the laptop'. It seems that they in support don't even take a look at their own products. Otherwise why would they suggest me to press a key which doesn't exist?

Jeez...thats brutal. Come on ASUS...you make the best but don't support it?

GwynBleidd
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Got another very interesting reply regarding Numlock issue from ASUS support today.

They said that G74Sx that they had in support was an early pre-production model, and that it actually had a Numlock key. After reading my ticket, they took another one from an actual retail store and were 'frankly surprised' to not have found a Numlock key on it.

So, they wrote about this to the central office so hopefully we'll see a fix sometime soon.

kb0sdq
12-21-2011, 09:42 PM
That is just sad. How can they build a product and not know what it has? Maybe Asus needs a wake up call.
Doug

xeromist
12-21-2011, 10:04 PM
That is just sad. How can they build a product and not know what it has? Maybe Asus needs a wake up call.
Doug

Not that it makes it right, but the people he talked to may not be employed by ASUS. Like many other companies ASUS contracts out support calls. That's really not a problem if they are properly briefed but I've talked to people who had no clue that the newest model of monitor even existed. I wonder if ASUS ever calls its support contractors posing as a customer to see how they are doing?

mmeyerj
03-31-2012, 07:44 AM
No luck yet, gents?

I can't believe this.

I'm beginning to dislike this laptop more and more.

CYberjudas
04-01-2012, 03:45 AM
I started this thread to try and get a response because i was getting nowhere by phone or email. The sad truth is that i don't think that ASUS actually has much to do with their ROG laptops, it seems like its own entity. Look at their website that has their forum. There is NO laptop forum to post your requests too ! That worries me. There is a forum for all their other products ! I am a VIP member and have stood by them since they started making Motherboards etc... As the owner of an OEM computer shop i have used their products and stuck by them for years and years. This situation with no responses and troubling support responses like " we have no idea there is a problem" and "Just press the NUMLOCK key" and "the pre production model we have here has it " is making me rethink my relationship with Asus as a company. This is going to be my last effort to get this situation rectified. If this cant be fixed i want a refund. We have been strung along for long enough. This has been going on since its release date LAST YEAR !

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm a little confused as to what some of the posters in this thread are waiting for. I don't like it either, but the G74 does not have a traditional numlock key. It just doesn't. A BIOS update locked the keypad in a numlock-on mode, but there isn't a traditional toggle for quickly switching it on & off.

Again, I don't like it either, and I think it was a supremely-boneheaded idea (which they must realize since they abandoned it in the G75), but it's not an "issue" to be fixed, per se, since this is apparently how they designed it....the G74 has a calculator key in lieu of a numlock key.

G74sxpoo
04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Its not like the keyboard and its issue are the most crippling defect of this line. They lost me as a customer... I'm ready to sell it on ebay and take the loss... REALLY I'M THAT PISSED.

Since the G75 is out, and its a VERY MARGINAL update in specs maybe its BIOS can be applied to the G74 and fix the keyboard.

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Since the G75 is out, and its a VERY MARGINAL update in specs maybe its BIOS can be applied to the G74 and fix the keyboard.

BAD idea!

It's a completely different model....completely different chipset and different design. If you tried to remane a G75 BIOS file and apply it to the G74, I'm about 99.999% sure you would brick it. Please do not advise owners to do this......

jsmith1642
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
There have been so many posts about this issue but nothing has been done to fix it. There was a bios update that only partly fixed this. Now the Numlock light is on all the time. They only shifted the state of the keys but did not give us the function of the Numlock key. WE NEED A REAL FIX for BOTH states of the keypad, the way that every other laptop is. One that gives full function of the keypad. Not a calculator key. PLEASE FIX THIS !

Here we are months later, and as far as I can tell, still no way to toggle to enable/disable NumLock. Like others, I use an external keyboard which has functions built into the driver that I can't use on the G74sx. Or am I still missing something. Have updated bios and continue to check for more updates and threads to see if someone has posted a new idea on how to fix this (other than a 3rd party Numlocker). Can anyone help?

G74sxpoo
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
And that would be bad? The G74SX is an abortion of a 'gaming laptop'. Maybe if I brick the BIOS 3 times I can activate the lemon law and get another just to tie up the support channel. YES, ASUS ROG SUCKS THAT BAD.

dataDave
04-13-2012, 05:56 AM

1) Numlock & LED issue
3) support for 32GB RAM

I just ordered a G74SX with 16gb (4x 4gb) of 1600mhz... Does this mean it will only be running at 1333mhz until this gets addressed?

I'm not too concerned as long as it DOES get looked into at some point.

pa2806n
04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Dont brick it. I am in that situation now. When I called them, thay told me that my warranty was void. Come to find out they lied to me. I sent it to a mobo repair service on what they told me and now I am screwed. What ever you do, dont take there advice. They are not traind computer techs. They dont care about these issues. I have told them about the BDPROHOT issue that people have been complaining about since last year. They told me that they haven heard anything about it. I told them to just google g74SX and you will find it. They said they would get back to me on that. They didnt. My Num Lock light is stuck on all the time as well.

I to am very pissed and I understand how you all feel. The laptop part of Asus must be very differen than the mobo side. I have built several computers with there mobos and they are great. Got a Rampage II and its badass. I think we should all just put a sign on our laptops labled P.O.S. and send them to Asus. That would be funny.

CYberjudas
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Still no satisfaction. Back to the phone support. WHat good is a warranty when they just deny there is a problem and wait until we all go away and the new version of their crap comes out.

BrodyBoy
06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Still no satisfaction. Back to the phone support. WHat good is a warranty when they just deny there is a problem and wait until we all go away and the new version of their crap comes out.
Still no satisfaction with what? What problem are you experiencing that they're denying warranty coverage for?

Specific issues aside, I think you described the general business/service model pretty well. It's no comfort, of course, but this isn't an Asus-centric problem. I think this practice has become commonplace in consumer electronics....the objective is to churn out new product that generates ongoing sales rather than support previous products.

Symho
06-13-2012, 03:35 PM
In this other forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/606929-kingston-hyperx-1866mhz-g74-2.html) they're saying otherwise. :rolleyes:

They are aliens...

http://ark.intel.com/it/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz)

Please read Memory Specifications by INTEL

MrRuckus
06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
They are aliens...

http://ark.intel.com/it/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz)

Please read Memory Specifications by INTEL

Just because Intel didn't test/verify/ok that speed, doesn't mean it cant be done. While Asus/Intel both state this laptop can only accept upto 16GB, this has been proven wrong by many running 24/32GB perfectly fine. It will run the ram higher then 1333Mhz, but it seems to occur only with 2 sticks loaded. I have heard others state even with all 4 populated, it will run at higher speeds, but I havent personally seen it yet.

These are screens taken from my own laptop. I hope to grab another two sticks of Corsair Vengance and run 32GB at some point. But it works fine with 24GB currently, even with Intel's own burn in tool loading all available ram. You do need to however upgrade from Win7 HP to something like Ultimate as HP does not support over 16GB.

When running just the Corsair, I can run 1600Mhz no problem.