PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75vw Bios No Windows Disc Boot

Andrew74
12-23-2013, 01:30 AM
The other day I was trying to factory reset my notebook using the recovery partition but for some reason it kept opening a text file with the word ERROR in red. Very annoyed I grab my windows 7 disc and try to install a clean version. I follow the normal steps, put the disc in and boot from the disc drive. Got a message insert a bootable disc or something. So I took the SSD out and plugged it into another pc and install windows from the disc without a hiccup. Put it back into my laptop worked great.

Questions:
Why was the recovery partition giving an error when trying to factory reset?
Why can't I boot a windows disc from the BIOS?

BOIS Version: 223
Notebook: G75VW

Note: All these problems started after I got it back from geek squad. They determined the motherboard had gone bad after 3 months of use.

Clintlgm
12-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I think the AI Recover set you should have made would have saved you? Your issue sounds like geek squad my have set you up MBR instead of UEIF GPT or you windows 7 disk may have been not had SP1 on it which is required to support UEIF. You might want to check out this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)for future reference. Can't help you with why the recovery partition didn't work. The clean install problems I think have to do with MBR (Old) and UEIF GPT(New) Your install media has to be set up to install UEIF and a MBR install can't install to a GPT Disk and vise versa.

cl-Albert
12-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Questions:
Why was the recovery partition giving an error when trying to factory reset?
Why can't I boot a windows disc from the BIOS?

Note: All these problems started after I got it back from geek squad. They determined the motherboard had gone bad after 3 months of use.

1. Unfortunately, if your Win7 G75VW motherboard was replaced and you see the dreaded big red 'ERROR' during recovery using 'F9' or the recovery disks, it means the motherboard replacement was not quite done correctly.
Not sure that you will want to send it back to repair again to fix this, but the good news is that you should be able to use your own Win7 disk to install Windows and you would only see problems using the ASUS recovery disks or 'F9' (actually, you may also see Windows activation issues if you could find a way to use the ASUS Win7 image).

2. Not sure why you couldn't boot to a disk, but some ideas are below.
a. Try tapping the 'ESC' key a couple times when the ASUS logo appears during power-up and wait for the boot menu to appear to select your DVD drive.
b. Change the boot order in the bios if you haven't already?
c. The 223 bios for the G75VW can show different settings depending on what version of Windows was installed or what kind of motherboard was replaced.
If you see an option for 'Launch CSM' in the bios 'Boot' menu, enable it, and if you see the option for 'Secure Boot' under the 'Security' menu, disable it (you may be able to keep Secure Boot enabled if you really want to) and try to boot to your disk again. These settings will normally show up on the G75VW units sold with Win8, but you shouldn't have any problems using Win7 if you change those settings.